Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FTDNA and PA Policy.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FTDNA and PA Policy.

    I have encountered a difficult issue with regard to an unresponsive PA and FTDNA's policy. It has been brought to my attention by Ms. Wark that if someone would like to co admin a project it has to be approved by the PA. That seems ok on the surface however, when I brought my issues to her about an unresponsive PA and an unmotivated one I was told that he met the companies standards and I could not co admin because he does not want to have one.

    This to me sounds a little counterproductive to what this type of research is supposed to produce. I expected to get my results and compare them with the others in my group,compare lineages, and have the opportunity to ask the important questions. It took my PA three years! to set up a webpage for our group- at my insisting he finally did it. On the first day I noticed an error on allele value reporting (not his fault-but he should have caught the discrepancy) and it still has not been corrected although I pointed it out to him and contacted the person myself. He also needs to set up the page so that we can understand whom is who on the chart-he lists kit#'s and not Y Search. He has not responded to my emails in over a month, but he responded to FTDNA's today because I queried. I am the newest member in the past year and there has been no effort to recruit potential members.

    I have offered to co admin but apparently he does not want anyone else to help him (he is not a y chrome member of this family either,but I believe that it is on his mother's side). FTDNA tells me no go. So, how, after I have spent much money, time, and effort, supposed to proceed? I am writing a letter to Dr. Greenspan to express my displeasure and frankly speaking, do not like being locked out of my own family.

  • #2
    If you are willing to put in the time and effort into being a co-PA then why would he deny you? I don't understand why FTDNA wouldn't support you on this; all they would have to do is have a conversation with you via-email or on the forum to find out if you are suitable. I hope you don't get the raw deal.... his yDNA doesn't even match the project? I'm lucky to have Gary Felix as my PA. He has been on the ball with any questions I've had and keeps an open door policy; not to mention I think he has put in and continues to put in a great measure of work into the the Mexico Project. Best of luck and keep us posted.

    Comment


    • #3
      Cheers.

      Originally posted by iberiandave
      If you are willing to put in the time and effort into being a co-PA then why would he deny you? I don't understand why FTDNA wouldn't support you on this; all they would have to do is have a conversation with you via-email or on the forum to find out if you are suitable. I hope you don't get the raw deal.... his yDNA doesn't even match the project? I'm lucky to have Gary Felix as my PA. He has been on the ball with any questions I've had and keeps an open door policy; not to mention I think he has put in and continues to put in a great measure of work into the the Mexico Project. Best of luck and keep us posted.
      Cheers for the good energy. I am of the belief that this PA began and did all of the recruiting himself for this project a few years ago, and for this I am appreciative. To date we have a total of 14 people in the project- it is a start, but not enough. I was offering to help, I come cheap (! lol!), and am VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE with regard to this family's history, and live 1/2 hour away from its' initial settlement in 1640, where the immigrant ancestor is buried. He is not of this surname and lives about 22 hours away! I am here to help, but he doesn't want it, and FTDNA will not support it. And to think, I have a degree in Marketing, ugh.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SaintManx
        Cheers for the good energy. I am of the belief that this PA began and did all of the recruiting himself for this project a few years ago, and for this I am appreciative. To date we have a total of 14 people in the project- it is a start, but not enough. I was offering to help, I come cheap (! lol!), and am VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE with regard to this family's history, and live 1/2 hour away from its' initial settlement in 1640, where the immigrant ancestor is buried. He is not of this surname and lives about 22 hours away! I am here to help, but he doesn't want it, and FTDNA will not support it. And to think, I have a degree in Marketing, ugh.
        If all the members are with FTDNA, then the project can easily have a website at FTDNA, even if its only to view the results. (I think that comes with every project) So there should be no excuse for mistakes in the values, as FTDNA transfer the results onto the results page.
        Doesnt the PA know about this.

        You can always do a recruitment campaign yourself. Emailing potential members, or posting on a surname message board etc... with information that the project is running, and any news.

