X testing questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X testing questions....

I have read that X testing is the way to get information from the female line for maternal grandparents except mothers father's line. (is this correct?) I really want to know about my mothers parents and grandparents from Lithuania. Would it have would have been better to have had my mother tested as opposed to my brother who tested our MtDNA? (I asked FTDNA if there was any benefit to having my mothers MtDNA over my brothers and they said no)

Another question: Can you test someone for X only or do you need to have the Y DNA or MtDNA test done as well? (obviously I am trying to figure out how to get my mother's X tested (if it would be better) without spending money on an entire MtDNA)

If I were to get tested I could get X tests results for fathers maternal and obviously my mothers paternal and maternal. Would this give the same info as an X test for my mother? If I then got X markers from my brothers DNA for my fathers line that would that make the grandparent line complete. Correct?

My big concern is that my grandmother (fathers side) was adopted. I have one aunt alive who I could test (if she agreed) to get info. However, if I can get information about my granmothers linegage from my own X test would that be as good as my aunts DNA? Do I want to know my grandmothers Haplogroup etc that I would get from a MtDNA? I don't think that X testing gives haplogroups. Any other obvious benefits or minus?

TIA I appreciate the help.

[QUOTE=Cats]I have read that X testing is the way to get information from the female line for maternal grandparents except mothers father's line. (is this correct?) I really want to know about my mothers parents and grandparents from Lithuania. Would it have would have been better to have had my mother tested as opposed to my brother who tested our MtDNA? (I asked FTDNA if there was any benefit to having my mothers MtDNA over my brothers and they said no) [QUOTE=Cats]

Yes, and you can, potentially, get some information on your maternal grandfather's maternal line, if, as a female, you test both of your X's. Your brother who got his only X from your mother would only give you access to your mother's grandparental and great-grandparental lines - except for that great-grandfather on your grandfather's side.

You and your brother have the same Mt-DNA as your mother. You and your brother share the one X that came from your mother (you got your other X from your father).

It would be good to test your brother's X so you can sort-out from which parent which X came. The X-tests are only available to returning FTDNA customers at this time.

[QUOTE=Cats]Another question: Can you test someone for X only or do you need to have the Y DNA or MtDNA test done as well? (obviously I am trying to figure out how to get my mother's X tested (if it would be better) without spending money on an entire MtDNA) [QUOTE=Cats]

Testing Y or Mt-DNA within your maternal lines via aunts, uncles or cousins could be more productive at this time as X-testing is sill quite new.

[QUOTE=Cats]If I were to get tested I could get X tests results for fathers maternal and obviously my mothers paternal and maternal. Would this give the same info as an X test for my mother? If I then got X markers from my brothers DNA for my fathers line that would that make the grandparent line complete. Correct? [QUOTE=Cats]

It would be better to X-test your mother. X recombines so it is best to test as far back in the line as possible (same as for autosomal tests).

Originally posted by Cats
    My big concern is that my grandmother (fathers side) was adopted. I have one aunt alive who I could test (if she agreed) to get info. However, if I can get information about my granmothers linegage from my own X test would that be as good as my aunts DNA? Do I want to know my grandmothers Haplogroup etc that I would get from a MtDNA? I don't think that X testing gives haplogroups. Any other obvious benefits or minus?

TIA I appreciate the help.
    You could certainly get a 'reading' on your paternal grandmother from a test of your paternal aunt. Again, better to test back up lines, and Y and Mt-DNA knowledge is better developed than X, at this time.

There is another X-Testing thread on this forum that you might consult.

Comment

Thank you for your answer. I did read the other X thread and obviously it left me confused. Still trying to figure out:
      1) Would it have been better to test my mother for MtDNA than my brother. What are the differences (if any) for X testing if he is tested or she is tested as far as maternal lines are concerned.
      2) if my DNA would give as good of an X result as my mothers for her grandparents. We know the haplogroup of my grandmother from my brothers test

1)Would my DNA show the same X results for her parents (my grandparents) as mine would. Basically what are the difference of my DNA over hers for X results. I do know that my DNA would not show her mother's haplogroup but then again none of our DNA will show her bio grandfather's DNA.

Comment

Cats
        Well we of the other X thread mostly have not gotten results back yet so we are all confused also..
        Except for Tomcat the "guru" here
        Your Mother & brother have the same mtDNA so that is fine..
        Your Mother might give a better X result..

If your biggest concern is your father's Mother than X testing of either yourself OR your brother is the best way to find that out..

In my case my Dad's father is an unknown to us and since he was also adopted( by his grandmother) his records were unavailable, or so I believe until last year when I got them(Dad is deceased)
        The X STR test will not show me anything about Dad's father so that is good since I expect eventually to be able to compare my autosomal against those results..
        But DO come over and post at the other X thread..
        We are NOT more knowledgeable than you and you can post the very same things you have here..
        It can help us all

Comment

Cats,

Both you and your brother share the same mtDNA as your mother, so any of the 3 of you could have been tested for mtDNA. Remember that mtDNA only represents the direct female line -- your mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's ... mother (etc).

X chromosome testing is not as straight-forward as mtDNA. I wish someone would draw up a clear diagram to help people visualize it.

The basics are that a woman gets two X chromosomes: one from her mother and one from her father. A man gets only one X chromosome: from his mother.

