Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to DNA Needs Some Advice Please

Hi Guys

I'm new to DNA and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

My Grandfather's Father was born in South Africa or so we are led to believe. There is a strong rumour that we have black blood in the family.

My Grandfather's Father was white and we are unsure of his routes.

After watching BBC 1's Who do you think you are with Colin Jackson it gave me an idea to have my Grandfather tested. This would dispel all the family myths once and for all.

Now the advice I seek is what kit do I opt for?

I think the ethnic kit would be best as it gives a percentage of what a person is made up of.

What do you guys think and where is the best place to obtain a kit from?

Thankyou

Paul

I'm not a fan of DNA Print, and I've never taken it, because I don't think there's any such thing as such-and-such a percentage of this and that.

Also, let's say your results turn out 10% Sub-Saharan African. Your next question will be, is that statistically valid? And you would want to know where in Africa the alleged match is.

But with DNA Tribes, you would get (or not) a match score to Sub-Saharan Africa, plus scores for any matches to specific populations. You're interested in South Africa. There must be at least six South African populations in the DNA Tribes reference database: http://www.dnatribes.com/pops-africa.html

Jim
    no affiliation with either of these companies

Comment

Why not start with a combined test from FamilyTreeDNA that would determine your GF's ancestral Y and Mt DNA haplogroups. Then, if you wish, you could get one or both of the Autosomal Panels from the same sample. Panel One is that employed by DNATribes. After you have FTDNA run the panel you just send the numbers to DNAT. Or you can research the markers on your own and arrive at your own estimate of percentages of ancestry.

Comment

Thanks for the replies Jim & Tomcat.

I'm a newbie to this and I think I understand what you mean. The more important question is how much will it cost?

Thanks guys

Paul

Ps If I use the same sample for other tests will it cost more!

Comment

Hi Guys

The only thing I'm worried about is that if he emigrated to South Africa and he is in fact European through and through would this not work with the DNA tribes Site.

I'm not really sure what DNA sample to go for on the Family Tree DNA is it this one Y-DNA37+mtDNAPlus?

If we take this test and find out he is half South African for example can you then send these results to DNA tribes for further analysis.

Thanks

Paul

Comment

Paul,

Remember that the Y-DNA test is for the paternal line only (father's father's father's ---) of the person being tested and the mtDNA test is for the maternal line only (mother's mother's mother's ----) of the person being tested. This would be only two out of 8 of the great grandparents of the person being tested.

If you are going to test through FTDNA try to find a surname or regional project you can join. This will allow you to order kits at a discount.

Comment

Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply.

I would make sense to order them both as its the Mother we think was probably of coloured descent.

So if I got my Grandfather to take both tests then basically it will only go as far as his Grandfather etc.

Still trying to understand sorry if I'm making hard work of this!

Paul

Comment

Hi Jim,

You likely know the truth already but I know that having something to verify it is very important.

Likely a Y-DNA test would simply lead you to a European ancestor and you would not find what you are looking for.

I used www.ancestrybydna.com with good results, and found the price of their ethnicity test to be one of the lowest offered. (If you purchase from them, be sure that you order the correct test.)

Be sure to test the oldest person in that particular family branch, and if there is more than one to choose from, pick the person with the most African features, as they might be more likely to show this in their DNA, (more likely but not necessarily.)

All the best in your search.

Comment

Paul, it seems very unlikely that you can bear an African Y chromosome. So, the tests FT sells are not of much relevance for you.

Comment

Originally posted by smudger28
                    Hi Guys

The only thing I'm worried about is that if he emigrated to South Africa and he is in fact European through and through would this not work with the DNA tribes Site.

I'm not really sure what DNA sample to go for on the Family Tree DNA is it this one Y-DNA37+mtDNAPlus?

If we take this test and find out he is half South African for example can you then send these results to DNA tribes for further analysis.

Thanks

Paul
                    The combined Y-Mt test would give you a baseline and allow you to plug into the biggest databases and surname or geographic projects. The autosomal tests are entirely different - you can use the same DNA sample but other lab work is called-for and they carry an additional cost.

The combined test would tell you whether or not your GF has a Y or Mt haplogroup that is African. The autosomal panel(s) would give you a set of markers that can be compared to databases of worldwide population frequencies for those markers, if your markers match to African populations you could construe a degree of African ancestry and, possibly, an African source population for that ancestry.

You will likely want to know more based on the outcome of any DNA test taken. The autosomal panel(s) offered by FTDNA offer the best means to get more information going forward.
                    Last edited by tomcat; 18 November 2006, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses but I still don't know where to begin.

I think it would be best to have my Grandfather take both tests as we don't even know who his Great Grandparents were.

The question is selecting a good company who are good value for money and give you the most information.

I was recommened this company for value http://www.familygenetics.co.uk/

Paul
                      Last edited by smudger28; 18 November 2006, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Costs -
                        FTDNA Y-37 & Mt Plus = US $389.00 (less if ordered through a project).
                        FTDNA Autosomal Panel 1 = US $111.60 (no discount currently available).
                        FTDNA Autosomal Panel 2 = US $ 62.00 (no discount ...)
                        DNATribes analysis of Autosomal Panel 1 = US $ 100.00 (no discount).
                        Your own research of Autosomal Panel(s) = FREE
                        DNAPrint AncestrybyDNA 2.5 test = US $219.00

Comment

Argusbio offers mtdna HVR1 and 2 for $75, which I believe is the cheapest available. Though it doesn't seem this test is of interest in this specific case.

cacio

Comment

Paul, it seems very unlikely that you can bear an African Y chromosome. So, the tests FT sells are not of much relevance for you.
                            But my Grandfather would?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by smudger28
                              But my Grandfather would?

Paul
                              can not, too, if you mean the direct male ancestor, because a son inherits the father's Y-chromosome. Moreover, it does not matter how you are connected to your grandfather because Europeans in the S Africa could have a minor admixture from maternal side rather than from paternal one. I emphasize: they may have, because there is no published samples from Boer populations. Even a mixed group may have no signs of admixture if we limit the markers set to Y/mtDNA only.
                              Last edited by vraatyah; 18 November 2006, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X