• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jambalaia32
    replied
    A few points off

Originally posted by josh w.
    Some of my mtDNA page matches (HVR1) are listed as mismatches on Mitosearch. The supposed matches are listed as one mutation off on Mitosearch. In each case I have one more mutation than my mtDNA matches. In some cases we completely match on HVR2. Is this a common problem?
    I thought matches varied on little numbers,or else we'd all be clones.But I think I saw my matches we always one point off,but matched me in every way,mostly.Hey when you have matches you're part of a viable ethnic group-I've got 600 close matches so far HVR2,and 5,000 near matches HVR1.People think they don't have to follow rules anymore because they are related,but people should still pay bills,return library books,pursue education,have individual property,and not try to snoop and know all your business,and get married and be prosecuted if they do eveil things. (though I haven't met any of these matches-I kinda know how many other humans tend to think-though the few of mine I wrote seemed highly civilized).

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    My mistake----there were only 2 of 3 mismatches not 3 of 4. Could simply be the result of error as I've just displayed. Thanks again Elise
    Last edited by josh w.; 22 December 2006, 07:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    See Cats post today on Mitosearch forum

Leave a comment:

• efgen
    replied
    What's your mitosearch ID? And which mutation do they have different from you? If they all entered the info 'automatically' from FTDNA, then there shouldn't be a mistake, but if they entered it by hand, I guess it's possible they all made the same mistake?

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    Then is there a software problem with Mitosearch listings. It is improbable that three different entries all made the same mistake. (There were four names common to both lists, only one was indicated as a match on Mitosearch)
    Last edited by josh w.; 22 December 2006, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• efgen
    replied
    Mitosearch allows for more flexibility and shows both exact and close matches. FTDNA shows only exact matches.

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    Elise, thanks. I double checked my entry. There is still a puzzle because the majority of my mtDNA matches that are listed on Mitosearch appear to have made the same exact mistake. I am not clear as to why these matches would even be listed on my Mitosearch page if we did not have identical mutations.

Leave a comment:

• efgen
    replied
    Originally posted by josh w.
    Some of my mtDNA page matches (HVR1) are listed as mismatches on Mitosearch. The supposed matches are listed as one mutation off on Mitosearch. In each case I have one more mutation than my mtDNA matches. In some cases we completely match on HVR2. Is this a common problem?
    Josh,

Everyone listed on your mtDNA Matches page at FTDNA should be EXACT matches, on either HVR1 only (low-res) or HVR1+2 (high-res). So if you're sure the people in mitosearch are the same as those on your mtDNA Matches page, then it sounds like there are errors in either their mitosearch entries or in your own mitosearch entry.

Elise

Leave a comment:

• GregKiroKH
    replied
    I only have two HVR-2 matches. The information has been valuable for me. However, I have no HVR-1 match. Maybe, I should include my sisters and such to make me boost the numbers.

Leave a comment:

• Pleroma
    replied
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'd say that the near matches in MtDNA go a long way back in time. An exact match at HVR1 and HVR2 would be more likely to bring you into a genealogy timeframe. This would especially be true if you have an unlikely mutation for your particular haplogroup.

It doesn't seem to unusual to have exact matches at HVR2 and not at HVR1.

The good news is that if you are a rarity, when a match does come up, it will be more likely to be of help in determining family history than it would be for someone with run-of-the-mill markers and dozens of matches.

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    started a topic Are mtDNA matches really matches?

Are mtDNA matches really matches?

Working...
X