Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Received My R1b1c 25 Markers...

1. In Y-DNA Matches, I have 2 exact matches, 26 with a genetic
    distance of 1 and 118 with a genetic match of 2.

2. In Recent Ancestral Origins, I have 2 exact matches (origins
    Germany and Hungary), 42 with a genetic distance of 1 and 129 with a genetic distance of 2. Here are the 42:

22 from UK/Ireland
    8 from Switzerland
    4 from France
    4 from Germany
    2 from Spain
    1 from Belgium
    1 from Poland

QUESTION: Can someone tell me why DNA Matches and RAO shows different matches at the same genetic distance?

3. In the Y Search, I have 2 exact matches (origins Germany and
    Hungary) and 22 with a genetic distance of 1:

10 from UK/Ireland
    8 from Unknown
    3 from Germany
    1 from Spain

4. I went to yhrd.org, but you can input only 10 markers.

QUESTION: Does anyone know how you input more markers in yhrd.org?

Lloyd A.
    R1b1c

Originally posted by lapp15
    1. In Y-DNA Matches, I have 2 exact matches, 26 with a genetic
    distance of 1 and 118 with a genetic match of 2.

2. In Recent Ancestral Origins, I have 2 exact matches (origins
    Germany and Hungary), 42 with a genetic distance of 1 and 129 with a genetic distance of 2. Here are the 42:

22 from UK/Ireland
    8 from Switzerland
    4 from France
    4 from Germany
    2 from Spain
    1 from Belgium
    1 from Poland

QUESTION: Can someone tell me why DNA Matches and RAO shows different matches at the same genetic distance?

3. In the Y Search, I have 2 exact matches (origins Germany and
    Hungary) and 22 with a genetic distance of 1:

10 from UK/Ireland
    8 from Unknown
    3 from Germany
    1 from Spain

4. I went to yhrd.org, but you can input only 10 markers.

QUESTION: Does anyone know how you input more markers in yhrd.org?

Lloyd A.
    R1b1c
    As far as your question in point 4, I think the answer is that the database at yhrd.org is based on the work of academic and scientific population genetics researchers. It may sound strange, but the people who do the research about deep ancestry and population migrations rely on testing far less markers than genetic genealogists use for their recent ancestry research. No genetic genealogist who understands the value of DNA testing would rely on less than 37 markers in determining relatedness between two people. If you were to read the postings on the Genealogy-DNA e-mail list at Rootsweb.com, you would find that many genetic genealogists, amateurs as far as population genetics is concerned, are involved in many interesting and ground-breaking discussions about deep ancestry and finding new SNPs to further subdivide haplogroups.

Have you uploaded your results to ysearch yet? If so, what is your ID? I think it's interesting that you have exact matches at 25 markers with men with German and Hungarian ancestry. Most R1b1c's will match more to the British Isles, so I'd like to look at your haplotype. What is the ethnic ancestry of your paternal line?

Mike Maddi

Comment

Just Received My R1b1c Markers...

Originally posted by MMaddi
      As far as your question in point 4, I think the answer is that the database at yhrd.org is based on the work of academic and scientific population genetics researchers. It may sound strange, but the people who do the research about deep ancestry and population migrations rely on testing far less markers than genetic genealogists use for their recent ancestry research. No genetic genealogist who understands the value of DNA testing would rely on less than 37 markers in determining relatedness between two people. If you were to read the postings on the Genealogy-DNA e-mail list at Rootsweb.com, you would find that many genetic genealogists, amateurs as far as population genetics is concerned, are involved in many interesting and ground-breaking discussions about deep ancestry and finding new SNPs to further subdivide haplogroups.

Have you uploaded your results to ysearch yet? If so, what is your ID? I think it's interesting that you have exact matches at 25 markers with men with German and Hungarian ancestry. Most R1b1c's will match more to the British Isles, so I'd like to look at your haplotype. What is the ethnic ancestry of your paternal line?

Mike Maddi
      Mike:

I have, in fact, uploaded my results to ysearch. In the Y Search, I have 2 exact matches (origins Germany and Hungary) and 22 with a genetic distance of 1:

10 from UK/Ireland
      8 from Unknown
      3 from Germany
      1 from Spain

My ID is RJKGE. My ethnic ancestry is Ashkenazi Jewish. Of the two exact matches, the match with roots from Hungary appears to be of Jewish origin also.

I am part of the Jewish R1b group. Numerous ideas, including an ancient Israelite R1b source, as well as conversions/intermarriages/other admixtures have been proposed as explanations for Jewish R1bs.

Question: Doesn't the prominance of UK/Ireland matches at 11/12 mean that a Western European source is still a possibility?

Lloyd A.

Comment

I think the reason you have fewer people in your Y-DNA matches than your recent ancestral origins matches is that Y-DNA matches include names and therefore they only release info on people who have consented to have their results shared, whereas RAO matches are anonymous so all matches get included. That is just a guess, but I have just one named Y-DNA exact match at 25 (who won't answer his e-mail) and two RAO exact matches - presumably my Y-DNA exact match and another who doesn't want to share his results. Just guessing though.

Comment

Originally posted by lapp15
          Question: Doesn't the prominance of UK/Ireland matches at 11/12 mean that a Western European source is still a possibility?
          Not really.

People from the British Isles are disproportionately represented in the ySearch and FTDNA databases.

For example, imagine someone got 10 matches from the UK and 2 matches from Hungary. However, imagine that the database contains 1,300 samples from the UK and 25 from Hungary.

You want to seek out the geographies where you match the highest percentage of people.

UK = 10/1,300 = 0.769%

Hungary = 2/25 = 8.000%

You should conclude that this person's ancestry is much more likely to be Hungarian than British.

Could he possibly be British? Sure, but not likely.

Comment

FTDNA should really be providing these percentages because a lot of people are left confused about their heritage as a result of the predominance of UK and US samples.

John

Comment

Working...
            X