Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Site

Hmmm...

Was surfing the Internet trying to figure out the genetic makeup of the common human skull types. I wonder how much truth there is in the info provided or how accurate the skull racial analyses are. I think the Nazi's perhaps tried doing something like this to identify a "pure Aryan race", or perhaps establish what was in their minds and belief system a pure race. Maybe they were on to something in terms of the analysis of typing the various skulls found worldwide, it's unfortunate they invested into all this technology and research for nefarious reasons. Perhaps causing people to shun away from the subject matter for the fear of being labeled a racist.
    Humanoids are stupid that way I suppose.

Here's the interesting site I found:

http://www.sitesled.com/members/raci.../subraces.html

Originally posted by Arch Yeomans
    Hmmm...

Was surfing the Internet trying to figure out the genetic makeup of the common human skull types. I wonder how much truth there is in the info provided or how accurate the skull racial analyses are. I think the Nazi's perhaps tried doing something like this to identify a "pure Aryan race", or perhaps establish what was in their minds and belief system a pure race. Maybe they were on to something in terms of the analysis of typing the various skulls found worldwide, it's unfortunate they invested into all this technology and research for nefarious reasons. Perhaps causing people to shun away from the subject matter for the fear of being labeled a racist.

Yes this is an interesting site I have seen it before. I find physical anthropology to be quite fascinating myself. I am in not a racist in any way I just find the variation among humans very interesting.

Carlton S. Coon wrote a book called The Races of Europe and in it are some excellent photographs of so called physical ''racial types''. I believe that Coon was wrong about many of his theories on the origins of these so called ''races'' but it is still interesting none the less.

Y-DNA: J2a*

Comment

Well, considering that legitmate science threw out the idea of racial classifications in humans early on in the 20th century, I'm more than a little skeptical---the same way I'd be if my doctor suggested blood letting or leach therapy.

Studies in the modern field of Population Genetics,(the study of allene frequency) is where you would find 21st Century information.

Comment

Originally posted by Pleroma
        Well, considering that legitmate science threw out the idea of racial classifications in humans early on in the 20th century, I'm more than a little skeptical---the same way I'd be if my doctor suggested blood letting or leach therapy.

Studies in the modern field of Population Genetics,(the study of allene frequency) is where you would find 21st Century information.

I know that science threw out the idea of racial classifications during the 20th century but certain groups of humans certainly do look alike because of a shared genetic inheritance and a similar enviroment.

Yes I do agree that the most useful and interesting information is definately in the field of Population Genetics.

Comment

the same way I'd be if my doctor suggested blood letting or leach therapy.
          In cases of extreme tissue damage leaches are use today, in modern medicine, to help reduce swelling.

And of course race isn't politically correct any more but we keep asking for DNA test to tell us our race. In his new book "Deep Ancestry inside the Genographic Project" Spencer Wells repeatedly tells us there is no such thing as race and then talks about using DNA to determine if someone is Native American, for example.

Comment

"Blood letting" is still used in cases of hemocromatosis. Most generally by periodic blood draws......

Comment

In reality there is really only one race and that is the human race Homo Sapiens nowadays. The different haplogroups and phenotypes that are now among us are just variations that have come about through isolation in different parts of the world. People in different parts of the world needed to change in order to survive and reproduce effectively in each enviroment. These changes were completely natural, the people changing did not have a choice it just happened over time. I think the variation among Homo Sapiens today is truely amazing and cool.

Comment

leeches...

Like Mr. Barrett said in his post, leeches are used today for certain injuries. I don't think there's anything wrong with identifying differences as races, just when we use it for nefarious reasons just as religion, culture, politics are always in a way deviated from their innocuous meanings or intentions by extremist or those who want to manipulate people. Identifying people as a part of race shouldn't be considered "old school", or even racist. The ones who make that misinterpretation to manipulate are the ones I worry about.

21st Century is actually moving way ahead by looking back at once what was regarded as the "devil's work", or as "evil" and taking a non-biased approach to remedies. I just hope we get smarter and realize how much the wool has been pulled over our eyes by all the "holy rollers" and naysayers over the past 1,693 years since 313 AD. Maybe we'll find answers that have long been suppressed by the church and by those who used fear to coerce.

Comment

variations need identification...

