Is he my Grandfather or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mabrams View Post
    Agree with all of the above. More data is always better.

To upload your Family Finder autosomal data to GEDmatch, look at your FTDNA home page. Under Family Finder, there is a See More button, which connects you to Data Download. Take the third option of Concatenated Data.
    If I recall his kits are from Ancestry.com

On the Ancestry home page, select DNA, then on the next screeen in the upper right, click on 'Settings'

you need to page down on the next screen past 'Test Management' and 'Actions'. You should see 'download DNA Data'.

Comment

Ok, I have uploaded my Ancestry data to GEDcom. What am I gaining by uploading to GEDcom that I don’t already know through my matches on Ancestry?

Comment

Originally posted by Daffypuck View Post
        Ok, I have uploaded my Ancestry data to GEDcom. What am I gaining by uploading to GEDcom that I don’t already know through my matches on Ancestry?
        I hope you mean GEDmatch, a company doing genetic matching. GEDcom is a data file system for family trees.
        1. You get to see matched from autosomal results for customers of other companies who have also taken advantage of GEDmatch.
        2. You get to see where, on each chromosome, you do match your matches.
        3. You get to see the email address of your matches. AKA you don't have to use Ancestry's horrible message system.

Comment

Wow! GEDmatch appears to have a slight learning curve. Im gonna have to watch the linked videos to get a grasp of how to use the site. Any suggestions for the first thing I should look at on the site?

Comment

You are probably going to spend 90% of your time on Free Tools, with One-to-Many - Limited Version and One-to-One Autosomal

In One-to-Many, you will be concentrating on the three Autosomal columns. If you click on the Largest (blue) numbers, you will also access One-to-One.

Comment

What does looking at those specific columns do for me?

Comment

Well, I have recieved the DNA results for David, my 1st cousin, and it looks like my suspicions are confirmed. Im still awaiting a reply from our 2nd cousin, Larry, to see if he is a match to David. If he is, that should be definitive evidence that Ed is indeed not my biological grandfather. My 1st cousins, Dave, DNA shows us as a mtch, but with only 251cM. Thats way below the threshold for shared DNA for 1st cousins. Am I correct??

Comment

Working...
                X