Y-Haplogroup I1a Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-Haplogroup I1a Land

The purpose of this post is to establish a Thread on this Forum for Y-Haplogroup I1a specific information, questions, answers, etc. Although my intent is for this thread to be for I1a's, others are invited to post items of interest to I1a's or I1a related questions. To be sure your post ends up in this Thread, be sure to click
    on POST REPLY at the bottom of the last post in this thread. If you are responding to a post in this Thread, click on QUOTE and then edit the quote to include only to that which you are responding.
    As far as I know this is a novel use of a forum. I hope it provides a concentrated location for I1a and invite other Haplogroups to start similar threads, if this proves useful.
    Floyd Oakes
    Y-I1a* (* until new subclate SNPs are identified)
    Ysearch NTX73
    P19+,M170+,M258+ > I
    P38+ >I1
    P30+,M253+,M307+ >I1a (P40 not tested)
    M227-,M21-,M72-,M161-,M223-,M26-,P37.2-
    Last edited by fmoakes; 15 November 2006, 05:10 PM.

First time logging in I1a

My father did the Genographic Project kit that had twelve loci examined. The results indicate he is Haplogroup I. I put his information into some kind of website (can't find it now!) that indicated he had scores of of 79 in I1a and a 50 in J2. I understand the haplogroup with the highest number is the one we should work with, right? I am a little confused. There are several "perfect" matches to his 12 on the Family Tree DNA site, and there is one on the Y search site. However, none of them have the same last name (Thompson). Is there anything significant about a perfect match if the last name is not the same?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Susan, the Dutiful Daughter

Comment

Hi Susan,

Was it this site?: https://home.comcast.net/~whitathey/predictorinstr.htm

Yes, the highest score indicates your predicted haplogroup. Of course to be really sure, an SNP test is required. This test is not normally necessary, though, unless you want to find out more about your "deep" ancestry (thousands of years ago).

It's normal to have many 12-marker matches with other surnames, however they are probably not worth persuing in most cases. Possibly at a higher number of markers it would be more significant, but not usually at 12.

Paul
      Last edited by Paul_Sheats; 15 November 2006, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I am I1a. I was thinking of getting tested for a few additional markers... the ones for determining norse/ultra-norse. I know there was a thread on here somewhere about what markers they are, but I'll have to find it again later. I need to wait until I have the funds for it.

Comment

Originally posted by JThompson
          Is there anything significant about a perfect match if the last name is not the same?
          Not much. 12 markers is usually enough to determine your ancient tribe (haplogroup), but not much more. For genealogical purposes like finding distant relatives, you really need 37 markers, or 67 if the surnames don't match.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_Sheats
            I am I1a. I was thinking of getting tested for a few additional markers... the ones for determining norse/ultra-norse. I know there was a thread on here somewhere about what markers they are, but I'll have to find it again later. I need to wait until I have the funds for it.
            Here is the link to the modal haplotypes for varieties within haplogroup I:

http://www.northwestanalysis.net/IModalI.xls

Comment

Originally posted by sundodger

Ken Nordtvedt recently posted on the Rootsweb DNA list that Ethnoancestry
              (http://www.ethnoancestry.com/) has identified 5 new SNPs that are currently equivalent to P30, M253, M307 and P40, making a total of nine. Hopefully, this search for new I1a markers will lead to subclades for I1a.
              Floyd Oakes
              Y-I1a*, mt-K1a
              Last edited by fmoakes; 16 November 2006, 07:14 AM.

Comment

DYS462 is a great marker for separating Norse from Anglo-Saxon I1a. This marker can be tested seperately by FTDNA for $15.70 if you are curious.

However, if you already have 37 markers then the Norse/Anglo-Saxon prediction can often be made without DYS462.

Comment

Originally posted by vineviz
                  DYS462 is a great marker for separating Norse from Anglo-Saxon I1a. This marker can be tested seperately by FTDNA for $15.70 if you are curious.

However, if you already have 37 markers then the Norse/Anglo-Saxon prediction can often be made without DYS462.
                  I am I1a* based on a deep SNP test. I also ordered DYS462 as soon as FTDNA made a la carte tests available. (Due 11/22)

But the I1a project group has already predicted Un based on just 25 markers. (the last 12 have been late for weeks now.) Which markers among the first 25 are the key indicators? I am guessing they are looking at 385a and 385b?

Comment

Hey, thanks for the file. I will be looking closely at this tonight.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by vineviz

For some reason I thought they were cheaper, but yeah, I knew I could test individual markers now. Thanks Vineviz. Also, there were a couple more markers mentioned.. just a matter of taking the time to look at this again.

Comment

Ken posted on rootsweb recently that he is changing webpages.
                        Here is his new address, but I am not sure if all his mterial is on it as yet??

http://knordtvedt.home.bresnan.net/

Comment

For some reason I thought they were cheaper, but yeah, I knew I could test individual markers now. Thanks Vineviz. Also, there were a couple more markers mentioned.. just a matter of taking the time to look at this again.
                          In that $15.70 figure is a one-time fee to transfer the DNA from AZ to TX. After that, single markers are generally on $6.20 each.

Comment

Okay, that makes sense. Also, I found your post where you talked about the other markers that would be helpful for I1a. I'm reposting it here in case anyone is interested:
                            ________

Advanced Tests for Haplogroup I1a

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the addition of advanced testing options by Family Tree DNA, interest is sure to run high.

One use of these new tests is to add resolution to a FTDNA 37-marker to facilitate comparison with tests offered by Sorenson, Relative Genetics, and DNA Heritage.

Another use is to refine the haplotyping of people who match at 37 markers without having to order a full 67-marker upgrade. The following markers are included in the new advanced offerings, and show strong variance (i.e. allele diversity) in haplogroup I1a:

DYS413, DYS463, DYS635, and DYS643.

In addition, DYS462 has proven to be very useful in distinguishing Scandinavian I1a haplotypes from more southern varieties of I1a.

Some of these markers have been offered by other companies, but some are unique to FTDNA. If you are I1a and are considering ordering some of the new advanced tests from FTDNA, then I urge you to consider including these six markers at a minimum.

Comment

ps. I edited your original post (above) vineviz, since you found that DYS714 was not available. Hope that's okay.

After looking at this now, I think I will order at least the DYS462. I'm very curious as I don't think my origin is Scandinavian, but rather Holland or Germany.

Comment

Working...
                              X