I KNOW you guys hate this, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Tomcat,
    My uncle Jerry took the Ydna test. I was the one who took the autosmal test.
    All my male relatives live in Indiana & I live in Alabama, so it might be awhile before I get another direct line male tested. I plan on testing my brother. He looks just like my dad. Very dark haired, eyed & a tan like you wouldn't believe!
    Not like me, I'm strawberry blonde & hazel eyes & light skinned. Took after my maternal grandmother's side. A male in that line tested R1b1c. And of course, my mtDNA being U5a, had a hand in that as well.
    And I KNOW that your autosmal genes having nothing to do with your looks, but you have to admit it does play a part in it.
    Cinda

Comment

Originally posted by Cinda
      Hi Tomcat,
      There's nothing on my maternal side suggesting Middle Eastern genes. We've tested Y lines & Mtdna on that side, & nothing shows anything but Ne European. I've always looked at my father ethnicity with suspicion.
      He's very dark with jet black hair. He's desceased now, but he always said he was "irish". When I talked to his brother Jerry about the J2 results, He blew a gasket! He said it's impossible! I said DNA doesn't lie. He's a hillbilly from Ky & I'm thinking we might be Melugeon, whatever that means. It's debatable WHAT they are.
      But, if there is a melungeon or Lebenese in the immediate family, they are not willing to talk about it! I don't think it's on my mom's side.
      Thamks,
      Cinda
      I think it's from thousands of years ago. People from the middle east moved to Europe and the British Isles. That cluster of people from the middle east from long ago have a lot of descendants today. I've seen many people who are Irish/Scottish/English who could just as easily be mistaken for Iranian or whatever.
      And I've seen blue-eyed blonde and redhead people from Egypt, Greece, Afganistan, etc.

Look at Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney. They have dark hair and eyes, but we know they are English. Would I be surprised if they got a substantial South Asian or ME or MEDIT on their autosomals? No, I wouldn't.
      What about Catherine Zeta-Jones, George Clooney (very dark American. Looks Armenian), Shakespeare, Minnie Driver, George Hamilton, Malcom & Angus Young of AC/DC, to name a few? They are all of British descent. Even in old Scandinavian lore there is mention of 'raven-haired' people.

I don't qualify for the Euro 1.0, by ABD standards.
      They said my result was 85% to 95% certain. That means my 17% Native American could actually be 2%, doesn't it?
      Last edited by rainbow; 14 July 2007, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Hi Rainbow,
        Nice picture!
        I see what you mean. It's just such a MYSTERY. 20% is not a drop in the bucket by any means.
        I guess I wouldn't feel so alone if I could only get some YDNA matches. 4 years & only ONE match! Unfortunately the one match I did get was with a man who knows less than we do about our families history. At least our surname matched. That was SOMETHING.
        You what's funny, Rainbow?
        It's been 3 years & I have no mtDNA matches either!
        Not a single one. My mtDNA is not that unusual (I don't think it is anyway).
        It's U5a.
        My husband teases me about being a space alien. Of course he's R1b1c & had LOTS of matches. He just keeps getting them everytime a new batch is released. Same for his mtDNA, which it Tara. LOTS of matches. He just got 2 more a few days ago!
        What in the world is up with that? Has anyone else had the same problem? No matches after a long period of time? I realize that this type of DNA testing is relatively new, but come on!
        Opinions, anyone??
        Cinda

Comment

[snip]
          Has anyone else had the same problem? No matches after a long period of time? I realize that this type of DNA testing is relatively new, but come on!
          Opinions, anyone??
          Cinda
          Yes, I'm Y-DNA J1 of a type not found among Arabs or Jews, and I have no matches. Closest "match" is a genetic distance of 10 on 67 markers. I have read all the scientific papers I can find, and it is clear that my line is a stray from somewhere around the Caucasus into eastern Europe. I'm not expecting any more "matches" except in the scientific papers.

The origin of your surname May is southern England. Search the 1881 UK census here:
          http://www.spatial-literacy.org/UCLnames/Surnames.aspx

Three population movements might account for your J2. One is the spread of the first farmers during the Neolithic. Their trace is weak in Britain, but there may be some J2 from it. Second is people such as the Phoenicians who are known to have gone to southwest England to get tin. So far as I know, no one has identified their genetic trace, but there must be one, very slight, and it probably includes J2. Third is the Romans. The Romans did not leave much of a genetic trace in Britain, or at least to my knowledge no one has clearly explained it. But J2 probably came to Britain both with Italian Romans and with foreign Roman soldiers from Dacia/Romania.

As you have mentioned, dark hair is not rare in western Britain, and it is a signature of the movement up from the Iberian peninsula after the ice retreated.

So nothing in your J2 contradicts the theory of English roots for your family. Your most recent Middle Eastern ancestors might have lived 9,000 years ago.

