Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMH /12 marker test

Hello,

I am intrested in the 12 marker Cohain test.

My question is how do we know that the CMH really is form Arron, even given a 3,300 year [I] estimation[I] of mutation, Arron was decended from Amram, who was from Qhat, who was from Levi.

So it is entirely possibly that 1-2 generations before is where the CMH started. Many Sephardic Levites also carry the CMH. If we assume that they are actualy Levites, then can CMH be considered a Levite trait. ( Discounting the R1a1 Ashkenazic Levites).

What do you think Max? Anyone else?

Hi Izzy,

Look at this article. It will explain the methodology.
    http://www.ftdna.com/nature97385.html
    Since the Y-DNA goes down from father to son almost unchanged, with mutations happening very very slowly, males that were direct descendants of Aron should have a very similar Y-DNA. Therefore by testing a large group of people that had an oral tradition of being cohanim, their Y-DNA should be the same or very close.
    Max Blankfeld
    Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
    A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Max,

That is not the first time I have read the Hammer study. I want to beleive that CMH indicates a decent from Arron, but there are questions as to the 3,300 year estimation can also be applied to say Amram, father of both Moses/Moshe and Arron/Aharon.

So is it possible that the CMH is really a levitical gene?

The more beleivable group of levites (not R1a1 types) have a good percentage of CMH....

Even more iteresting, (many?) Arabs, Armenians, and Italians have CMH. Does that mean that they too are decended of Levi/Arron? (Rome took many Jewish slaves, Arabs forced many jews to convert at certain periods in History, and Armenians are Close to the genetic starting point of Abraham, as well as a location where many exiles went...So it is possible.)

A lot of info is available on the Khazaria site, but I still have not found out what percentage of SEPHARDIC LEVITES have CMH (As opposed to grouping Ashkenazic with Sephardic and reporting on the R1a1 -khazar?- types.)

Maybe the "big guns" in Family Tree have an answer to this?

Thanking You all in advance for any help.

IZZY

Comment

Cohanim

The CMH was based upon a 6 marker test 6 years ago. Jews who are J are either J* or J2...the Cohanim are in J*, and these groups is known to have spread around the Mediterranean so that explains some of the J2 J* spread around the sea.

In Yemen the Levites are identical to the Cohanim, whereas this is not true in Europe. The data is not available yet for the Sephardim, but we will report when the results from that study are back.

Brgds/Max
        Max Blankfeld
        Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
        A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Thanx for the Info Max.

I hope to order at least the 12 marker kit around Nov. 1.

Very intresting about the Yeminite Community, many (not all) had very good "Yichuth" books (lineage scrolls) some of these were supposedly burnt by a harsh ruler not long ago, others still exist . Some of the "burnt scroll families" go in front of a jewish court and "renew" their claim to being a true Cohain every generation. I personaly know of one family like that.

Me, I'm supposed to be a Levi/Lewi.

I'm supposedly "Ashkenaz", but teitel is supposed to be from the Spannish Datil? ( Date/Tammar) So I likely have Sephardic roots.

Shana Toba- a Gut jahr.

Comment

Alternate Hypotheses for Levite Ancestry

Hello,

I am an Ashkenazi Levite and have the R1a1 haplotype. Given what we know about the CMH, it seems unlikely that R1a1 Levites are patrilineally descended from Aaron. Izzy suggests that the R1a1 lineage may stem from the Khazar kingdom of the Middle Ages. This seems a plausible hypothesis, but others are also possible. The R1a1 lineage appears to be from the Kurgan culture of 5000 to 3000 BCE, who may have been the "Sea Peoples" of ca. 1200 BCE. It also seems plausible, then, that the R1a1 Levite line dates to long before the Khazar period, and perhaps back to the founding of the Levites?

There is obviously an easy test of these alternate hypotheses-- at least to prove one false-- is there a shared "Levite Modal Haplotype" (of R1a1 Levites), and if so, can we estimate the time of the most recent common ancestor?

Comment

Working...
            X