Insights on match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insights on match?

The paper trail strongly suggests that another person with my surname is a fourth cousin. The circumstantial evidence is very strong, but we have yet to find the document to prove it.

So I persuaded him to undertake a Y-DNA test, but for reasons of his own he did not test with FTDNA. He used a lab in Vancouver. I've had 25 markers tested so far with FTDNA and am waiting on the last 12, which are overdue.

He just emailed his results to me. His lab tested for 22 markers, but only 20 of these are tested by FTDNA's in their first 37. So as of now we have 17 markers that both companies have tested, with 3 more to compare when I receive my 26 to 37 from FTDNA.

Out of these first 17 markers, we match at 15. We don't match at 458 ar 455. (We are both 15 / 15 at 385a and 385b which is non-modal for I1a.)

My closest match on YSearch is 22/25. His 2-off results, although only at 17 markers, seems to place him at least as close as the next candidate. (He is not yet on YSearch)

Thoughts? Same surname; compelling circumstantial evidence; but not the 17/17 match I would have expected/hoped for.

I'd really appreciate the insights of the experts in this forum before I jump to my own conclusions.

-Rob

Rob,

If you look at Ysearch they suggest adjustments that need to be made to some markers when different companies are used. Is the Vancouver company included in the list?

If not I suggest you contact both companies and request the adjustments, if any, that would need to be made before comparing results.

A genetic distance of two isn't bad for fourth cousins. Father and son, or two brothers can be off by one.

Comment

Jim,

Thank you! Your response steered me in a very useful direction. I checked those adjustments and there is indeed a mention of an adjustment to DYS455 noted on Ysearch as you suggested... it seems some labs may need to add a value of 1 at 455.

His results are close enough to mine to suggest he is a good candidate for HG I1a, and Gordon Hamilton suggests that, for I1a, anything but an 8 at DYS 455 is rare. His was reported as 7. But the suggested adjustment would make it an 8, and a match to mine. So I check FTDNA's I1a project page and it appears that 100% of the project's participants are 8 at 455.

All very intriguing, but I am still trying to find out what lab he used in order to verify the validity making such an adjustment.

Thanks again.

Rob

Comment

Jim,

It turns out your instincts were correct. My relative tested with Genebase out of Vancouver. I contacted them today and there is indeed an adjustment/conversion to be made when comparing their DYS 455 value to FTDNA's. His 7 became an 8...far more typical of I1a and also a match to mine.

It also turns out that Genebase uses different nomenclature than FTDNA for another DYS marker so I was able to add yet another match. At this point we are up to a 17 out of 18 match. I am much more comfortable concluding he is a 4th cousin as we suspected with these results. I suppose I should move this post to the 'DNA Success Stories' thread now.

Thanks for that very useful suggestion!

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rbsvnski
          Jim,

It turns out your instincts were correct. My relative tested with Genebase out of Vancouver. I contacted them today and there is indeed an adjustment/conversion to be made when comparing their DYS 455 value to FTDNA's. His 7 became an 8...far more typical of I1a and also a match to mine.

It also turns out that Genebase uses different nomenclature than FTDNA for another DYS marker so I was able to add yet another match. At this point we are up to a 17 out of 18 match. I am much more comfortable concluding he is a 4th cousin as we suspected with these results. I suppose I should move this post to the 'DNA Success Stories' thread now.

Thanks for that very useful suggestion!

Rob
          Hello Rob,

If you don't mind, I would appreciate if you could share the marker conversion values that you were given by Genebase. Seems like that information is not readily available anywhere. Thanks.

Victor

Comment

Originally posted by Victor
            Hello Rob,

If you don't mind, I would appreciate if you could share the marker conversion values that you were given by Genebase. Seems like that information is not readily available anywhere. Thanks.

Victor
            You need to add a value of +1 at DYS 455 to compare Genebase results to FTDNA's. I asked about others but never got a reply.

According to the conversion page on YSearch, older tests at Relative Genetics and DNA Heritage require the same plus-one conversion at 454 and 455.

http://www.ysearch.org/conversion_page.asp#OA

-Rob

Comment

Working...
            X