No announcement yet.

Indus Valley Civilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not an elaborate scenario. There are real reasons why people get unexpected results.
    I had read that someone else who was Dutch got an unusual match to Japanese. I happen to know that the Dutch did trade with Japan centuries ago. Japan had a bad experience with European traders and shut off trade with Europe. Except with the Dutch. Japan refused to trade with anyone but the Dutch. Trade was restricted. The Dutch were allowed to come into Japan only twice a year.
    And falconry came into England in the 500s, via the Chinese.

Comment

Dutch-Japanese trade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dejima

Comment

Rainbow:

The following are quotes from DNATribes:

"DNA Tribes Genetic Ancestry Analysis is a service that uses genetic material inherited from both maternal and paternal ancestors to measure your genetic connections to individual ethnic groups and major world regions. Your top ranked results indicate places where your blend of ancestry is most frequent and where your genetic ancestors left the strongest traces."

"DNA Tribes unique autosomal analysis complements other types of genetic tests, by using DNA passed down equally from male and female ancestors. The autosomal STRs tested by DNA Tribes are passed down from both male and female and both lineal and non-lineal ancestors. Each person inherits a unique combination of these autosomal STRs. DNA Tribes identifies the individual ethnic groups and world regions where a person's total combination of ancestry is most frequent or common."

As your chances of inheriting each autosomal STR are 50/50 between each parent, the odds of any STRs surviving from a single ancestor become vanishingly small over just a few generations. As DNATribes honestly states your results only indicate where in the world your blend of STRs are currently most common.

So if we take your example of a dutch sailor who married a japanese woman say 8 generations ago or 240 years, the chances for a dutch descendant to have a typically japanese marker is 0.5*0.5*0.5*0.5*0.5*0.5*0.5*0.5=0.004 or 4 chances in 1,000.

The DNATribes results should be strongest for people who have parents from one specific ethnic community. If your parents are from widely diverging ethnic communities, your results could look rather alien and be entirely different from that of your siblings.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Johnserrat
          Rainbow:

The following are quotes from DNATribes:

"DNA Tribes Genetic Ancestry Analysis is a service that uses genetic material inherited from both maternal and paternal ancestors to measure your genetic connections to individual ethnic groups and major world regions. Your top ranked results indicate places where your blend of ancestry is most frequent and where your genetic ancestors left the strongest traces."

"DNA Tribes unique autosomal analysis complements other types of genetic tests, by using DNA passed down equally from male and female ancestors. The autosomal STRs tested by DNA Tribes are passed down from both male and female and both lineal and non-lineal ancestors. Each person inherits a unique combination of these autosomal STRs. DNA Tribes identifies the individual ethnic groups and world regions where a person's total combination of ancestry is most frequent or common."

As your chances of inheriting each autosomal STR are 50/50 between each parent, the odds of any STRs surviving from a single ancestor become vanishingly small over just a few generations. As DNATribes honestly states your results only indicate where in the world your blend of STRs are currently most common.

So if we take your example of a dutch sailor who married a japanese woman say 8 generations ago or 240 years, the chances for a dutch descendant to have a typically japanese marker is 0.5*0.5*0.5*0.5*0.5*0.5*0.5*0.5=0.004 or 4 chances in 1,000.

The DNATribes results should be strongest for people who have parents from one specific ethnic community. If your parents are from widely diverging ethnic communities, your results could look rather alien and be entirely different from that of your siblings.

John
          My parents are not from widely diverging ethnic communities. They have the same ethnic background, British, with the exception of my fathers side also having Czech,& Dutch. And, according to AncestryByDna, Native American.

Why then, would DNATRIBES match me to 254 out of 567?
          Last edited by rainbow; 14 June 2007, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow
            My parents are not from widely diverging ethnic communities. They have the same ethnic background, British, with the exception of my fathers side also having Czech,& Dutch. And, according to AncestryByDna, Native American.

DNATribes does not really "match" you to 254 populations. For example, if you get results like A-150, B-50, C-25, D-5, and E-1, what it means is that, based on your particular blend of STRs, you are 3 times more likely to find your relatives among population A than population B and 150 times more likely to find your relatives among A than E. Only your top few results should have any significance to you and any others should be ignored for statistical reasons (which is easier in theory than practice ).

John

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow

Rainbow,

John called your attention to the principle of relative strength of match. Please post the numbers only for your match scores above 100. Or if you have a lot of them, just the match scores above 300 or 500.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck
                Rainbow,

John called your attention to the principle of relative strength of match. Please post the numbers only for your match scores above 100. Or if you have a lot of them, just the match scores above 300 or 500.

Jim
                I don't know what you're talking about. You must have a completely different report than mine. I have nothing in the hundreds. My highest goes into the teens. From 1.00, I have 254 matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnserrat
                  DNATribes does not really "match" you to 254 populations. For example, if you get results like A-150, B-50, C-25, D-5, and E-1, what it means is that, based on your particular blend of STRs, you are 3 times more likely to find your relatives among population A than population B and 150 times more likely to find your relatives among A than E. Only your top few results should have any significance to you and any others should be ignored for statistical reasons (which is easier in theory than practice ).

John
                  DNATRIBES said 1.0 and above.
                  My Czech and Welsh matches are near the bottom of the 254 matches. I know I am part Welsh & Czech, that is clearly documented in my family tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck
                    Rainbow,

Jim
                    I have nothing in the hundreds. My highest score is 12.5 Portugal, from December 2006. My extended/updated report of January 2007 has Portugal at 13.0.

I'm 1/4 Czech and my Czech Republic match is 1.45
                    My Wales match is 3.19.
                    My lowest match is Iceland, 1.07.
                    Last edited by rainbow; 15 June 2007, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Is the discussion here about "Indus Valley Civilisation"?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser
                        Is the discussion here about "Indus Valley Civilisation"?
                        Yes, you're right. I had started by saying that I too am matched to Pakistan in my DNATRIBES report. It's one of my top matches. I do think that the people of the Indus Valley dispersed in various directions. Obviously some went to Europe.

Comment

Working...
                        X