Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daffypuck
    replied
    Well, I have recieved the DNA results for David, my 1st cousin, and it looks like my suspicions are confirmed. Im still awaiting a reply from our 2nd cousin, Larry, to see if he is a match to David. If he is, that should be definitive evidence that Ed is indeed not my biological grandfather. My 1st cousins, Dave, DNA shows us as a mtch, but with only 251cM. Thats way below the threshold for shared DNA for 1st cousins. Am I correct??

Leave a comment:

• Daffypuck
    replied
    What does looking at those specific columns do for me?

Leave a comment:

• mabrams
    replied
    You are probably going to spend 90% of your time on Free Tools, with One-to-Many - Limited Version and One-to-One Autosomal

In One-to-Many, you will be concentrating on the three Autosomal columns. If you click on the Largest (blue) numbers, you will also access One-to-One.

Leave a comment:

• Daffypuck
    replied
    Wow! GEDmatch appears to have a slight learning curve. Im gonna have to watch the linked videos to get a grasp of how to use the site. Any suggestions for the first thing I should look at on the site?

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    Originally posted by Daffypuck View Post
    Ok, I have uploaded my Ancestry data to GEDcom. What am I gaining by uploading to GEDcom that I don’t already know through my matches on Ancestry?
    I hope you mean GEDmatch, a company doing genetic matching. GEDcom is a data file system for family trees.
    1. You get to see matched from autosomal results for customers of other companies who have also taken advantage of GEDmatch.
    2. You get to see where, on each chromosome, you do match your matches.
    3. You get to see the email address of your matches. AKA you don't have to use Ancestry's horrible message system.

Leave a comment:

• Daffypuck
    replied
    Ok, I have uploaded my Ancestry data to GEDcom. What am I gaining by uploading to GEDcom that I don’t already know through my matches on Ancestry?

Leave a comment:

• georgian1950
    replied
    Originally posted by mabrams View Post
    Agree with all of the above. More data is always better.

To upload your Family Finder autosomal data to GEDmatch, look at your FTDNA home page. Under Family Finder, there is a See More button, which connects you to Data Download. Take the third option of Concatenated Data.
    If I recall his kits are from Ancestry.com

On the Ancestry home page, select DNA, then on the next screeen in the upper right, click on 'Settings'

you need to page down on the next screen past 'Test Management' and 'Actions'. You should see 'download DNA Data'.

Leave a comment:

• mabrams
    replied
    Agree with all of the above. More data is always better.

To upload your Family Finder autosomal data to GEDmatch, look at your FTDNA home page. Under Family Finder, there is a See More button, which connects you to Data Download. Take the third option of Concatenated Data.

At GEDmatch, you will have to create an acct. Follow directions. When you are registered, you will see a Generic DNA upload on the right side. Again, follow the instructions.