Jim
          Y-DNA J1
          American permanently resident in Britain

Comment

Hi Jim,
            Sounds like we are in the same boat. I guess I'll be another rare hyplotype with little or no matches. It's so frustrating because I did not grow up with my father or his family. I only met him right before he died. My uncle Jerry was kind enough to submit his YDNA so I could run tests on it. So, while I kinda agree with your theory about it being Ancient, 20% is alot of ME DNA & maybe I do have a recent ME gggrandparent. You couple that with the Y J2f signature, well, who knows? Can you at least concede that point?
            The ME ancestry doesn't ALWAYS have to be 1,000's of yrs ago.
            I'm going to start another thread on this topic: Has anyone had changes made to theirr REO page? Not in format, but content.
            I'll explain in another thread.
            Good luck to BOTH of us on getting matches!
            Cinda

Comment

ABDNA & PHENOTYPE PART 2

Hello owner 101 started an ABDNA & PHENOTYPE ( PART 1) thread ,hoping for pictures & results from Tribes & DNA Print ,to see if people had any relationship re faces & results .I ve finally have my mug shot ( thanks to Daniel ) on ABDNA & ,PHENOTYPE ( PART 1 )Page #3 .via a link on his note .If anyone cares to take a look ,would be appreciated.. ,someone said to look "in the mirror " .I m adopted ,have a 35 % SOUTHERN European result on the DNA Print & several SPANISH ,Italian ,Brazilian ,Tribes results.Thank you, KAT.

Comment

I posted my pics, Kat!

Hi Kat,
                I thinks it's a great thread that Downer101 started.
                I wonder why some people are scared of posting their pics? I guess it's a matter of privacy.
                But, anyway, I did go and post a couple of pics of myself.
                I'm 78% Northern European, 20% Middle Eastern, & 2% South Asia.
                I certainly "look" like the NE, but my father looked (he's long since past away) like the ME! Very much so! I wish I could post a picture of him, but I don't have one of just him, & his other family might not approve. I didn't grow up with him.
                Cinda

Comment

Hi Kat,
                  I thinks it's a great thread that Downer101 started.
                  I wonder why some people are scared of posting their pics? I guess it's a matter of privacy.
                  But, anyway, I did go and post a couple of pics of myself.
                  I'm 78% Northern European, 20% Middle Eastern, & 2% South Asia.
                  I certainly "look" like the NE, but my father looked (he's long since past away) like the ME! Very much so! I wish I could post a picture of him, but I don't have one of just him, & his other family might not approve. I didn't grow up with him.
                  Cinda
                  I didn't grow up with my father either. You can 'crop' a group photo to show just him. I have a pic that I cropped. maybe Downer101 can crop it for you. Or find an internet place with a scanner, and crop it there.
                  I think I'll go post my cropped pic of my father in Downer101 thread. My 17% NA is from my father.

Comment

Phenotype-ABDNA -Cinda

Hi Cinda ; Well ,I think you look like a very English or Irish gal ! I guess we can recieve an overwhelming ?? number of physical characteristics from one or two ancestors & every other ancestor is left out , can anyone explain the roll of the dice ? Have you seen my photo? and my results , ? KAT.

Comment

Kat,
                      You are so right! It must be just a roll of the dice. My father being ME looking & me being SO NOT ME looking. I've never told you about my mom. She's & I don't share coloring either. She's just NE looking. Light brown hair, blue-green eyes & fair to medium skin tone. I look alot (so they tell me) like my ggrandfather(on my mom's side) who died young of black lung. He was a coal miner in the Ky coal fields. Died at age 41 & left a BUNCH of kids. His 5 daughters (my grandma & her sisters) always said "Daddy would've have loved you sooo much, you look just like him". He was red headed. So was 3 of his children. Including my grandma, Here's a pic of MY grandchild without the cap & gown. Looks like I passed it on!
                      BTW, Kat, where is your picture? Can you re-post in your reply? I'd LOVE to see it!
                      Cinda
                      Attached Files

Comment

ABDNA & phenotype & picture & link

Hi Cinda ;If you go to the ABDNA & PHENOTYPE thread ,started by Daniel Downer ( DOWNER 101 ) & go to page 3 ,he was kind enough to send in my picture ,the link is in his response saying he s sorry for the delay ,it takes a coulpe of min. s to clear ,I look like a giant brown blob for a couple of seconds. My DNA PRINT was 50 % NORTH EURO ,35 % SOUTH EURO ( MED. ? ) 15 % SOUTH ASIA , 5% MIDDLE -EAST. I dont think the 5 % means anything .My top TRIBES results are BASQUE , NORTH-EAST SPAIN , BRAZILIAN ,TOSCANA ,ITALY , BUENOS AIRES ,ARGENTINA ,CALABRIA ,ITALY.Take a peek ,if you d like ,I d enjoy the feed-back, thank you ,KAT.

Comment

Working...
                        X