Death certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death certificates

I have found the existance of a death certificate for a family member in Kentucky in 1911. I am planning to order it. They request the first name, last name, father's first name and mother's maiden name. Well... that's why I'm ordering it!! I don't HAVE the father and mother's names. Has anyone had experience with this. Also, I know the full name was Benjamin but on the record of the document he is listed as "Ben." Which name do I request? Thanks!

Originally posted by birdy06
    I have found the existance of a death certificate for a family member in Kentucky in 1911. I am planning to order it. They request the first name, last name, father's first name and mother's maiden name. Well... that's why I'm ordering it!! I don't HAVE the father and mother's names. Has anyone had experience with this. Also, I know the full name was Benjamin but on the record of the document he is listed as "Ben." Which name do I request? Thanks!

you might ask why all that info?

i am doing all Denning ,Dever,Cogan, Most Piscopos, Mazzola,

and i am also doing the genealogy of three old towns /new cities in massachusetts Chelsea Revere Winthrop. thats the base alot of other places too as they come up

I dont know how many dennings you have met.I have 3000+ from Chelsea Ma.. now an on line freind asked the clerk in a snail mail letter for a James Denning born between 1878 -1883.The clerk replied which one we have seven.. whats the odds ? acually pretty good since most first borns in chelsea ma were james. that meant 7 couples named their first borns or later in the 5 yr period james. how many other kids did they have? lol alot.

actually thats common since alot of these places were started by 5-7 familes and they named them all alike.so clerks know what they need.

here is a tip if you can give adresses and occupations you know with maiden names. even sisters and brothers might help if there are multiple names.

good luck

Comment

hi birdy-

i've collected a zillion death certificates. You just put down as much information as you have- you don't need all the info they ask for to get the certificate. They just want to be sure they have the right one.

Just remember to indicate the reason for the request, which you should say is for family recordkeeping or something similar to that (if you say for geneaology, it can add months until you get it), indicate the person's relation to you (you don't have to say 7th cousin twice removed, or g g g uncle- cousin or uncle will do), and date the request.
      For first name, they will figure it out if its either benjamin or ben, but you can always say benjamin/ben or benjamin (ben).

Comment

Thanks Jim. I got the record from a search on ancestry.com. It's from the Kentucky Death Index 1911-2000. They site the volume and the exact certificate number, wouldn't that be enough? I am simply requesting a document they have already verified. The ancestory.com request to order (through Vital check) has no fields to type in this information. Maybe I should just write to the county of Kentucky where this document was located?

One other detail, he had two wives. I am assuming I should name the one living with him when he died and not the former wife.

Comment

Thanks Penguin (another bird brain!!)

I guess from what you're saying, it's best NOT to order from Vita Check. I don't have options to list any additional information.

It's a great, great grand father, so I put down "grandfather?" Thanks for the tip about saying family record keeping! I would have said genealogy...

Comment

ordering from vital check is fine. and since you have the certificate # already, it's a breeze to locate; don't need any additonal info. (you'll get the name of the informant, which may well be his current wife)
            Last edited by penguin; 29 December 2006, 01:32 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Well, I'd use Vital check if it wouldn't keep looping me back. I don't have father's full name and mother's maiden name so it won't let me process the request. I gives me a "required fields" error.

Comment

Tried Vital Check's site

I decided to abort the ancestory.com site and tried to request it directly at Vital Check's site. Now the problem seems to be the city name. I know the county and I know the name of the cities he lived in but the drop down menu for cities in that county doesn't have anything that resembles the cities listed for him in the 1800's early 1900's.

Comment

To heck with the internet

I've printed out a copy of application for the death cert. from Kentucky. I'll do it by snail mail. At least this way I can do it MY way! It's about $20 cheaper too!

Comment

Ain't got names,records ,I got genes.

Originally posted by birdy06
                    This is so true.When I first started my genealogy research I could get no where with out all the names and dates of people dead from like 100 years ago,and the census says that isn't long dead enough and might invade their privacy. So Ft-Dna was a real life- saver for me,cause I don't care to know my ancient folks names I just wanna know what ethnicity and culture they are,broadly(and records don't really tell you that anyway).And I felt like a lost sheep after looking for records that may have gotten burned up in the fire of 1920 or were never accurately maintained in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Jambalaia32
                      And I felt like a lost sheep after looking for records that may have gotten burned up in the fire of 1920 or were never accurately maintained in the first place.
                      Accuracy? I've been trying to read the handwriting on the census and the one that I am working with now looks like the age was "9" or "1"! From the other census reports I have an "accurate" birthdate anywhere from 1835 to 1845. I agree it is not very satisfactory and we are waiting for the DNA tests too. But on the other hand, this is the first time in my life I've wanted to understand the civil war or even cared about what Kentucky was like in the late 1800's. I was born in Ohio and never realized it was the state south of me! The person of interest I am seeking has 'come alive' to me. I want to know more about him and his life.

Comment

Working...
                      X