Gedcom File Creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedcom File Creation

It really is a shame that more people do not enter their family histories in the ysearch pedigree database. I have a website, that will allow people to create a gedcom file at no cost. I have not personally used the software myself, but it does look like a viable tool for people who do not have familytree software to create gedcom files. I would encourage people to use this software to create gedcom files for ysearch. The website is below with an explanation of gedcom files.

http://www.myrelatives.net/dna-gedcom/

Thank you so much, I've been looking for a way to create a GEDCOM format file in a way that is freeware for use with FTDNA!

Comment

Originally posted by Nagelfar
      Thank you so much, I've been looking for a way to create a GEDCOM format file in a way that is freeware for use with FTDNA!
      Let me know how the software works for you. I am wondering about its ease of use for folks.

Comment

Kerry and all,

The GEDCOM Generator is my little creation. If you follow the instructions and enter the data carefully and correctly the first time, it should be very easy to use.

However, there aren't any bells and whistles yet. There's no error checking, no option to edit a Gedcom once it's created and no option for the user to delete the Gedcom from my server.

I had hoped to start adding these features a few months ago, but have been sidetracked with other things. I still hope to eventually add them, I just can't say when it'll happen. But, it's free!

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen
          Kerry and all,

The GEDCOM Generator is my little creation. If you follow the instructions and enter the data carefully and correctly the first time, it should be very easy to use.

However, there aren't any bells and whistles yet. There's no error checking, no option to edit a Gedcom once it's created and no option for the user to delete the Gedcom from my server.

I had hoped to start adding these features a few months ago, but have been sidetracked with other things. I still hope to eventually add them, I just can't say when it'll happen. But, it's free!

Elise

I've also noticed that it only does the matrilineal & patrilineal ancestry. Even though there isnt much more reason for it to be more indepth with mt & Y DNA associations, it'd be nice to have a whole family background when relating to autosomnal DNA origins. I guess that would make the scripting on an html page a lot more complex though. Thanks for making this in any event!

Comment

Originally posted by Nagelfar
            I've also noticed that it only does the matrilineal & patrilineal ancestry. Even though there isnt much more reason for it to be more indepth with mt & Y DNA associations, it'd be nice to have a whole family background when relating to autosomnal DNA origins. I guess that would make the scripting on an html page a lot more complex though. Thanks for making this in any event!
            Yes, the purpose of the tool is just to be able to create a very quick GEDCOM for matrilineal and patrilineal ancestry. I don't have any intention of expanding it to more lines, otherwise it would have to become a full-fledged family tree program. My programming skills are not that advanced , plus there are many other family tree programs out there already. I've linked to a couple of them on the right side of the GEDCOM Generator webpage, but of course you can also search Google to find more. There's also a thread about family tree software linked from the main page of this forum, so you can get other suggestions from there as well.
            Last edited by efgen; 7 February 2007, 10:34 AM.

Comment

GEDCOMs

Greetings,
              I was interested to see the thread related to your post about GEDCOMs. I recently made a post about this topic in about mtDNA-Mitosearch, as follows:

I was tested awhile ago through NGS and then moved to FTDNA. Just joined this forum. I tested for HVR1 & HVR2 and my mtDNA says I am Haplogroup V with the following markers: 298C, 72C, 263G, 309.1C, 315.1C.

I also joined Mitosearch, but am wondering why so few people post a GEDCOM there or on FTDNA. The addition of a GEDCOM is so helpful and makes a tremendous difference in being able to have some clue as to identifying more recent potential family genealogy through geographic location & names. Is it that so few people have created a GEDCOM to share? Or is there something else I am missing?

My known maternal line so far goes back to Polly Hurd (married a Keith) born in 1770; aural family history says she came from Scotland, but I have not found any written documentation to date. She has a daughter named Eunice Keith, born in 1791 in Newport, NH. I would really like to find the link to wherever they moved from...to New Hampshire.

Originally posted by KerryODair
              It really is a shame that more people do not enter their family histories in the ysearch pedigree database. I have a website, that will allow people to create a gedcom file at no cost. I have not personally used the software myself, but it does look like a viable tool for people who do not have familytree software to create gedcom files. I would encourage people to use this software to create gedcom files for ysearch. The website is below with an explanation of gedcom files.

http://www.myrelatives.net/dna-gedcom/

Comment

Originally posted by efgen
                Kerry and all,

Elise
                Thank you Elise for your efforts. It is a great tool for folks that do not have the capability to create gedcom files. Paper work geneology is just as important a tool as our dna studies. It would truly be nice if everyone filled out their own personal pedigrees to the best of their knowledge. It certainly would help in our search of our ancestors.

Comment

I have a question; FTDNA allows you to upload two GEDCOMs, one for your patrilineal and one for your matrilineal ancestry. Is there any information on the recieving end in the FTDNA display of it that would be confusing (if an mt match is found, and they view your GEDCOM for example) if you upload one with both Y & mt twice to each alloted place? or would it be pertinent to create two separate GEDCOMs and upload them separately?

Comment

Working...
                  X