Tripe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tripe

I Do Not Under Stand My Readings,I Got My Test Back From Family Treen DNA.They Are,Haplogroup H5
    My Hvr-1 16304C
    Hvr-2 146C,195C,263G,309.1C,315.1C,456T
    I Have Been Told I Have Indian In Me On Both Sides Of My Family,And I Iam Trying To Find Which One And How Much,
    Can Anyone Help,
    Thank You In Advance,
    Please Email Me And Let Me Know.
    [email protected]

I don't know much about haplogroup H5 but a quick perusal of this article suggests that it is primarily found in Europe but also at a small frequency in the Near East:
    http://www.genome.org/cgi/content/full/15/1/19

By Indian do you mean Native American or South Asian Indian?

Comment

The mtDNA test you took is testing the mitochondrial DNA passed down to you through the maternal line. This is your mother, maternal grandmother, maternal grandmother's mother, etc.

If you had Native American ancestry in this maternal line, your haplogroup would be A, B, C, D or X. Your haplogroup of H5 is about as European as it gets. All the H haplogroups together are the biggest mtDNA haplogroups for people of European descent, probably 40%

So this means that your maternal grandmother had no Native American ancestry, unless her father was of Native American ancestry. Also, it's possible that the lines represented by your paternal grandfather, paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather may have Native American ancestry.

To track down the truth of the story of Native American ancestry in your family, you'd have to get relatives in these lines to test.

To see if your maternal grandmother's father was Native American - test one of her brothers or any of their sons (uncles on your mother's side) or the sons of the sons (male cousins on your mother's side). If any of these tested and had a Q3 yDNA haplogroup, that would prove Native American ancestry.

In the case of your paternal grandfather's and maternal grandfather's maternal lines, to test mtDNA you would have to recruit any sisters of them or any children of those sisters.

In the case of your paternal grandmother's line, to test mtDNA you would have to recruit your father and any of his brothers. Also, any of his sisters would work, plus any children of his sisters.

As you can see, you might spend a lot of money if you don't hit paydirt with the next relative you have tested!

Mike Maddi

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi
        If you had Native American ancestry in this maternal line, your haplogroup would be A, B, C, D or X. Your haplogroup of H5 is about as European as it gets. All the H haplogroups together are the biggest mtDNA haplogroups for people of European descent, probably 40%

So this means that your maternal grandmother had no Native American ancestry, unless her father was of Native American ancestry.
        Actually, it means something less than that.

Your haplogroup covers only one LINE of your ancestry, so your maternal grandmother could have had a considerable amount of Native American ancestry. Her father, her father's mother, her father's father, her mother's father, her mother's mother's father, etc. could all have been Native American without changing her mtDNA haplogroup.

The H5 haplogroup only applies you your mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's line (you get the picture).

Comment

Working...
        X