So you personally have two X chromosomes. Your brother has one X chromosome from your mother. Your mother has two X chromosomes, one from her father and one from her mother. Which one did she pass down to you and your brother?

Well that's where the difficulty in using X chromosome testing for genealogy seems to be -- you and your brother got a random mixture of your mother's two X chromosomes. Without testing multiple people, there's apparently no clear way to know which parts of the X came from your mother's mother and which came from your mother's father.

So apparently it's necessary to test and compare multiple family members when doing X chromosome testing, if you need/want to know which part came from which person. But you have to understand who gets the X from whom so that you can choose the right people.

That's everything I know about X chromosome testing so far. I haven't done any X testing myself yet, just reading the boards and trying to decide if there will be any benefit to doing it for my own family.
          Last edited by efgen; 5 January 2007, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow
            If your biggest concern is your father's Mother than X testing of either yourself OR your brother is the best way to find that out..
            No, her brother will not have an X chromosome from their father's side. A man gets one X chromosome and it always comes from his mother.

Comment

Oops..you are so right..
              I was thinking that she would not get her paternal Grandmom's information from her Mom and was thinking it is her or brother..
              Not so..Maybe we females will start to be envied for getting two X chromsomes in this test
              No need for Ychromsomes

Comment

1) Would it have been better to test my mother for MtDNA than my brother. What are the differences (if any) for X testing if he is tested or she is tested as far as maternal lines are concerned.
                2) if my DNA would give as good of an X result as my mothers for her grandparents. We know the haplogroup of my grandmother from my brothers test

1)Would my DNA show the same X results for her parents (my grandparents) as mine would. Basically what are the difference of my DNA over hers for X results. I do know that my DNA would not show her mother's haplogroup but then again none of our DNA will show her bio grandfather's DNA.
                There is most likely NO DIFFERENCE between your Mt-DNA and that of your brother and that of your mother from whom both you and your brother got your Mt-DNA.. But because X recombines (Mt-DNA does not recombine) your mother's two X's are DIFFERENT from your two X's or the single X your brother received from your mother - your brother's single X and one of your X's is a recombination of the two X's your mother got from her parents. So, as you are interested in the genetic past, to get the clearest picture of that past you should test as far back into the maternal line as possible - your mother and, if there is one living, her brother, your uncle.
                Last edited by tomcat; 5 January 2007, 04:27 PM.

Comment

My big concern is that my grandmother (fathers side) was adopted. I have one aunt alive ............
                  Cats,
                  I believe the focus of your inquiry is your Paternal grandmother.
                  You and your brother recieved your mtDNA from your mother, so his and your mtDNA is of no value re., your paternal grandmother.
                  Your brother's single x came from your mother, so your brother's x can not help directly, re., your paternal grandmother.
                  One of your x's came from your father and is, therefore, a mixture of your paternal grandmother's two x's. An x test for, both you and your brother would determine which of yours came from your paternal grandmother (it is the one that doesn't match your brothers, assuming you are female). While the x contains a lot of information, it may be difficult for that info to shed much light on the adoption issue.
                  One of your living paternal aunt's x's came from your paternal grandmother, the same as you and could serve to identify yours, the same as your brother's x would. However, your paternal aunt's mtDNA would match your paternal Grandmother. Thus, knowing your paternal grandmother's mtDNA markers and Haplotype might be more useful, in the near term.
                  I think I would be inclined to try to test the mtDNA of the paternal aunt.
                  Hope this helps.
                  Last edited by fmoakes; 5 January 2007, 11:39 PM.

Comment

One of your living paternal aunt's x's came from your paternal grandmother, the same as you and could serve to identify yours, the same as your brother's x would. However, your paternal aunt's mtDNA would match your paternal Grandmother. Thus, knowing your paternal grandmother's mtDNA markers and Haplotype might be more useful, in the near term.
                    Thank you it helped a lot. From what I gather my aunt would be able to determine from an X test her mother's 2 parents and her father's maternal line. That would be very useful information along with the Haplogroup and markers.

I am also interested in my mothers paternal line as there are no males left on that line except for the ones I am searching for in Lithuania. I have found people in lithuania that share the common last name. From manifests we determined that our family members met up in Amercia but we don't know how we are related. I have also come across people (females) that share the same last name as my grandfather's mother who are also on lIthuania. Written documenatation is not easy to get in that country. I am looking for a way to use DNA to connect us and I thought that the X-str tests could help us. From what you wrote for the X-str it would be better to test my mother (even though we have her MtDNA markers and haplogroup from my brother).

It is all so confusing,yet exciting too. There is the easy part of the Y DNA and MtDNA. I have read so much on the subject but the more I read about X testing the less I understand. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

.............. From what I gather my aunt would be able to determine from an X test her mother's 2 parents and her father's maternal line. ............
                      The sources of your paternal Aunt's X's are as you state. Just keep in mind it will take the test of a second person to tell which X is from which source. An X test for your brother would identify the X from your paternal grandmother, the mother of your paternal Aunt. This should allow for identification of your Aunt's X from her paternal grandparents via her father, your paternal grandfather. This surely does become complex/confusing. I recommend you sketch your family tree and draw in the flow of these X's to insure you fully understand it. That seemed to work for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X