Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No exact matches, yet exact matches under different tab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No exact matches, yet exact matches under different tab?

Can anyone explain to why we have no matches under "Y-DNA MATCHES," yet under the "Recent Ancestral Origins" tab, I see this? How can i find out who these matches under "Recent..." are?

Thanks.

12 Marker Y-DNA Matches

Exact Matches
    Country (Number of Entries) /Comment/ Your Matches
    Galicia (36) Ashkenazi 1
    Slovakia (277) Ashkenazi 1
    Ukraine (688) Ashkenazi 1

One Step Mutations

Country (Number of Entries) /Comment/ Your Matches
    Austria (253) -- 1
    Austria (253) Ashkenazi 1
    Austria-Hungary (183) -- 1
    Belarus (303) -- 2
    Belarus (303) Ashkenazi 2
    Galicia (36) Ashkenazi 1
    Germany (5767) Ashkenazi 1
    Hungary (514) Ashkenazi 1
    Kazakhstan (42) -- 1
    Lithuania (479) Ashkenazi 2
    Moldovia (29) -- 1
    Poland (1472) -- 4
    Poland (1472) Ashkenazi 2
    Romania (288) - 1
    Russia (2046) - 3
    Russia (2046) Ashkenazi 2
    Russia (2046) Ashkenazi-Levite 2
    Ukraine (688) -- 5
    Ukraine (688) Ashkenazi 5

I believe that the answer is that only those who match you exactly or closely (one-, two-, three-step matches) and have set up their preferences to match to the entire FTDNA database will show up under the yDNA Matches tab. This is because FTDNA reveals name and e-mail address for close matches on this tab, which allows exact or close matches to contact each other. If someone has not given permission to match to the entire database, legally FTDNA has to respect their privacy.

The "Recent Ancestry Origin" tab only gives general information and the match remains anonymous. So there is no problem with FTDNA at least letting you know that these matches exist and the origin of the matches' ancestry.

Mike Maddi

Comment

Until recently, matches with additional information such "Ashkenazi" were not FTDNA patrons but anonymous subjects in research projects. FTDNA now permits patrons to list such additional information, but most matches with such information are research subjects. What is often not understood is that a match may be Ashkenazi ( or Sephardic or Cohen or Levite) but will not be identified as such. Indeed this usually is the case. In some situations surname may give a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by glintz98
        Can anyone explain to why we have no matches under "Y-DNA MATCHES," yet under the "Recent Ancestral Origins" tab, I see this? How can i find out who these matches under "Recent..." are?

[

DR WELLS goes on projects and tests people in palistine for being phoenicians
        they dont release to have their stuff on computors . thus generally they are listed but no ftdna database entry and email address

Comment

Originally posted by josh w.
          Until recently, matches with additional information such "Ashkenazi" were not FTDNA patrons but anonymous subjects in research projects. FTDNA now permits patrons to list such additional information, but most matches with such information are research subjects. What is often not understood is that a match may be Ashkenazi ( or Sephardic or Cohen or Levite) but will not be identified as such. Indeed this usually is the case. In some situations surname may give a clue.

most of those are from ftdna project which started it all

Comment

Working...
          X