What to put on Census-ethnicity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to put on Census-ethnicity

I guess we're all a blend of so many little things ,but what are the two main things you should list? I'm trying to be as accurate as God here. Should you list where you've lived anciently, or what you're genetically composed of mostly - even though you may never have met any of these people and know very little about their culture?? The census knows very little about haplogrps.,so I wouldn't go there.
    Are autosomals markers good to go by ? Is you largest match what you are??It's a little confusing because,my medical results, MtDNA and haplogrp.,don't all add up evenly.You can be a blend of Two things ,but I'm trying to figure which one is predominate-I figure one must be.
    There must be a way to define yourself pretty accurately,but I'm not sure how. You don't have to move to another country to be who you are ,but it helps to be written up correctly and perceived correctly.
    Of course all my confusion and problems come from the fact that my no- good,bum race group doesn't define themselves or provide for us culturally,so we don't know.

Well what is the main ethnic group you are made up of? I go on that personally and the country I was born in, even though a quarter of my roots are from another country. Most people's ancient ancestors probably lived a long way from where they have ended up.
    What is your "no good bum race?" why pull it down so much?

Comment

Originally posted by Jambalaia32
      I guess we're all a blend of so many little things ,but what are the two main things you should list? I'm trying to be as accurate as God here. Should you list where you've lived anciently, or what you're genetically composed of mostly - even though you may never have met any of these people and know very little about their culture?? The census knows very little about haplogrps.,so I wouldn't go there.
      Are autosomals markers good to go by ? Is you largest match what you are??It's a little confusing because,my medical results, MtDNA and haplogrp.,don't all add up evenly.You can be a blend of Two things ,but I'm trying to figure which one is predominate-I figure one must be.
      There must be a way to define yourself pretty accurately,but I'm not sure how. You don't have to move to another country to be who you are ,but it helps to be written up correctly and perceived correctly.
      Of course all my confusion and problems come from the fact that my no- good,bum race group doesn't define themselves or provide for us culturally,so we don't know.
      Why don't you ask them .

Comment

RE Census

I just put down "American."

Comment

Maybe I'll put down Jedi this next time.

MTFBWY

Comment

Native American and European.

I am Native American and European, I will put both.
            Maria

Comment

Originally posted by R2-D2
              Maybe I'll put down Jedi this next time.

MTFBWY
              There used to be a thing going around about putting Jedi Knight as a religion. I think the census people caught onto it somehow

May the force be with you.........

Comment

Originally posted by rivergirl
                There used to be a thing going around about putting Jedi Knight as a religion. I think the census people caught onto it somehow

May the force be with you.........
                Yes, it was in Australia. The rumor was that if enough people put down Jedi as the religion that the government would have to recognize it as an official religion. The census people heard about it and threatened to fine anyone who did it but so many people did that I don't think they bothered. They could have made a small fortune though!

Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

According to the official stance of the US census, their considerations of race have no connection to genes or genetics, and are entirely from a social context of "what you would be considered" from an outsider perspective. The everyman on the street has no reaction based on your genes while looking at you, I suppose that is how the government thinks they should relate to race.

Comment

American!

Jambalaia32,

Assuming that you are a citizen of the USA why not put AMERICAN? Not this-American or that-American or some-other-American. Just put AMERICAN!

Comment

I was never sent a census. Not ever. I guess I'm one of the uncounted/invisible. I pay taxes every year.

Comment

Catagorizing myself agian

Now that I finally figured out what my grandmother was, within a fairly narrow range, I might catagorize myself as:

1/4 Colonial Euro-American and 3/4 Post-Civil-War European immigrant.

I don't think those catagories are listed on the census forms though.

Comment

It has been a while, but I seem to recall the census Race query has an "Other" option with a blank space in which to make specifications. And, again as recollection, the census bean counters did report a growing trend in the use of the "Other" classification that they attributed to the growing number of "mixed-race" respondents and a general public dissatisfaction with "the-one-size-fits-all" standard racial classifications.

I elected for "Other" last time around. "Off White" was not an option.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that the last few census I did in Australia, we were asked questions like, where we were born, parents/grandparents ethnic oriigins if known and languages spoken at home.
                            I dont think we had a "race" question.
                            Except if you are an "Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander", and that is asked on nearly every government form.

Comment

Inept Vital Records Depts at state & local levels

The main reason I spent a lot of money on all this DNA testing was because of the ineptitude of state vital records departments, vsv death certificates. I get the impression that there was contempt shown toward deceased people of lower socio-economic strata, such as pioneer farmers.

Comment

Working...
                              X