Modern fertility treatments and DNA genealogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern fertility treatments and DNA genealogy

I came across this article on the increasing numbers of children being born with donor eggs and sperm, and thought about how much more "interesting" this would make DNA genealogy.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/egg-d...69-donors-eggs

Since it seems that many of these children are not being told the truth about their biological origins, there should be lots of people in for some big surprises in the future.

I read the link. Many of the donor eggs and embryos are unaccounted for. Sounds like there must have been a sinister black-market side to the fertility industry. I'm not surprised.
    It would be a shame if they destroyed/threw out all the records they have of the accounted for embryos/eggs. They should give the files to the donors and/or to the children born from the egg donors.
    I remember pretty intense recruitment at the schools I went to. The flyers were everywhere. They make you feel bad for the people who can't have children, for whatever reason, and they play on your altruistic side, by saying if you were a good person, with a good heart, you would do this great unselfish act to give the gift of a baby to a couple who so desperately wants one. I almost bended to that, but in the end I didn't because I couldn't deal emotionally with not knowing where my eggs were going to, not knowing how my babie(s) are. And injections, surgical removal....
    Some girls went ahead with it. I'm too attached to my eggs. And I am glad I never went for that. Saying no made me feel somewhat guilty, as if I was too selfish, at the time, but now I am clearly relieved I never did that because I don't have to worry about what happened to my eggs.
    Last edited by rainbow; 10 October 2007, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Rainbow,

I don't know anything about this recruitment practice.

Are you saying that fertility companies were canvassing schools for eggs and sperm? Were they post-secondary schools?

It amazes me why no one ever considers the feelings and rights of the children in all of this fertility business.

Comment

Originally posted by Pleroma
        Rainbow,

Are you saying that fertility companies were canvassing schools for eggs and sperm? Were they post-secondary schools?

It amazes me why no one ever considers the feelings and rights of the children in all of this fertility business.

Yes, for egg donors, at post-secondary schools.

Comment

Childrens Rights

Rainbow,

It is no differnt in the adoption world full of secrets and lies. Adoptions are sealed just like the records of egg and sperm doners. It's big business. This is where childs rights do not apply to children. Unfortunately the people who are going to what I consider a desperate attemt to have children don't think about how that child is going to feel when it grows up because the child was denied it's true identity. There are many adoptees and children concieved by other methods that have grown up and are in this forum as we speak. They grow up to be FTDNA's biggest customers. Taking every DNA test on the market to try and figure out who they realy are.

Comment

Tell lies to little SpermNEggs

I came across this article on the increasing numbers of children being born with donor eggs and sperm, and thought about how much more "interesting" this would make DNA genealogy.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/egg-d...69-donors-eggs

Since it seems that many of these children are not being told the truth about their biological origins, there should be lots of people in for some big surprises in the future.
            Actually ,unless you lie to the child I don't see where the deception is. Most of the donors tell you their known ethnic origin,virus status ,and blood type, and height and weight ,plus how many babies they have made so far ,so you have some idea of who they are.But they also have a right to remain anonymous. I saw a photo of a woman who bought a sperm baby and they looked so much alike,they both looked very Spanish-you can pick any race you like,and some people pick one very close to their own type,since many types of donors are available to choose from.It's quite liberating-you can choose any sperm you want,but not in the real world. DO YOU WANT ANY SPECIAL KIND OF BABY ? Sometimes your own is special if you can't get it anywhere;then YOU'RE on the endangered species list and you're special .I'd still rather fall in love with one of "my" boys,though-I really would.Then I'd tell the kids "you are what I am".

Comment

genetic defects

They do not check for genetic defects. I read an article a while back that a sperm donor was a carrier of a rare disease. The donor didn't have the disease but he created many children and passed the disease down to the children. How sad for those children.

Comment

Working...
              X