Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X testing...what is it for?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • X testing...what is it for?

    Hi,
    I've emailed FTDNA asking them what their X tests are for and they say they are not helpful for genealogical purposes...so aside from sister siblingship what are they for and why are some people doing the test to try and find matches to certain regions?
    What is a haploblock that they mention on the test? Is that not like a haplogroup, because if it is then surely that might give you an idea of say where a paternal Grandmother came from?

  • #2
    Originally posted by burto
    Hi,
    I've emailed FTDNA asking them what their X tests are for and they say they are not helpful for genealogical purposes...so aside from sister siblingship what are they for and why are some people doing the test to try and find matches to certain regions?
    What is a haploblock that they mention on the test? Is that not like a haplogroup, because if it is then surely that might give you an idea of say where a paternal Grandmother came from?
    Burto ..Go to the X Markers thread where some of that is covered..also there is a database at DNA-FP where many of us have our X markers..
    They are informative for geography and family relationships.
    The haploblock is markers DS 10074,10075 and 10079 which are said to mutate very little..for example I have concluded that my Dad's haploblock is
    15,16,16...they are the markers my Sister & I have in common and we only got ONE X marker from Dad..my Mom's are then 8,15...17,18....18,19.....but do not know which of those she inherited from which parent..

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi,
      I looked at the X thread and sent the link with my email, but they still said it can't be useful for anything other than proving siblings.
      I wanted my Mum to do it to see if we could learn anything about her unknown fathers mother, but they tell me it will tell me nothing?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by burto
        Hi,
        I looked at the X thread and sent the link with my email, but they still said it can't be useful for anything other than proving siblings.
        I wanted my Mum to do it to see if we could learn anything about her unknown fathers mother, but they tell me it will tell me nothing?
        I do not know why they told you it can't be useful for anything other than proving siblings when Thomas told me this almost a year ago:

        "You are right that the X-STR DNA will tell you something about your
        paternal side, allthough it will not be a streight paternal line, rather a
        zigzag line always switching from the female to the male side and back. So
        it will not compare to the Y haplogroup and Y haplotype of your father in
        case you expected this.

        We are just beginning of building up a new XSTR database from scratch by
        typing the DNA from males and females from all over the world to get a
        backbone for comparison and to put some sense in the XSTR marker results.
        This will need at least one more year to get this database to a useful
        size."

        And I was also told this recently:
        "Over time, as world databases of X-STR results are built (since X-STR testing has only just begun) we may be able to learn more about where linked X-STR haplotypes (in other words, the results for sets of markers which are close together and probably were passed down together) tend to be found. Each woman receives one X from her mother and one from her father, so each X-STR result will include two values; one representing the copy of the marker inherited from the mother and one representing the copy of the marker inherited from the father"

        But you need to understand that you have to work at what the results might mean and compare with others..
        Maybe you should wait until databases get larger...DNA-FP is growing by a few markers every day and the more people put their data in and the more they share details about their family of origin and where they are found the more helpful it is..

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi Kathleen,
          Well I was hoping that X testing would be useful because we know nothing about my Mum's American father and we hoped that the X from him might shed some small light!
          So which test do we order?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow
            Burto ..Go to the X Markers thread where some of that is covered..also there is a database at DNA-FP where many of us have our X markers..
            They are informative for geography and family relationships.
            The haploblock is markers DS 10074,10075 and 10079 which are said to mutate very little..for example I have concluded that my Dad's haploblock is
            15,16,16...they are the markers my Sister & I have in common and we only got ONE X marker from Dad..my Mom's are then 8,15...17,18....18,19.....but do not know which of those she inherited from which parent..
            So if I did the X test or Mum's half sister did the test then we could work out which X came from their mother? Or could I have inheirited Mum's father's X?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by burto
              So if I did the X test or Mum's half sister did the test then we could work out which X came from their mother? Or could I have inheirited Mum's father's X?
              Gosh..Where is Tom?..You need to check in..

