How distant is too distant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How distant is too distant?

I am involved with a project here where the project admin does not have a site for any of us to check results, and is unable to release info. What he has told me though is that the participants have only tested for twelve markers- I am trying to find if I am a member of this family or another one. I have tested 2 and 3 markers away from these people at 12 markers. The supposed y chromosome immigrant ancestor is twelve generations away. Can I decipher if I am a member of this particular family based on this info?

Cheers.

Originally posted by SaintManx
    I am involved with a project here where the project admin does not have a site for any of us to check results, and is unable to release info. What he has told me though is that the participants have only tested for twelve markers- I am trying to find if I am a member of this family or another one. I have tested 2 and 3 markers away from these people at 12 markers. The supposed y chromosome immigrant ancestor is twelve generations away. Can I decipher if I am a member of this particular family based on this info?
    No, not with the information you have.

You would need to compare the actual alleles for each marker for all tested descendants to make an informed conclusion.

Comment

FTDNA will build the web page for your admin

I am involved with a project here where the project admin does not have a site for any of us to check results, and is unable to release info. Cheers.
      If the project is through FTDNA they provide your admin with a tool to build a project web site on their server. You don't have to know ANY THING about building. This is just one of the many benefits provided by FTDNA. Admins who don't understand how to do it can call FTDNA and they will help.

The link for building the web site is on the admin's GAP page and is called "Family Project Website Setup".

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett
        If the project is through FTDNA they provide your admin with a tool to build a project web site on their server. You don't have to know ANY THING about building. This is just one of the many benefits provided by FTDNA. Admins who don't understand how to do it can call FTDNA and they will help.

The link for building the web site is on the admin's GAP page and is called "Family Project Website Setup".
        Jim,

Thanks for the heads up, I have passed the info on. The main reason why I submitted was to compare my DNA within this project to see if indeed I could be in this family, but come to find out, I am unable to do so because of issues that I cannot control. I really hope that the page gets setup so I can compare the values!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by vineviz
          No, not with the information you have.

You would need to compare the actual alleles for each marker for all tested descendants to make an informed conclusion.
          Well I finally pressured the PA to get the site up and running, so here is the link:

http://www.familytreedna.com/(ly1s1i45nx1p5x45lte0jtqc)/public/StJohn/index.aspx#surnames

A couple of things to notice, several of them are exact matches to eacher other so I am presuming that they are either kin or directly related, and I am the only one with a value of 12 in dys 393 of the total group(and I am not certain if that is significant). The haplogroups are varied from I ( 4 people)to R1b(4 people) to R1b1(6 people). I do not know how probabilities of relationship would work in my case of trying to prove if I am a St.John or a Castronovo- and the rest of the story is a very personal and painful one of which I am dealing with currently.

Cheers!

Comment

Well I finally pressured the PA to get the site up and running, so here is the link:

http://www.familytreedna.com/(ly1s1i45nx1p5x45lte0jtqc)/public/StJohn/index.aspx#surnames

A couple of things to notice, several of them are exact matches to eacher other so I am presuming that they are either kin or directly related, and I am the only one with a value of 12 in dys 393 of the total group(and I am not certain if that is significant). The haplogroups are varied from I ( 4 people)to R1b(4 people) to R1b1(6 people). I do not know how probabilities of relationship would work in my case of trying to prove if I am a St.John or a Castronovo- and the rest of the story is a very personal and painful one of which I am dealing with currently.

Cheers!
            I meant to mention the the two near matches at 12 markers were of a genetic difference of two (they matched each other exactly) and were in different haplogroups than I.

Comment

Mrca

Cheers.

From what I understand about rates of mutation (I am not a geneticist), statistically it doesnt seem likely that you shared a common paternal ancestor with them in the last 12 generations. In my opinion, you probably shared a MRCA about 40 generations ago or 800 to 1200 years ago, as long as they belong to the same haplogroup subclade as you, if they are two micro sats away from you.

regards,

bob
              Last edited by bob_chasm; 20 November 2006, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X