Originally posted by J Man
                  Yes this is an interesting site I have seen it before. I find physical anthropology to be quite fascinating myself. I am in not a racist in any way I just find the variation among humans very interesting.

Carlton S. Coon wrote a book called The Races of Europe and in it are some excellent photographs of so called physical ''racial types''. I believe that Coon was wrong about many of his theories on the origins of these so called ''races'' but it is still interesting none the less.

Exactly. Variations need to be explained and identified, otherwise it would be virtually pointless to research DNA for any reason. E.g., if we didn't label, or identify differences in genetics and the resultant physical features, and as well conditions, then what benefit would it be of? Inevitably there would be groupings, e.g., haplogroups, etc. to help identify a commonality within that specific group and I see no problem with identifying someone as having the physical features they possess belonging to an specific group. Rather, it's how we interpret it as being how we feel about it, than what things are, or what person really is in terms of their ethnicity and being P.C. about it all is what has made us so stupid about dealing with these "issues".

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett
                    In cases of extreme tissue damage leaches are use today, in modern medicine, to help reduce swelling.

And of course race isn't politically correct any more but we keep asking for DNA test to tell us our race. In his new book "Deep Ancestry inside the Genographic Project" Spencer Wells repeatedly tells us there is no such thing as race and then talks about using DNA to determine if someone is Native American, for example.

It has nothing to do with "political correctness." Race is very much a socially accepted concept existing to various degrees in most modern day social systems in spite of the fact that it has no scientific reality. It is a social construct which is taught and reinforced within our culture. It is not a "right vs. left" thing.

Your critism of Spencer Wells is a confusion of the difference between race theory and Population Genetics. There is a huge difference but to understand it you have to be capable of thinking outside of your social conditioning.

As for the support for leech therapy, there's likely a group for that somewhere on the internet. I would personally pass on that one but to each his own.

Comment

leech

It has nothing to do with "political correctness." Race is very much a socially accepted concept existing to various degrees in most modern day social systems in spite of the fact that it has no scientific reality. It is a social construct which is taught and reinforced within our culture. It is not a "right vs. left" thing.

Your critism of Spencer Wells is a confusion of the difference between race theory and Population Genetics. There is a huge difference but to understand it you have to be capable of thinking outside of your social conditioning.

As for the support for leech therapy, there's likely a group for that somewhere on the internet. I would personally pass on that one but to each his own.
                      Leeches have proven to be the most effective "tool" for helping to control bleeding. Though it may seem disgusting, they are quite useful little critters.

Matter fact I got two leeches hanging on my leg right now, my kids, who I use for slave labor around the house and yard.

Comment

No one is pure! It's not possible.. The nazis sure had that wrong. Although I am intrigued by the possibility of me having a SSAfr. admixture. I always thought I would've been more East Asian.

Comment

Exactly. Variations need to be explained and identified, otherwise it would be virtually pointless to research DNA for any reason. E.g., if we didn't label, or identify differences in genetics and the resultant physical features, and as well conditions, then what benefit would it be of? Inevitably there would be groupings, e.g., haplogroups, etc. to help identify a commonality within that specific group and I see no problem with identifying someone as having the physical features they possess belonging to an specific group. Rather, it's how we interpret it as being how we feel about it, than what things are, or what person really is in terms of their ethnicity and being P.C. about it all is what has made us so stupid about dealing with these "issues".

I agree with you 100% on this Arch.

Comment

Modern Medicine

Not just leeches - but maggots too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/25/he...rssnyt&emc=rss

Okay - maybe I should have warned y'all not to read this before you had lunch.

Comment

Pure Ugly Or Purepretty

Hmmm...

I TOOK PURE TO MEAN HAVING A CERTAIN BREED OR HYBRID-BUT ANY EVEN TRIBE IS PURE.THERE ARE PURE BLACKS,REAL INDIANS-I SAY REAL INSTEAD OF PURE,MOST ASIANS ARE PURE 'CAUSE THEY KEEP TO THEMSELVES AND DON'T OFTEN SEEK TO INTERMARRY. SOME OF THE NAZI'S ARYANS HAD BIG ASS NOSES -EXPLAIN THAT? AIN'T MY IDEA OF PRETTY LOOKS LIKE A JOKE SOMEONE PLAYED ON SOME OF THOSE ARYANS.

Comment

Working...
                              X