              Here goes:... I am not a real expert BUT..I think that if your Mom and her sister shared an X marker, it should mean that they inherited that marker from their shared parent..is that their Mother?
              of course the possibility exists that their father(s) had the same marker..not REALLY likely if you look at the 3 markers that they call the "Haploblock"..
              They are XS10074,XS10075 and XS10079...they will each get 2 markers...
              those 3 markers, if you have already tested them at FTDNA will only be $8.68 apiece...
              Your could at the same time test the same markers for yourself ..

              if you have NOT tested them at FTDNA it will cost more..$121 for the Xmarker panel 1..but they are in panel #2 so you would have to ask them the price..
              That is exactly why I tested my Sister here at FTDNA and did not test at DNA Tribes because of that ..if your test is here it is easier and cheaper to do..Plus I feel that my results at Tribes were confusing and even misleading..at least the Salishan match was..they now tell me that I should disregard that one match..Lucas DID tell me that my Sister shares that"Salish" profile..which is still not accurate..

              Comment


              • #8
                My brother and I both had our X STR tested.
                We differ on HPRTB, Im 11 and 12 and he is 13
                and on 10132, Im 6 and 6 and he is 12,
                So we have no idea on those two markers which of my X came from which parent. The other 14 are ok, we can work out my mums from my dads.
                But it still has told us nothing useful at the moment.

                Burto, as for finding info on your mums father, im not sure X testing will tell you much. Maybe in many years it might. As so few people have had it done, its really a needle in a haystack chance of matching with your mums fathers relatives.
                Do you know anything about him, that you could trace down family with? A name etc...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by burto
                  So if I did the X test or Mum's half sister did the test then we could work out which X came from their mother? Or could I have inheirited Mum's father's X?
                  Your Mum has two X's, she got one X from her father (the only X he had to contribute) and one X from her mother (who could only contribute one of her two X's).

                  I suppose your Mum and her half-sister have a common mother but different fathers. If you test both your Mum and her half-sister you might find a common X inherited from their common mother and by deduction the X of your mother's father (that he received from his mother). Or you might find that they inherited a different X from their common mother. Are there any uncles to test?
                  Last edited by tomcat; 18 June 2007, 08:52 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tomcat
                    Your Mum has two X's, she got one X from her father (the only X he had to contribute) and one X from her mother (who could only contribute one of her two X's).

                    I suppose your Mum and her half-sister have a common mother but different fathers. If you test both your Mum and her half-sister you might find a common X inherited from their common mother and by deduction the X of your mother's father (that he received from his mother). Or you might find that they inherited a different X from their common mother. Are there any uncles to test?
                    Yahoo it's Tom..!! It's been dull around here...

                    I think I would give it a shot but I do not know where Burto's tests were done.. if it is here..it is not a lot of $$ to do a few X tests..
                    if NOT here..that is different..

                    I think I learned a lot from testing my sister and my X tests..

                    It may help in this "Lost Colony" stuff as Dad's maybe is from his Carrow line..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow
                      Yahoo it's Tom..!! It's been dull around here...

                      I think I would give it a shot but I do not know where Burto's tests were done.. if it is here..it is not a lot of $$ to do a few X tests..
                      if NOT here..that is different..

                      I think I learned a lot from testing my sister and my X tests..

                      It may help in this "Lost Colony" stuff as Dad's maybe is from his Carrow line..
                      I'm baaaack. In fact, never left.

                      It is always good to have samples from as many family elders as possible. I would do my siblings' X's if FTDNA offered something compelling enough to make the extractions worthwhile - two X Panels and the second Autosomal Panel are not enough. Needless to say we don't need another family MtDNA FGS or 67-Marker Y assay. Volume discount, expanded X sampling, something autosmal might do.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rivergirl
                        My brother and I both had our X STR tested.
                        We differ on HPRTB, Im 11 and 12 and he is 13
                        and on 10132, Im 6 and 6 and he is 12,
                        So we have no idea on those two markers which of my X came from which parent. The other 14 are ok, we can work out my mums from my dads.
                        But it still has told us nothing useful at the moment...
                        HPRTB can't be resolved unless you have a sister to test and she produces another allele combination. But on 10132, you can deduce that your mother was 6/12 and your father was 6.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X