X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: I agree with you, generally, Richard

Originally posted by casadecoqui
    Dear Richard,

Deb and Jim are perfectly right. When I answered your question, I was assuming that you already were a part of a surname group. My mistake. I was only speaking to your question. By considering doing the other 13 markers, I was assuming that that might clarify issues in your own surname group and that there then might be fewer matches to all 25 markers with others with different surnames.

Ana

Comment

not having any matches with my shelton surname

hi anna,
      I have had the 12 and 25 marker test results, but I have yet to match any of my Shelton partners in the dna study. I do match in the 25 marker test, the cracroft family, we are only off by 2 markers. but these cracrofts, married into the Shelton line, through a John Shelton.
      my dna:
      5-8-4-6-5-8-5-4-5-5-7-5-10-7-8-7-8-8-8-8-9-15-15-16-17
      leo craycraft
      5-8-4-6-5-8-5-4-4-5-7-5-10-7-8-7-8-9-8-8-9-15-15-16-17

sincerely,
      Larry Shelton

Comment

Real Vaue of DNA testing for genealogy?

I suspect that if you get DNA tests from several different testing groups, you will get a great many different reports. after reading many comments, and detailed instructions, I see a lot of confusing information. It is my opinion right now that the only thing that you can be absolutely sure of is - YOU HAVE SPENT YOUR MONEY, and it is GONE, for generations. John Sanford, of CA.

Comment

Re: Real Vaue of DNA testing for genealogy?

Originally posted by JohnSanford
          I suspect that if you get DNA tests from several different testing groups, you will get a great many different reports. after reading many comments, and detailed instructions, I see a lot of confusing information. It is my opinion right now that the only thing that you can be absolutely sure of is - YOU HAVE SPENT YOUR MONEY, and it is GONE, for generations. John Sanford, of CA.

Comment

have no idea what you are saying

to the gentlemen in earthquake state of the united states. from the answer I got from you, is so negative, that , you where born from a pair of monkeys mating in their cage one night. so, what I understand from your answer, I came down the evolution ladder from early humans, but your line started from apes and monkeys.if you would like a direct debate from this very strong will southern man, you can write me direct, I wish in a way we still lived in the 1860's, I would definately challenge you to a duel. my weapon would be a 357 magnum pistol.

thank you,
            larry shelton

Comment

Re: an idea of what you are saying

I now better understand the wisdom of a wise adviser who says, regarding those who criticize: “ They often reveal more about themselves, than about the person or thing that they are commenting on”.
              We SANFORDs are a strange lot. Incidently you may be surprised to know that a Governor of your State of No. Carolina., who was also a several term Senator from NC, and a Pres. of Duke University for years, was our Terry Sanford, of Durham, NC. Also; the present Governor of So. Carolina is Marshall Clement ‘Mark” Sanford, who is also a Cousin of mine, and I have real documentation to prove it. Just thought that you may have heard of them. Sincerely, John Sanford, of CA.

Comment

congradulations

Guess that makes you king of your little hill. My people where king of the farmers. I have also been told, that all humans come out the same way, through a female. so, what you are telling me, you rank higher than GOD himself, correct. I don't deal with, people like you. just because you are president clinton's brother, or Hitler was your uncle doesn't make you a better person. if you catch my drift. please don't write me again, because I consider you a blue blood or better yet a SNOB.

LARRY

Comment

Gentlemen, I kindly ask you to stop this kind of exchange of e-mails, otherwise I'll need to end and remove this thread.
                  Thank you.
                  Max Blankfeld
                  Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
                  A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

LOL Y'all shoud take the fight to a diffrent ARENA.

Been a long time since I did anything like that. Thankfuly the man apologized.

Dueling arenas would cut down on drive by shootings, but it does nothing for Familytreedna's liability concerns.

Max,

CYA would be a good idea here, just in case anyone decides to pull a "Sally Jesse Raphael."

P.S. For what it is worth, a few random mutations, that could make some people match, does not negate the majority that Will be related. A small margin of error, for a nice benifit says I.

Peace!

IZZY

Comment

"Something os puzzling about Matches with Other Surnames".

