Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GedMatch admixture projects

Hello everyone,

So I initially took a Y-dna 111 test and did not exactly have any reliable matches, except 1 at 25 markers. It seems my genetic makeup is pretty rare so my research has been subpar.
    I decided to also take an autosomal DNA to see if I can distinguish or triangulate common ancestry with others in the FTDNA database. I can't say I have had much luck just yet but that is mostly due to my inexperience. My goal is to see if I can find and confirm Jewish ancestry, and with the limited information I have had so far I decided to upload my autosomal results onto Gedmatch.

I played around with the admixtures but have difficulty making sense of the results in Oracle, FTDNA says I am like 50% Iberian with 0% sephardic/ashkenazi ancestry. While MDLP world -22 oracle results show %70+ Ashkenazim on several lines from primary population sources.

secondary population says Moroccan, and Ethiopia Jew with a genetic distance of <7. Though FTDNA does seem to generate Morocco and egyptian, These results kind of seem contradictory and perhaps I am just reading the data wrong. I tried my best to comb through videos and articles to better understand gedmatch and am Just seeking assistance/clarity.

Am I using the right admixture project? or Perhaps the numbers are negligible?
    For those who are experienced genealogists with gedmatch, how would you go about this?

Thanks in advance for any and all consideration, I greatly appreciate it.

Copy your autosomal data to MyHeritage too, they have interesting genetic groups.

Comment

Originally posted by vmkiili View Post
      Copy your autosomal data to MyHeritage too, they have interesting genetic groups.
      Good thinking, I forgot that I could actually do something like that. I’ll see what I find and see if it correlates to my findings on Gedmatch.

thanks!

Comment

https://dna-explained.com/2020/12/24...at-myheritage/

https://dna-explained.com/2021/06/04...at-myheritage/

Provided by Roberta Estes and should help.

Last edited by Biblioteque; 7 June 2021, 08:00 AM.

Comment

This is an awesome read, thanks!

Comment

Aia, be aware that what MyHeritage calls "Genetic Groups" does not really have an equivalent at GEDmatch. See Roberta Estes' blog post "Introducing Genetic Groups at MyHeritage" for details, but basically it is a feature that complements the MyHeritage ethnicity estimate; it adds another "layer of specificity," per Roberta. Apparently it is based on a mix of DNA and genealogy (perhaps based on information from your matches). They do seem to have a good amount of Jewish Genetic Groups; under "Show All Available Regions," I see 24 Ashkenazi Jewish genetic groups under Europe, 8 for Yemenite Jewish under Middle East, 11 for Sephardic Jewish - North African under Africa, and 8 for Mizrahi Jewish - Iranian/Iraqi under Asia.

Another thing is that MyHeritage is supposed to come out with an update for their ethnicity estimates (which are currently not the best) sometime this year, so that is something we can look forward to. We can keep our fingers crossed that it improves the estimates for most people.

Here are a few pages that may help with the admixtures at GEDmatch:Once you are logged in to GEDmatch, you can use their Wiki to go to their Admixture page (under "Information" in the right column, choose GEDmatch Wiki, then under "Ethnicity and Population Genetics Tools" choose "Admixture - Ethnicity Calculators"). There are links on the latter page to pages explaining the Admixture calculators and a List of reference populations.

Edited to add: Ooops! I see Biblioteque already posted links to Roberta Estes' blog posts. I was too slow to make my post. Great minds think alike!
            Last edited by KATM; 7 June 2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
              Aia, be aware that what MyHeritage calls "Genetic Groups" does not really have an equivalent at GEDmatch. See Roberta Estes' blog post "Introducing Genetic Groups at MyHeritage" for details, but basically it is a feature that complements the MyHeritage ethnicity estimate; it adds another "layer of specificity," per Roberta. Apparently it is based on a mix of DNA and genealogy (perhaps based on information from your matches). They do seem to have a good amount of Jewish Genetic Groups; under "Show All Available Regions," I see 24 Ashkenazi Jewish genetic groups under Europe, 8 for Yemenite Jewish under Middle East, 11 for Sephardic Jewish - North African under Africa, and 8 for Mizrahi Jewish - Iranian/Iraqi under Asia.

Another thing is that MyHeritage is supposed to come out with an update for their ethnicity estimates (which are currently not the best) sometime this year, so that is something we can look forward to. We can keep our fingers crossed that it improves the estimates for most people.

