HV1/HV2 won't work for M*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HV1/HV2 won't work for M*

I've been trying to figure out how to interpret my mtDNA full sequence results for the past two days.

One thing is clear: if you're a European or west Asian with an "M*" result, and you're not lucky enough to be an exact HV1 match with me personally, then getting just an HV1/HV2 combo test won't cut it. You absolutely need the full sequence results to have any hope of figuring out where you fit in the human family tree.

It seems like M* confusion like mine is fairly rare, so, the best solution might be for FTDNA simply to throw in a lot of extra free or discounted SNP testing for the occasional European customers who turn out to be M* without actually matching me.

Have you taken a look at the M* project page? It's all over the map. Literally. These people aren't even one of the "5 Daughters of Eve."

Comment

Originally posted by allbell
      I've been trying to figure out how to interpret my mtDNA full sequence results for the past two days.

One thing is clear: if you're a European or west Asian with an "M*" result, and you're not lucky enough to be an exact HV1 match with me personally, then getting just an HV1/HV2 combo test won't cut it. You absolutely need the full sequence results to have any hope of figuring out where you fit in the human family tree.

It seems like M* confusion like mine is fairly rare, so, the best solution might be for FTDNA simply to throw in a lot of extra free or discounted SNP testing for the occasional European customers who turn out to be M* without actually matching me.
      allbell,

What did you mean by M* confusion? Is it that you don't have any exact matches or is it that M* doesn't match your ancestry?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M
        Have you taken a look at the M* project page? It's all over the map. Literally. These people aren't even one of the "5 Daughters of Eve."
        I just for the first time figured out how to join a project.

Anyhow, now that I have the full sequence results, I understand what the problem is: most people just have HV1 results, not even HV2 results, and the HV1 results are completely misleading. People who match my rare HV1 pattern exactly probably all match me in the coding region, too, but people who match just the two more common of my HV1 SNPs probably split from my mom-line 60,000 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by haplogroupc
          allbell,

What did you mean by M* confusion? Is it that you don't have any exact matches or is it that M* doesn't match your ancestry?
          Exact matches: I have 17 exact matches for my otherwise rare HV1 pattern (differences from the CRS at 16111, 16223, 16235, 16362, 16519), and the 4 other HV1 matches who've paid for HV2 testing match my HV2 pattern exactly. So, I assume they're fairly close cousins (in other words, we're all descended from some woman who traveled West on the Silk Road trade routes and married a Jewish guy in the middle ages).

Matching ancestry: The people who share my specific type are all descended from Ashkenazic Jews who lived along the "Silk Road" trade route along the Dnieper. So, it's very possible that we're descended from an East Asian or South Asian who came west along trade or invasion routes. But I think it's also possible that we could be descended from a mitobranch mom who lived in Central Asia or even the Near East, and the sequences of the handful of Indian and East Asian M*'s who have the 2361 SNP otherwise have nothing in common with me genetically.

One minor problem is that the amateur mtDNA gurus on the Web are really dogmatic about what a 2361 SNP means.

A bigger problem is that, because most people just have HV1 data, not even HV2 data, there are tons of people in the FTDNA database who are classified as A's, C's, D's or M's who could be my mitocousins. But, unless FTDNA is going around checking people's 10400 nucleotides for free without telling people, it's possible some of those A's, C's and D's could really be mislabled members of my M haplogroup. If there were just 1,000 M superhaplogroup sequences in public databases, that probably would make figuring out where my mitobranch mom lived a lot easier.

Comment

Andrew M: Where is the M* project page? Happy New Year.

Comment

Originally posted by iberiandave
              It's a small project that can be entered here:

http://www.familytreedna.com/(pwhprp3qcfbgcn45agxydgzx)/public/M%20mtDNA%20Haplogroup/index.aspx

Note: There is a background section and some results, but there are no goals or news in this project.

Comment

http://www.familytreedna.com/(0h5ae545vt0ma545avqqdcq5)/public/M%20mtDNA%20Haplogroup/index.aspx">

Comment

Yehh... not a whole lot happening there. Just some results and the admin is not published. Like you stated there are no goals or any welcome which is kinda odd.

Comment

Blood type/ Food revelation

I've got B+ blood Type-do you think there is any validation to the B BloodType Diet ? I did find that many of the foods on the avoid list do make feel less then optimal and I don't tend to eat much of them. See it at: www.drlam.com/blood_type_diet/print/blood_b.htm.

For A blood see: www.drlam.com/blood_type_diet/print/blood_a.htm

For O blood see: www.drlam.com/blood_type_diet/print/blood_o.htm

Always use common sense - if you don't feel yuk after eating certain foods then don't cut them out-but most foods that the Dr. says to avoid does make me feel sick. Must be in my B blood

Comment

Working...
                    X