An upload can take 1 to 2 days to completely process, although you can start looking after 8 hours to see if your data finished calculations early.

~~~~~

If you want to explore the Y37, you could test now. Most FTDNA Y sales are modest. The one that just ended was $119 to $99. Not a huge discount, so maybe better to do it now. (There might be a better sale in Nov/Dec). If you purchase now, you could have results by Nov 1.

You get a basic haplogroup out of Y37 (in addition to the 37 markers). You can also get simple haplogroups out of AncestryDNA raw data by looking at YSeq CladeFinder.

Leave a comment:

• Daffypuck
    replied
    Amy and Jason are actually half-siblings, same father. If Dave is a match to Larry, then that also means that Dave is actually only a half-1st cousin to Amy and Jason. I know dna is a finicky thing when it comes to distribution, but if that’s the case and Dave ends up being a half-1st cousin, I would presume that his shared cM total with Amy and Jason would be less than the norm for full 1st cousins.
    One thing is for certain, Mike is Amy and Jason’s father, beyond a shadow of a doubt. Dave is also 100% Amy and Jason’s half 1st cousin at least.
    Being that Amy and Jason share the same father, it helps when figuring out which distant matches are on Jason’s mothers side and Jason’s fathers side. I know, not definitely since we’re all related, but it can help initially.
    Thanks for all of y’all’s help. I appreciate it. How do I upload GEDcom? Where do I get the info to upload?

Leave a comment:

• blanko
    replied
    Good suggestions from georgian1950 for Daffypuck. It is a failing of Ancestry that they don't have a chromosome browser. You could upload the kits to GEDmatch, and also to FTDNA or MyHeritage. Both of the last two will let you see your full match lists for free, and unlock other features for a fee ($29 for MyHeritage, $19 for FTDNA). Uploads to GEDmatch are free, and allow using some tools, but some other tools require a subscription.

Some other points to consider.

If you find out that Mike's father wasn't Ed, yours and Amy's DNA match lists might show some half second cousins, or even a half great/grand aunt or great/grand uncle, who might be related to Mike's actual father. Maybe you can tell who they are by the ancestry of such matches. These might be obviously different from Ed's ancestry, or Ed's wife's ancestors or your mother's.

For YDNA, wait to see if Dave turns out NOT to be Jason's and Amy's first cousin. If he doesn't match them, then Jason doing a YDNA test might be useful because it could show a lot of YDNA matches who have one surname that is different than Ed's surname, and no matches with Ed's surname.​ Could be useful if you want to know the real father's surname for Mike. If Dave matches Larry as full second cousin, then having Dave do a YDNA test would give you the haplogroup for Ed and Matt. Besides finding that out, I don't think a YDNA test for Dave would be useful because the autosomal test already would have told you if there is a relationship or not.

Wait for a sale to do any YDNA tests at FTDNA. But start with testing Dave at Ancestry.​​

Leave a comment:

• georgian1950
    replied
    Originally posted by Daffypuck View Post
    No, these are Ancestry kits. Thanks just do t like asking questions on Facebook. This forum looked a bit more well versed on the subject than your average FB user. I’m glad you mentioned GEDmatch. What is the significance of that?
    The matching process on Ancestry is not very transparent and the user does not have access to a chromosome browser. By uploading the kits to GEDmatch.com, you could check the matches there and see which segments they match on. Also you have access to a database which includes kits from other vendors. If you do choose to upload the kits to GEDmatch.com, I would be glad to take a look at them for you.

Leave a comment:

• blanko
    replied
    Many people assume what they've always known to be the truth. But DNA does not lie, especially not for identifying relationships between people. Your best plan is to have Dave do an autosomal test at the same company where you and Amy and Larry have already tested. His relationships (or non-relationships) to the rest of you should answer your question. Once you have Dave tested, you will know more.

I don't mean any disrespect or to cause grief by suggesting the other possibilities. You are probably right in your reasoning, I'm just putting out some other possible situations besides the obvious one.

If Dave matches Larry, but doesn't match you and Amy, then you've narrowed it down to your grandfather Ed not being Mike's father. This is only true if you and Amy share enough DNA to show your relationship as full siblings, since that would prove you both have the same two parents. There's also the rare possibility that for some reason, Mike was not the father of you and Amy, but you both had the same, other father; you'd still be full siblings in that case. Just another possibility, even if it's far out.

There are charts to see relationships using the amount of shared DNA. These are based on the Shared cM Project. Latest version: https://thegeneticgenealogist.com/wp...ship-Chart.png Example for full sibling: average 2613 cM, range 1613-3488. You can check the amounts for other relationships (2nd cousin, half-cousins etc.) at the link. Also even easier the DNA Painter website has a tool using data from the Shared cM Project: https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4 Just plug in the amounts and you can see the possible relationships and the percent chance for each.

Leave a comment:

• Daffypuck
    replied
    No, these are Ancestry kits. Thanks just do t like asking questions on Facebook. This forum looked a bit more well versed on the subject than your average FB user. I’m glad you mentioned GEDmatch. What is the significance of that?

Leave a comment:

• georgian1950
    replied
    Nevermind! I didn't read what you said correctly.

Are all of the kits on Family Finder? Have you uploaded them to GEDmatch?

Leave a comment:

• Daffypuck
    replied
    I am certain that Ed is the patriarch of the family, but wouldn’t an ancestry dna kit answer the same question? If Dave is a match with Larry, I would assume Ed is not my grandfather.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X