Here are a few pages that may help with the admixtures at GEDmatch:Once you are logged in to GEDmatch, you can use their Wiki to go to their Admixture page (under "Information" in the right column, choose GEDmatch Wiki, then under "Ethnicity and Population Genetics Tools" choose "Admixture - Ethnicity Calculators"). There are links on the latter page to pages explaining the Admixture calculators and a List of reference populations.

Edited to add: Ooops! I see Biblioteque already posted links to Roberta Estes' blog posts. I was too slow to make my post. Great minds think alike!
              Please don't apologize all of this is very helpful, thank you so much. I was actually going through Roberta's second article. I find this stuff fascinating. As far as the Gedmatch list of reference populations, I was actually looking for this. I knew that the different projects were using different calculators but I was kinda having a hard time choosing the proper project since I did not know exactly what population it was comparing it to. I'll take a look at the wiki now as well.

Thanks again for the replies and helpful informaiton!

Comment

These are my admixture results on Gedmatch. While My Results finish processing on MyHeritage, if anyone can look at my results and possibly tell me if this is relevant in looking into potential Jewish ancestry. My understanding of distances etc are based on Dna results but to my understanding this is more a comparison to data and not actual dna correct? Would these results warrant a closer look to this possibility?

Using 1 population approximation:
                1 Morocco_Jews @ 26.334215
                2 North_African_Jews_Dodecad @ 30.030283
                3 Egypt @ 33.944363
                4 Egyptans @ 35.723030
                5 Tuscan @ 36.378551
                6 North_African_Dodecad @ 36.751041
                7 Libya @ 37.173042
                8 North_Italian @ 38.170021
                9 Jordanians @ 38.906471
                10 Druze @ 39.729176
                11 Yemenese @ 41.170361
                12 Algeria @ 43.261131
                13 Morocco_N @ 49.371777
                14 Moroccans @ 53.716137
                15 Bedouin @ 54.605453
                16 Morocco_S @ 54.984741
                17 Ethiopians @ 55.968433
                18 Ethiopian_Jews @ 56.100273
                19 East_African_Dodecad @ 56.868797
                20 Yemen_Jews @ 60.892780

Using 2 populations approximation:
                1 50% Morocco_S +50% Tuscan @ 17.290159

Using 3 populations approximation:
                1 50% Egypt +25% French_Basque +25% Luhya @ 8.581036

Using 4 populations approximation:
                ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                1 Bantu_N.E. + French_Basque + Jordanians + North_African_Dodecad @ 2.908554
                2 Bantu_N.E. + Druze + French_Basque + North_African_Dodecad @ 3.280122
                3 Bantu_N.E. + North_African_Dodecad + North_Italian + Tuscan @ 3.307728
                4 French_Basque + Jordanians + Luhya + North_African_Dodecad @ 3.376245
                5 Bantu_N.E. + North_African_Dodecad + Tuscan + Tuscan @ 3.401177
                6 Algeria + Bantu_N.E. + Druze + French_Basque @ 3.584120
                7 Algeria + Bantu_N.E. + North_Italian + Tuscan @ 3.669154
                8 Druze + French_Basque + Luhya + North_African_Dodecad @ 3.718131
                9 Bantu_N.E. + French_Basque + Libya + Morocco_Jews @ 3.732067
                10 Luhya + North_African_Dodecad + North_Italian + Tuscan @ 3.741386
                11 Algeria + Bantu_N.E. + Tuscan + Tuscan @ 3.764431
                12 Luhya + North_African_Dodecad + Tuscan + Tuscan @ 3.844231
                13 Bantu_N.E. + French_Basque + Libya + North_African_Jews_Dodecad @ 3.960943
                14 Bantu_N.E. + North_African_Dodecad + North_Italian + North_Italian @ 4.002214
                15 Bantu_N.E. + Morocco_N + Tuscan + Tuscan @ 4.074521
                16 French_Basque + Libya + Luhya + Morocco_Jews @ 4.142946
                17 Bantu_N.E. + French_Basque + North_African_Dodecad + North_African_Jews_Dodecad @ 4.175584
                18 Algeria + Druze + French_Basque + Luhya @ 4.177912
                19 Algeria + Luhya + North_Italian + Tuscan @ 4.246001
                20 Algeria + Bantu_N.E. + French_Basque + Jordanians @ 4.252435

Comment

Working...
                X