Originally posted by Richard

I am reminded of a sentence I read about Y-DNA tests and that is, "A person's paternal ancestry can be traced by DNA on the Y Chromosone or yDNA for short. Only men have a Y-Chromosone, which they inherited from their fathers and will pass on to their sons." And for my Y-Chromosone test to match identical with another individual of another surname, well, that just destroys the "inherited from their fathers and will pass on to their sons". And if that is the case then no one can really say this person is the father and that person is the son because their DNA matches. [/B]
                      Hello Richard,
                      "Something is puzzling about Other Surnames".! Over a month ago you had made the statement and started a ‘thread’ with your concern and a question. Since then, that thread was viewed almost 1200 times by many who may also have had questions about it, or opinions on it. I’ve had the same concern and wonder if you have received what you feel is a satisfactory answer to your question.
                      Do you still think that “something is puzzling about matches with other surnames”? If you are not still puzzled about it, would you please write to me and tell, WHY NOT?? I would sincerely like to hear from you again, with your ideas on it NOW. John Sanford.
                      -

Comment

Re: "Something os puzzling about Matches with Other Surnames".

Dear John, and Richard,
                        Perhaps the best was to approach your concerns with this testing, is to ask what questions you want answered with this testing?
                        If you are interested in this DNA testing for anthropological curiosity, or as part as a large surname study, then it would be very appropriate to do tests here (as that is what the tests are designed for).
                        If however you want to do these tests to determine paternity, then don't - these family tree tests should never be used to test paternity (there are other types of DNA test designed specifically to answer paternity questions).
                        If you can let me know what sort of question you want answered by DNA testing, then perhaps I can give you a more satisfactory answer.
                        Sincerely,
                        Angela.

Comment

John, Richard,

Statistics offer an answer to your questions, as it is shown here
                          http://www.ftdna.com/faq2.html
                          http://nitro.biosci.arizona.edu/ftdna/TMRCA.html
                          Also, reading the contents of the following links which puts in laymen's terms the interpretation of the statistics
                          http://www.ftdna.com/GDRules_12.html
                          http://www.ftdna.com/GDRules_25.html
                          http://www.ftdna.com/GDRules_37.html

will show that there's nothing puzzling about matches with other surnames, especially considering that matches with other surnames will fall in the area of curve with the lower probabilities.
                          Max Blankfeld
                          A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Re: Re: "Something os puzzling about Matches with Other Surnames".

Originally posted by AngelaCP
                            Dear John, and Richard,
                            Perhaps the best was to - - - - to ask what questions you want answered with this testing?
                            If you are interested in this DNA testing for anthropological curiosity, or - - - -
                            If - - - you want to do these tests to determine paternity, then don't - these family tree tests should never be used to test paternity - - -
                            If you can let me know what sort of question you want answered by DNA testing, then perhaps I can give you a more satisfactory answer. Sincerely, Angela.
                            Hello Angela,
                            I have very extensive and well documented records over the last 12 generations of my children's ancestry. Have no doubt about the paternity of any of those in my documented records. Would like to understand better the 'Merit' and actual value of these DNA tests for Genealogy purposes. Just how does this information add to, improve, and enhance our family history searches since about 1500 AD. Sincerely, John D. Sanford, of CA.
                            -

Comment

Re: Re: Re: "Something os puzzling about Matches with Other Surnames".

Originally posted by JohnSanford
                              Hello Angela,
                              I have very extensive and well documented records over the last 12 generations of my children's ancestry. Have no doubt about the paternity of any of those in my documented records. Would like to understand better the 'Merit' and actual value of these DNA tests for Genealogy purposes. Just how does this information add to, improve, and enhance our family history searches since about 1500 AD. Sincerely, John D. Sanford, of CA.
                              -
                              One quick example is that other people that had no doubts about their records and paternity issues, found instances about "False Paternity" - adoptions or ... Those were found through DNA testing and later confirmed by deeper research...
                              How can one be sure about paternity 10 generations ago?
                              Max Blankfeld
                              A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

John,

By the way, have you ever watched our video "Genealogy by Genetics - through the eyes of our customers", where several Group administrators - very reputable - speak about their projects? You can watch it here:
                                http://www.ftdna.com/videoaudio.html
                                Max Blankfeld
                                A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Working...
                                X