Using DNA and Traditional Paper Genealogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using DNA and Traditional Paper Genealogy

I used my mtDNA to help me find one of my maternal family lines. However, the British burned many records in the War of 1812, and I seem to find people changing names which I have heard about, but I never thought of it to be a problem until I tried to find people past 1880. I thought this was interesting though. In the pension records of Bee Co, Texas, it states that JW joined the CSA on 5 May 1862; however his regiment was not formed until 21 February 1863 . . .

Madison's Reg't Texas Cavalry B Film Number M227 roll 1
    John D was a Sergeant
    JW was a Private
    Joined 5 May 1862 in Grimes Co., served in Co. B, Madison's Regt, Green's
    Brigade (Cav)

Madison's Regiment, Texas Cavalry (Phillips') (3rd Regiment, Arizona Brigade)
    The THIRD TEXAS CAVALRY REGIMENT, ARIZONA BRIGADE, was organized on February 21, 1863, pursuant to Special Order #81, District of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. It was formed by consolidating the Third Cavalry Battalion, Arizona Brigade, with several independent companies to raise the battalion to regimental strength. The Third Regiment was commanded by Colonel Joseph Phillips. Other field officers were Lt. Colonel George T. Madison (who had been the commanding officer of the original Third Cavalry Battalion) and Major Alonzo Ridley (who later became the regiment’s Lt. Colonel).19

The Third Regiment was assigned for most of the war to Brigadier General James P. Major’s Brigade of General Thomas Green’s Texas Cavalry Division, and served primarily in Louisiana. The Third Regiment participated in many battles, including those at Donaldsonville, Louisiana (June 28, 1863); Cox’s Plantation (July 12-13, 1863); Stirling’s Plantation (September 29, 1863); Bayou Bourbeau (November 3, 1863); and the many battles and skirmishes of the Red River campaign in Louisiana, including most importantly Wilson’s Farm (April 7, 1864), Sabine Crossroads, or Mansfield (April 8, 1863), and Pleasant Hill, (April 9, 1863).

How Do History Event Influence Genealogy?

I was wondering how historical events influence genealogy? For example, how did troop movement in the American Civil War influence recruitment? How did this influence family life?

February 9, 1861: The Confederate States of America is formed with Jefferson Davis as president.
    April 12, 1861: At 4:30 AM Confederates under General Pierre Beauregard open fire with 50 cannons upon Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina. The Civil War begins.
    April 24, 1862: 17 Union ships under the command of Flag Officer David Farragut move up the Mississippi River then take New Orleans, the South's greatest seaport by April 25. Later in the war, sailing through a Rebel mine field Farragut utters the famous phrase "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

Comment

Working...
    X