No Match to 12/12 Marker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Match to 12/12 Marker

When completed, a 12/12 Marker matches no member of your surname web, how can this be interpreted?

1. Does this mean the individual is not related to any of the surname group? If so, does this discount the possibility that this individual is not biologically related to any of the surname group?

2. How is interpretation applied to the testee if known members of the surname web are from the same direct line and these members are fully matched? Does this imply that the testee's paternal family member is not the same as the biological paternity individual?

3. How is sufficient evidence within the interpretation of a DNA test obtained to either prove or disprove the evidence?

4. In the 12/12 marker in question, historical relations to known religious groups outside the known testee's beliefs are indicated. Does this mean that there are specific links biologically to an ancestor's beliefs may have been hidden or changed?

5. How does one interpret the DYS numbers once the 12/12 DNA test is completed and reviewed? Can the DYS numbers by themselves interpret whether there is a relation between the surname family and, if so, does it add validity that a testee is or isn't related to this family line?

How different are you? 11/12? 10/12? In our surname project we have a few people who are off the two prototype profiles by one marker. I would assume they are probably related, but descended from someone who had a mutation. This is especially true if other data makes the relationship likely. We also have one who is off by 5/12 (or a 7/12 match). Close biological relationship is highly unlikely, despite the same surname. We will probably do some 25 marker tests in the future, which may identify some mutations in the people who now match 12/12. WE have not been keeping religious data so I cannot offer any information on that issue.

Comment

Let's see if I clearly understand the basics of this idea:

(1) 12/12 testing represents population migration 10K years ago.

(2) 25/25 testing represents closer population migration.

(3) The Ethnic Definition only applies to those who have the same mutations and live in other parts of the world.

(4) The Ethnic Definition does not apply that a person is any of the ethnicity the countries imply, i.e. Chinese Muslim of Central China so to speak.

(5) Please excuse the mention of religion in my thread. The application, of course, has no play on biological or cultural factors in DNA. DNA, therefore, must be "without religion" in its clearest definition. The Dennis Web Site does not endorse this highly controversial factor. Thank you for this correction.

Please help me understand this very complex application.

Comment

Report received from Site Administrator

WHITKEEN,

Just read report on 12/12 Marker Test. It appears that I have 10/12, 9/12, and 7/12 markers. Perhaps impatience and ignorance caught me in my novice attempts to understand.

Still would appreciate any information you could share in this education.

Thanks,

Jerry Dennis

Comment

I am not an expert on genetics, but as I understand it, more than 2 mutations out of 12 means that if there is a genetic relationship, it is probably pretty far back. If there is other evidence of a close familial tie, perhaps there was an adoption or extra-marital event.YOu might go for the 25 marker test. 2 or 3 off out of 25 would indicate a closer relationship than 2 or 3 out of 12. In the case of 5 off, I would look for some other explanation. In my family, one possible explanation is that our name is a place name, and more than one family took it as a surname. Max could probably give you a better explanation.
          Regarding religion, DNA doesn't reflect religion, but some closed religious groups also restrict themselves to each other for marriage, so there would probably be more similarity along religious lines: ie Mennonites, Jews, for example, so it isn't necessarily irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
          X