Clear All

Originally posted by dnaval
    I know that there are some characteristics of Native Americans,
    Such as second toe longer than big toe,shovel teeth(which I have
    both of) You may be able to find more info at the library or anthropology
    websites.

Hope this helps,

Val
    Thanks again Val - gee my big and next toe are the same length but I got shovel teeth too. i came across this site online - not sure if you've seen it, but it did stir up some thinking - http://www.othermetis.net/AboGene/Gene.html#Ancestry

Jodee

Comment

Originally posted by Jodee
      Thanks again Val - gee my big and next toe are the same length but I got shovel teeth too. i came across this site online - not sure if you've seen it, but it did stir up some thinking - http://www.othermetis.net/AboGene/Gene.html#Ancestry

Jodee
      Mary Ann Smith had that fold of skin on her eyelids.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat
        The son got his mother's mouth. If you hold a bit of paper over one side of her face and then the other, her right half seems friendly and lively while her left seems somewhat dour but intensely focused. Tried the same with her husband, his right seems friendly and his left suspicious. They both either chose their 'best' side for their photographs or the photographer did.

Someone though her darling or 'darling' may have been her characteristic endearment, so she wasn't all business.

Think her nose looks Native. She is quite petite but also a presence. The PA Quakers had a tradition of tolerance and accomodation toward Native peoples. Europeans immigrants preserved herbal lore and that would have been a point of commonality with Natives.

Enjoy looking at old photos.
        Hi Tom -

Ahhh so maybe it is through her -

I went back and looked at the faces. Thank you for noticing the left and right side expression differences.

My grandmother looked like her grandmother - same eyes, same mouth, same ears, but different chin - and out of her 53 grandchildren i can't help wonder how many looked like her too - or carried family stories that are out there.... by the way, she was also a midwife. I once started compiling a book with her in it - I put that idea aside long ago, but have a collection of stories about her from my aunt and father.

I'm going to pull out all the photos i have of her and start comparing those with her children.

And I'll gear my paper search through her line for now -

Thanks Tom. I very much appreciate the observations. I relish those old photos too!

Jodee

Comment

Mary Ann Smith had that fold of skin on her eyelids.
          Hmmm, thanks Tom -

Hey, i have it too!

Jodee

Comment

Originally posted by Jodee
            Thanks Tom - Well I'm not exactly sure but it appears her father was Scots-Irish and her mother PA German. Not to clog the place up with my photos here.... i do have a picture of her. Its from when she was older and I'm thinking she doesn't look Native American to me, but who knows? i'll post it here. Boy she's looking stern. One thing I do know about her is that she was a local "healer". My grandmother learned how to collect and use roots and herbs from her. She used to tell me stories about it.

But thats a thought Tom - the Native American line could be through her family. i know so little about them.

Jodee

PS - her pin says "darling"
            Your Mary Ann Smith reminds me of Dr. Ruth. I think Dr. Ruth is German.
            She is also petite and has the heavy eyelids, and a similar downward-pointed nose.
            I've seen her look 'serious', but couldn't find a serious pic of her, just smiling ones.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...611_drruth.jpg

The "DARLING" pin is most likely a family name. Possibly her maiden name or her mothers or grandmothers maiden name. Women often wear family-oriented jewelry.

http://www.geocities.com/jerushaf/da...ngsurname.html

The link above says Darling is an English surname.

Principal amongst the settlers which could be considered a kinsman of the surname DARLING on a variable spelling of that family name was FRANCIS DARLING who settled in Virginia in 1654. GEORGE DARLING settled in Boston in 1651; another GEORGE DARLING settled in Virginia in 1774; RICHARD DARLING settled in Virginia in 1651 with his wife Ruth.
            Last edited by rainbow; 15 August 2007, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Story with photo of a 12% NA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/18/bu...huDg2EZgeqnfHg

Comment

sister looks native american on attach.

Another phenotype question??
                This is a picture of my sister, she looks more native than me or my cousin
                ,although we all resemble each other to a degree.
                What is the groups analysis?
                She has brown hair, we got blonde.
                Same grandmother though.
                I will try and get some of myself,later.

Originally posted by rainbow
                I don't recommend it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Pictures

Pictures

1st one is mom 1992
                  2nd great grandma Tedder ( Rio Grande and NC ) Mom's side / NA
                  3rd great grandma Marsh ( MS and AL ) Dad's side / NA

Tried to upload more but it wont take some of the pics I have.

Jodi

MT-DNA Haplogroup B / Mitosearch XKBS6
                  Attached Files

Comment

Your mother does look like a Latina. The second woman looks both Native and self-identified with being Native. The third is WONDERFUL. The term ICONIC does not do it justice, it is TOTEMIC - the legs of the child are the legs of her matriarch.

Comment

Pictures

Your mother does look like a Latina. The second woman looks both Native and self-identified with being Native. The third is WONDERFUL. The term ICONIC does not do it justice, it is TOTEMIC - the legs of the child are the legs of her matriarch.
                      Mom's hair was suck in that 80's perm thing. Her hair is actually black and pin straight. No latin on that side. Poss. some Italian from her father. Grandma wont fess. We know her father was part native.

Ggrandma Tedder was 69 in that pick. She died in 1973. Right after that pic.

Ggrandma Docia lived to be 96. That pic was taken in the 40's. I just noticed the Leg thing. You have a good eye!

Comment

Picture

Thanks to X testing I can now claim my father.He passed in 1986. Here he is with my baby sis and her mother.

Jodi

MT-DNA Haplogroup B / Mitosearch XKBS6
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
                          Just curious to know if anyone thinks there is anything in Mum's Asian results based on her picture?
                          Does anyone think she looks of NA heritage (through her 11% EA score) or of Roma/India descent (through 20% of her make up being South Asian)?
                          She is 50% English so I know she doesn't look 100% but she's not 100% English rose either.Is the picture clear enough?
                          Thanks.

Comment

The picture is small and dim. Could you post it as a good sized .jpeg attachment?

Comment

Burto's mom

If you at least know her fathers first name, that could be a big clue as to what her American fathers ancestry was. Was his name Tony? Most likely Italian (Anthony), maybe even Spanish (Antonio). Was his name Aaron or Ari? Most likely Jewish. If Patrick, then most likely Irish. If it was Lou, it could be anything, from Luis (Spanish) to Luigi (Italian) or Louis (French or generic American), even a short form of Llewellyn, which is Welsh. Even the generic 'Bob' could actually have been Roberto (spelled that way in both Spanish & Italian).

My guess is her father was an Italian-American.

And your sig says her top match is Buenos Aires, and that city is largely populated by people of Italian & Spanish descent (and some from from many other places).
                              People from Buenos Aires speak Spanish, but with an Italian accent.
                              Last edited by rainbow; 29 August 2007, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Have you tested?

Burto.

Have you tested yourself and I have mised it? If you did what were your results? Too many threads to go through. Could you repost them.

Maria

Comment

Working...
                                X