X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cacio
    replied
    Michele:

if you are interested in the article, send me a private message or an email (google me as cagetti and cacio)

U6a is a subgroup of U6. U6a is the main subgroup. I think U6b is a smaller subgroup typical of the Canary Islands.

cacio

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Cacio,

Unfortunately, I am unable to read that paper that you directed me to.

I find that I am confused. What is the difference between haplogroups U6 and U6a?

Regards,
    Michele

Leave a comment:

• cacio
    replied
    michele:

if you are into reading scientific papers, the following paper (joining the pillars of hercules) talks a bit about U6 on p 316, and has a nice table summarizing the percentages of U6 in various countries:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...9.2003.00039.x

(I hope you're able to read it. otherwise let me know). The paper more or less says what you've found. It also stresses the possible moorish influence. However, presumably, there were contacts between Iberia and NW Africa even before that, so the presence of U6 in Spain may be more ancient.

You have a few matches on mitosearch, including a couple in Canada. The connection there seems French.

cacio

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic HAPLOGROUP U6a

HAPLOGROUP U6a

My mtDNA results are in. I am of the U6a haplogroup with mutations showing as 16172C, 16219G and 16278T as per the HVRI results.

Based on the little that I have been able to uncover, Haplogroup U6 is among the oldest of the U haplogroups with an origin approximately 50,000 years ago. In keeping, it is a rare, but ancient haplogroup. Individuals bearing this lineage out of the Near East may have encountered Neanderthals as they moved around what is now the southern Mediterranean basin.

In modern populations, it is found at highest frequency in Berber-speaking populations of North Africa and the Canary Islands. Its presence in Portugal and Spain is the result of recent admixture most likely related to the Moorish occupation of Iberia.

Can anyone tell me anything more? Are there any other U6a individuals out there?

Regards,
    Michele
    Newfoundland
Working...
X