X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Yeomans
    replied
    Originally posted by tomcat
    Hadn't heard that allegation. Hadn't heard of any options other than CSFS, ENFSI, Omnipop and Tribes. Whaddaya got?
    I don't know. I just remember reading it somewhere on the Family Tree DNA web site something was going to help customers understand their autosomal results. I still probably wouldn't get it, at least stabbing in the dark is not as bad as I originally thought; eventually I'll stab something; maybe myself too.

Just wished I had time for Collage, and monies to fund my adventures to a make believe land of Vikings, Celtic Warriors, Cyclops, Minotaurs, and show my connection to maybe Achilles himself since I'm not related to any known notorious, famous or ruling people like Ui' Niell, Ghengis Khan, Alexander the Great, Hannibal Barca, etc. How depressing, my ancestors were just every day normal nobodies; like several millions of others. Maybe I am not alone.

Someday my autosomal DNA will be understood and I will prove that I am related to a Basque Viking; just wait and see.

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Hadn't heard that allegation. Hadn't heard of any options other than CSFS, ENFSI, Omnipop and Tribes. Whaddaya got?

Leave a comment:

• Arch Yeomans
    replied
    Originally posted by Elistariel
    I'd like to do an autosomal test to see my "percentages." Basically, I want to know what all I am. I have looked at both the Tribes and AncestrybyDNA. I'd like to do both at one point, but I cannot afford both at the time. I'd like to know if one is more accurate than the other. Which test's results are easiest to interpret?
    Are there any tests you would recommend as opposed to these two?
    Like the other posters have mentioned, Family Tree DNA is offering advanced tests panels 1 and 2 (of course 2 is better than 1; get both). Allegedly there will be some program provided to help customers understand the analysis of their results; I just hope it's not OmniPop...

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    FTDNA provides no analysis of the autosomal results but they can be profiled via Omnipop. There are several threads on this forum on this topic that you might read.

Autosomal Panel 1 covers 15 STR's, 13 of which comprise the CODIS standard employed by US forensics and are also the basis for Tribes analysis.

Leave a comment:

• Elistariel
    replied
    I wasn't aware ftDNA had an autosomal test. I usually just log in from the main page. Thanks for notifying me. I may just do Autosomal Panel 1.

Is there a sample of the results for that test available anywhere?

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Other test - www.ethnoancestry.com has been promising a percentage BGA for more than a year. Other option - you can order Autosomal Panel 1 as an Advanced Test off your FTDNA Personal Page, download Omnipop 2. for free and run your own profile for about half the cost of DNATribes. Or submit to SMGF and wait for free results of their autosomal test.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Honeychuck
    replied
    Good question. The key to the answer is the word "percentages." Many of us think that concept is bogus, especially since full siblings could get different results. Also, percentage from a region is not specific enough information for me. I already knew what regions my ancestors came from.

DNA Tribes does not use percentages. It uses its own match score, which is supposed to indicate strength of match. DNA Tribes can be harder to interpret, and some of us have gotten very implausible matches, but I believe it is much more informative.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Elistariel
    started a topic DNA Tribes or AncestrybyDNA

DNA Tribes or AncestrybyDNA

I'd like to do an autosomal test to see my "percentages." Basically, I want to know what all I am. I have looked at both the Tribes and AncestrybyDNA. I'd like to do both at one point, but I cannot afford both at the time. I'd like to know if one is more accurate than the other. Which test's results are easiest to interpret?
    Are there any tests you would recommend as opposed to these two?
Working...
X