Haplogroup I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup I

My results suggest Haplogroup I, I'm told. Also, no exact matchs at either 12 or 25. All 1-step mutations matches were Haplogroup I; 35 of 38 2-step mutations were Haplogroup I, one was G, one was I1A1 and one was I1B; 44 of 49 3-step mutations were Haplogroup I, one was G, 3 were I1B and 1 was J2; 24 of 35 4-step mutations were Haplogroup I, 4 were G, 2 were I1A1, 3 were I1B, 1 was J2 and 1 was Q. I'm struggling to understand this ... is there any reason to pay extra for the test to "confirm" Haplogroup I?

I've seen other results for which were more diverse in Haplogroup. Is that usual?

woliver,
    My results suggested that I was haplogroup R1a and I paid the extra $100 for the SNP test to find out I was actually R1b. With this possibility I would think it best to spend the extra money for the test to be certain.
    My test showed no exact matches, four one step mutations (all R1a), twelve two step mutations (also all R1a), thirty six three step mutations (31 R1a and five R1b), and a bunch at the four step mutation point with over half of them being R1a which I am not.
    What accounts for this? Well, I called FTDNA and spoke with both Max and then Bennett who explained this all to me. Basically they have what he called a haplogroup calculator that allows them to take a "best guess" (which is usually right) at which haplogroup you belong to. However, they or you for that matter can not be sure as to the correct haplogroup you belong to without taking the SNP test for the suggested haplogroup.
    As to why I had so many matches at R1a and I'm R1b was also explained to me as what is referred to as convergence. I am definitely R1b as the SNP test showed me positive for P25 which is the identifying marker for R1b but my changes down through time have shifted to look more like R1a than what one would expect of an R1b person. So as you can see the SNP test is the only way to be certain. Hope this helps.
    Don Potter

Comment

Working...
    X