Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignorance?

Dear Folks,

I must admit utter inability to correlate my mtDNA results (pasted immediately below) with the HVR1 Reference Sequence (starting at 16001) that is offered as reference.

HVR1 Haplogroup K
    HVR1 Mutations 16168T
    16224C
    16311C
    16519C

Here is what I get (along with my proffered questions) from this first series of results you have provided me, with respect to all my female ancestors on my mother's side for an unknown number of generations:

- I am in haplogroup K
    - I have an "exact" low resolution match with Neil Kuchinsky
    - I do not have a high-resolution match with anyone in your database. Questions: does this include Neil? If so, how can we be related on a low-resolution match but not on a high-resolution match?
    - I have a low-resolution match with someone in your database who lives in, or who has maternal ancestors from, Romania and who are Ashkenazi. I know "Ashkenazi" both as a last name and as a group (family?) of Jews from Europe, distinct from Sephardim. How am I to interpret this?
    - I have a low-resolution match with someone else who has given no public information about him/herself.
    - What is the number of generations and confidence levels, etc. I can infer from these matches?
    - Where do I go from here? I have sent E-mail to Neil Kuchinsky as a first step.

Thank you,

/Ron Pavellas

Ron,

The high resolution test on the mtDNA means that an extended region of the mtDNA is analyzed. And if in this process, your prior match does not stay as a match, That's exactly what it means: it's not a match.
    Now, about the meaning of matches in mtDNA tests: since the mtDNA mutates at a much slower rate than the Y-DNA, matches have little significance for genealogy purposes, since the most common recent ancestor most probably lived at least 1,000 years ago.
    mtDNA matches are meaningful when there's a suspicion that two individuals share the same female ancestor (on a straight female line) and they want to verify it. Other than that, the mtDNA has mainly an anthropological value.
    Max Blankfeld
    Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
    A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Max,

Thank you very much for the response and the enlightenment.

Ron

Originally posted by max
      Ron,

The high resolution test on the mtDNA means that an extended region of the mtDNA is analyzed. And if in this process, your prior match does not stay as a match, That's exactly what it means: it's not a match.
      Now, about the meaning of matches in mtDNA tests: since the mtDNA mutates at a much slower rate than the Y-DNA, matches have little significance for genealogy purposes, since the most common recent ancestor most probably lived at least 1,000 years ago.
      mtDNA matches are meaningful when there's a suspicion that two individuals share the same female ancestor (on a straight female line) and they want to verify it. Other than that, the mtDNA has mainly an anthropological value.

Comment

Working...
      X