        Comment


        • #5
          Project Group Administrator

          Your Project Group Administrator has provided a clear Description of the project as well as the surname and variants of the surname test in the group. He has also provided a web page with the Project Background, Project Goals, Project Results, and DNA Test Results (Alleles) for Project Members with their Kit numbers and most distant ancestors.
          An administrator is not required to list any individual’s names nor their email addresses. If a member in a group has a match or near match with another member an email address for contacting the other party is displayed on their personal page.
          Entering data (Alleles, lineage, most distant ancestors, and notes) into the Y-search is up to the individual.
          As for as the money one pays to FTDNA, that was for DNA testing only. It doesn’t include any special assistance from a group project administrator. A project administrator’s job is voluntary and they don’t receive any monetary benefits from their work. In fact many administrators spend the own money and many hours researching data and setting up a website for their group projects.
          To reiterate, FTDNA only does DNA testing and provides for someone to setup as a project administrator. They limit themselves as to how any project should be run and that is a good thing. Administrators can provide just basic information to there project group or they can setup a very detailed website of there own.
          FYI, a project administrator has the ability to screen anyone who wishes to join his/her project. In this case, an individual must first email the project administrator before they can join his/her project. The reason behind this is an administrator may require the new member to send them their lineage, the right to publish their name and email address etc. (You would be surprised at how many people only test for DNA and won’t provide any information.) Most administrator don’t do this, they will allow anyone being of the project surname to join without being screened.
          As for the individual in a project you have the right to email you project administrator with you questions.
          You also have the ability to join another group that may be in some way related to you surname or start your own project by using a variant of your surname.
          If you don’t get answers to you question about you DNA results from you administrator then go to the FTDNA forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people that are more than willing to assist you.

          Ragnvald
          Viking / Noris

          Comment


          • #6
            i have a related issue I think. Someone started a project with my surname. Except not only did he do nothing with the project and site, but he doesn't have that surname himself. Nor is it from his mother's side, or any part of his family. Apparently, he claims he started it because one didn't exist and this would give people a discount on ordering tests. Frustrating.
            Last edited by penguin; 4 January 2007, 03:30 PM. Reason: typo

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by penguin
              i have a related issue I think. Someone started a project with my surname. Except not only did he do nothing with the project and site, but he doesn't have that surname himself. Nor is it from his mother's side, or any part of his family. Apparently, he claims he started it because one didn't exist and this would give people a discount on ordering tests. Frustrating.
              Have you ask the administrator if you may assist him by becoming a co-administraor of your surname project?
              If you are willing to setup all the information on a website let him know.

              Ragnvald

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Rex
                Have you ask the administrator if you may assist him by becoming a co-administraor of your surname project?
                If you are willing to setup all the information on a website let him know.

                Ragnvald
                I disagree in principle with that solution. If a project administrator is not doing the work, he or she should defer to someone who would and step down completely.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rex
                  Your Project Group Administrator has provided a clear Description of the project as well as the surname and variants of the surname test in the group. He has also provided a web page with the Project Background, Project Goals, Project Results, and DNA Test Results (Alleles) for Project Members with their Kit numbers and most distant ancestors.
                  An administrator is not required to list any individual’s names nor their email addresses. If a member in a group has a match or near match with another member an email address for contacting the other party is displayed on their personal page.
                  Entering data (Alleles, lineage, most distant ancestors, and notes) into the Y-search is up to the individual.
                  As for as the money one pays to FTDNA, that was for DNA testing only. It doesn’t include any special assistance from a group project administrator. A project administrator’s job is voluntary and they don’t receive any monetary benefits from their work. In fact many administrators spend the own money and many hours researching data and setting up a website for their group projects.
                  To reiterate, FTDNA only does DNA testing and provides for someone to setup as a project administrator. They limit themselves as to how any project should be run and that is a good thing. Administrators can provide just basic information to there project group or they can setup a very detailed website of there own.
                  FYI, a project administrator has the ability to screen anyone who wishes to join his/her project. In this case, an individual must first email the project administrator before they can join his/her project. The reason behind this is an administrator may require the new member to send them their lineage, the right to publish their name and email address etc. (You would be surprised at how many people only test for DNA and won’t provide any information.) Most administrator don’t do this, they will allow anyone being of the project surname to join without being screened.
                  As for the individual in a project you have the right to email you project administrator with you questions.
                  You also have the ability to join another group that may be in some way related to you surname or start your own project by using a variant of your surname.
                  If you don’t get answers to you question about you DNA results from you administrator then go to the FTDNA forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people that are more than willing to assist you.

                  Ragnvald
                  Viking / Noris
                  And this is why I volunteered to help- to take the load off. Like I stated before, there were some erroneous allele value reportings that I caught myself, and more could and should be done with identification-like providing y search id's. A PA should be responsive, afterall, they signed up for it. As for FTDNA, I ONLY SIGNED UP WITH THEM BECAUSE THEY HAD A GROUP PROJECT FOR THE SURNAME, that was a part of the package at the point of sale. You are right about people not wanting to provide info-but it is not the immigrant ancestor that's important, it is the lineage leading to the most distant ancestor that is, of which our page does not provide. Hey, I know that it is hard work and my hat is off for the successful and dedicated ones. We are all very busy in our own lives- and vikings are sooo cool, I'm jealous.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X