Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• admin
    replied
    Gentlemen, I kindly ask you to stop this kind of exchange of e-mails, otherwise I'll need to end and remove this thread.
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• sheltonsofsurry
    Guest replied
    congradulations

Guess that makes you king of your little hill. My people where king of the farmers. I have also been told, that all humans come out the same way, through a female. so, what you are telling me, you rank higher than GOD himself, correct. I don't deal with, people like you. just because you are president clinton's brother, or Hitler was your uncle doesn't make you a better person. if you catch my drift. please don't write me again, because I consider you a blue blood or better yet a SNOB.

LARRY

Leave a comment:

• JohnSanford
    replied
    Re: an idea of what you are saying

I now better understand the wisdom of a wise adviser who says, regarding those who criticize: “ They often reveal more about themselves, than about the person or thing that they are commenting on”.
    We SANFORDs are a strange lot. Incidently you may be surprised to know that a Governor of your State of No. Carolina., who was also a several term Senator from NC, and a Pres. of Duke University for years, was our Terry Sanford, of Durham, NC. Also; the present Governor of So. Carolina is Marshall Clement ‘Mark” Sanford, who is also a Cousin of mine, and I have real documentation to prove it. Just thought that you may have heard of them. Sincerely, John Sanford, of CA.

Leave a comment:

• sheltonsofsurry
    Guest replied
    have no idea what you are saying

to the gentlemen in earthquake state of the united states. from the answer I got from you, is so negative, that , you where born from a pair of monkeys mating in their cage one night. so, what I understand from your answer, I came down the evolution ladder from early humans, but your line started from apes and monkeys.if you would like a direct debate from this very strong will southern man, you can write me direct, I wish in a way we still lived in the 1860's, I would definately challenge you to a duel. my weapon would be a 357 magnum pistol.

thank you,
    larry shelton

Leave a comment:

• sheltonsofsurry
    Guest replied
    Re: Real Vaue of DNA testing for genealogy?

Originally posted by JohnSanford
    I suspect that if you get DNA tests from several different testing groups, you will get a great many different reports. after reading many comments, and detailed instructions, I see a lot of confusing information. It is my opinion right now that the only thing that you can be absolutely sure of is - YOU HAVE SPENT YOUR MONEY, and it is GONE, for generations. John Sanford, of CA.

Leave a comment:

• JohnSanford
    replied
    Real Vaue of DNA testing for genealogy?

I suspect that if you get DNA tests from several different testing groups, you will get a great many different reports. after reading many comments, and detailed instructions, I see a lot of confusing information. It is my opinion right now that the only thing that you can be absolutely sure of is - YOU HAVE SPENT YOUR MONEY, and it is GONE, for generations. John Sanford, of CA.

Leave a comment:

• sheltonsofsurry
    Guest replied
    not having any matches with my shelton surname

hi anna,
    I have had the 12 and 25 marker test results, but I have yet to match any of my Shelton partners in the dna study. I do match in the 25 marker test, the cracroft family, we are only off by 2 markers. but these cracrofts, married into the Shelton line, through a John Shelton.
    my dna:
    5-8-4-6-5-8-5-4-5-5-7-5-10-7-8-7-8-8-8-8-9-15-15-16-17
    leo craycraft
    5-8-4-6-5-8-5-4-4-5-7-5-10-7-8-7-8-9-8-8-9-15-15-16-17

sincerely,
    Larry Shelton

Leave a comment:

• sheltonsofsurry
    Guest replied
    Re: Re: I agree with you, generally, Richard

Originally posted by casadecoqui
    Dear Richard,

Deb and Jim are perfectly right. When I answered your question, I was assuming that you already were a part of a surname group. My mistake. I was only speaking to your question. By considering doing the other 13 markers, I was assuming that that might clarify issues in your own surname group and that there then might be fewer matches to all 25 markers with others with different surnames.

Ana

Leave a comment:

• csmaginnis
    Guest replied
    Each additional marker increases the probability that you really have a perfect match. _Without the same surname, the percentage drops because some mutations accidentally produce the same Y DNA in more than one male in the 37 markers tested._ You will have to retest for 37 markers and hope there were no more than one mutation in either line for the last 400 years._ Since I am romantic rather than scientific, I am hopeful about this match since you both lack proof of the origins of your surname, do the same type of work, and have similar body traits and personalities._ I understand nothing of the mixed chromosomes that are also inherited from one’s father, but I assume that the matched traits imply that you both inherited some of the same mixed chromosomes from the male line.

Leave a comment:

• csmaginnis
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Richard
    Ana, thank you for the response. However, if it indicates a match with a person before surnames then would good is that going to do any researcher? If you don't have a surname then how does one tell the connection? And has I pointed a Y-DNA test is suppose to determine a parental lineage. Whether it is 12, 25, 40 ,60 doesn't matter how many markers the test is still to determine parental lineage. For any male that is the purpose for taking the test. So if I and another individual match but we are from different surnames but don't know our surname then how do we tell which son belongs to which father. And some point an explanation of it all has to be a little more explanatory. I'm not trying to be anatagonist rather I'm just wanting a logical understanding of the dna testing.

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    I don't know about that type of thing. I just know what is suppose to be scientific has alot of 'What if's'. And as Mr. Barrett stated:
    "You seem to have ignored the many time FTDNA has told us that even if you have a 25/25 match and the same surname you may not be kin. You must also have the paper trail."
    And that is a contradication to what is stated about matches for individuals.
    I'm trying to be optimistic and positive about DNA testing but slowly and surely I'm finding that what is suppose to be a benefit to paper research is in fact more of a detriment to paper research. In other words, genealogy researchers will now have to establish two catagories in determining families, there will be a 'This is the family according to documents and records' and 'This is the family according to DNA testing'. Hopefully one day the two will indeed compliment each other and help genealogist develop families.

Leave a comment:

• wolfandclaw
    Guest replied
    My husbands surname is Kimbley and most all of this surname goes back to one man in the late 1700's and everyone spells it exactly this way. That said, the original settler was from Germany and no one could understand him well so there was a final settlement on 'Kimbley' and no one knew this till some intensive genealogy work was done. He had the 25 marker yDNA test done not to find Kimbleys but to hopefully get a clue to what it was prior to the 1700's. This is an example of the concept in reverse to the one in this thread. ( no matches at all yet)

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    Mr. Barrett, thanks for the response. No I do not blame FTDNA for anything, and I'm not trying to take a small piece of anything and making it in to a case. The folks at FTDNA have been professional in their approach and I commend them for that action. I believe that all I am doing is stating a fact, nothing more nothing less.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    "A person's paternal ancestry can be traced by DNA on the Y Chromosone or yDNA for short. Only men have a Y-Chromosone, which they inherited from their fathers and will pass on to their sons."

Richard, you have taken a VERY small piece of the information that Family Tree DNA has provided us with and you seem to be trying to make some point out of that.

You seem to have ignored the many time FTDNA has told us that even if you have a 25/25 match and the same surname you may not be kin. You must also have the paper trail.

My personal opinion is that the real value in yDNA testing is that it can prove ALMOST without question that if you don't have a close match you are not kin through your male line.

yDNA testing is just one tool and it should be used that way.

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    Izzy, thanks for the reponse, however, that which I said that is in quotes is exactly correct. And as hard as one my try to explain that it is not correct, well, I am afraid that it can not be done. So that is why the topic is no longer worthy of discussion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X