NW Europe
    NW Europe
    Mediterranean
    Mediterranean
    NW Europe
    Northeast Europe
    NW Europe
    Northeast Europe
    Last edited by tomcat; 9 March 2007, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat
      Interesting 'oscillation' here

NW Europe
      Mediterranean
      NW Europe
      Mediterranean
      NW Europe
      Mediterranean
      Central Europe
      NW Europe
      Eastern Europe
      NW Europe
      Central Europe
      NW Europe
      Mediterranean
      NW Europe
      Central Europe
      NW Europe
      NW Europe
      Mediterranean
      Mediterranean
      NW Europe
      Northeast Europe
      NW Europe
      Northeast Europe
      These Mediterranean scores are a mystery..Other than the supposed NA grandmothers way back, nothing but Northwest European names in the tree. Of course, there are the unknowns in the tree. I guess at least one was Italian and or Spanish... I wish I could figure out who it is. I am tempted to have my mother test. Maybe that would help me at least narrow it down to which side of the family it comes from. My parents do run back to the same line in England and Scotland many many generations back though and I haven't my dad to test. What test would you do to narrow it down?

Kelly

Comment

The pattern above indicates, to me, that you are NW European. Your ENFSI results are (in one sense) a score gradient of your match potential relative to the ENFSI populations. From the top of the list to the bottom and with quite a regular 'beat' you pull NW matches. Even when your 'match potential' is low, it still registers matches in the NW.

I don't know how Tribes derives their World scores, how they pegged you as Mediterranean, but I find your ENFSI pattern compelling.

I'd test them both, or at least get samples! Parental DNA is a precious resource. Grandparental DNA is gold!
        Last edited by tomcat; 9 March 2007, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat
          The pattern above indicates, to me, that you are NW European. Your ENFSI results are (in one sense) a score gradient of your match potential relative to the ENFSI populations. From the top of the list to the bottom and with quite a regular 'beat' you pull NW matches. Even when your 'match potential' is low, it still registers matches in the NW.

I don't know how Tribes derives their World scores, how they pegged you as Mediterranean, but I find your ENFSI pattern compelling.

I'd test them both, or at least get samples! Parental DNA is a precious resource. Grandparental DNA is gold!
          I wish I could test both, but my father passed away. No brothers and one or two uncles left that I haven't seen since I was a very little girl and they live across the country. I only have my mother left. I should probably have her tested if she would agree.

Thanks for the input!

Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by kat
            Hello list & John S., If you have Dutch ancestors ,would it be reasonable to think about ancestor(s) in the Dutch East Indies ? I have a friend whose mother appeared Sicilian ? I had difficulty placing her appearance ,but this was very unlikely. Recently ,my friend told me that an English great-great uncle had " gone out " to India & had married an Indian lady.Life is interesting ! KAT.
            In my case it is extremely unlikely that I have any ancestors from the Dutch East Indies. None of my ancestors were sailors or born outside of The Netherlands going back to 1762. Even prior to receiving the strange DNA Tribes result, I had used the VOC website to see if my any of my ancestors ever served on any ships that traveled to the East Indies. It is a great website for those who speak Dutch: http://www.voc.mindbus.nl/

The website contains information for more than 700,000 people who were employed by the VOC. My relatives were not among these people. If anyone wants to use the VOC website and needs any terms translated, send me a message.

All of the photographs I have from the 19th century forward show nothing but germanic descent; just a bunch of blonde, blue-eyed farmers and guildspeople! Sadly, not even a hint of Nepali heritage to spice up my family tree. So far, my family tree going back to 1,500 CE contains very few interesting characters except for a few women who were burned as witches by the inquisition.

John

Comment

DNA Tribes says the test identifies matches which could be ancient.

I have purchased several iterations of the test. A supposedly strong match to various South Asian populations eventually went away. I still have some matches which I believe cannot be more recent than 50,000 years. Interesting but in the realm of "ultimately we are all related" and not all that useful to me.

I give the company credit for updating its algorithm.

The test will probably always struggle with cases which are of very mixed ancestry. I suppose the only finding such researchers get is "not obviously related to any of these reference populations," if you want to call that a finding.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck
                DNA Tribes says the test identifies matches which could be ancient. ... Jim
                Could be marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnserrat
                  All of my great grandparents after 1762 are from The Netherlands. Before 1762 I have a few gggggggg- grandparents who came from Germany (Dusseldorf area) and one from the Thames Valley in England.

With DNA Tribes my top 5 results are:

Nepali (Sikkim, India) 134.6
                  John, Maybe you need to start listening to the band 'Deutsch Nepal' ;-p

Comment

Originally posted by Nagelfar
                    John, Maybe you need to start listening to the band 'Deutsch Nepal' ;-p
                    It's ironic that Deutsch Nepal is a Swedish band.

John

Comment

John
                      heh ;-P

Comment

Racist slur of the week?

John
                        When I tied up in Zierikzee harbor, said "goedemittag, mijnheir" and asked for a real Dutch local restaurant, the special was Nasi Goreng. In a bicycle shop the translation of my Dutch for "can I hire a bicycle" turned out to mean "I can whore a grindstone".
                        No wonder the Nederland DNA database is full of surprises.

Seriously though, I find that people like myself from European international seaports get faraway birds perching on their familytree.

Comment

speculative question

Does anybody have any idea whether the amount of DNA you inherit from a great grandparent, for instance, correlates with your physical appearance? In other words, if physically I closely resemble one of my great grandfathers, is that because I inherited more DNA from him than from my other great grandparents?

Judy

Comment

Ancestral resemblances

Originally posted by jaranta
                            Does anybody have any idea whether the amount of DNA you inherit from a great grandparent, for instance, correlates with your physical appearance? In other words, if physically I closely resemble one of my great grandfathers, is that because I inherited more DNA from him than from my other great grandparents?

Judy
                            More *autosomal* DNA of the particular items you recognise as transmitted, yes indeed.

The present floating idea is that the autosomal mix that determines your body and brain structure, and some patterns of function, is a random choice from those alleles on offer from the sperm and ovum initial mix, which is itself an already random mix.
                            Mendel (Google that!) showed that some alleles (he never used the term; experimented well before DNA) tend to be dominant and keep reappearing in offspring, while others he called recessive because they tend to reappear less often.
                            You can see from that the possibility of recent (or even far throwback resemblances) to ancestors. It is a fair guess that the greater the genetic distance the less the autosomal persistence would be, but because we are all genomically related, sometimes surprise combinations may reappear from the remote past especially in inbred communities.
                            GGrandparents are not that remote!

Comment

I suppose that can be shown in cases where you may not know a parent, like my Mum. She must look like her unknown father because she doesn't bare any resemblance to her mother or half siblings!
                              I in turn look more like her than my father, so her fathers' genes must have been quite dominant. I look nothing like my known GGrandparents, so it's a shame we don't know what her fathers Grandparents looked like cus I'd love to know which one we look like!
                              Last edited by burto; 18 March 2007, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X