Big Y-700 or SNP Marker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Y-700 or SNP Marker?

I just got my results for the Y-DNA haplogroup and my predicted haplogroup is R-M269. I want to know which branch of R-M269 it is: should I order the Big Y-700 or is it enough if I order the Y-DNA SNPs test for marker M269?

Thank you. I really need your advice here.

I highly recommend the Big Y-700. It is the most informative of FTDNA's Y-DNA tests, much more so than the very general SNP test for R1b-M269. It costs more, that is true, but it should be the last Y-DNA test you'll ever need. If you get the M269 test, on the other hand, you'll eventually want the Big Y-700 anyway. Might as well do it now and save yourself the cost of the lesser, intermediate step.

I've done the Big Y-700, and I am extremely pleased with the results. I don't regret it at all.

Comment

Which level STR test did you do (Y-37, Y-67 for example)? Have you joined any projects, where a project administrator might give you some guidance? You could join a surname project or one base on geographical location, but I would instead advise joining the R_R1b ALL Subclades to start. They may be able to narrow down your branch a bit, based on your results, and then help you decide what to do next. If you are willing and can afford the Big Y-700, I'm sure they won't stop you!

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
        Which level STR test did you do (Y-37, Y-67 for example)? Have you joined any projects, where a project administrator might give you some guidance? You could join a surname project or one base on geographical location, but I would instead advise joining the R_R1b ALL Subclades to start. They may be able to narrow down your branch a bit, based on your results, and then help you decide what to do next. If you are willing and can afford the Big Y-700, I'm sure they won't stop you!
        I did the Y-111. And I didn't join any project.

Comment

If one reads the recommendations from the Background page of the R_R1b ALL Subclades Project, he will see this (I put the bit about the Big Y in bold):

6A. Big Y-700 is the preferred test. It is probably the most important test you can take. It is a Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) test that discovers new SNPs by scanning over 14.5 million locations on the Y chromosome. A tremendous benefit is you will discover SNPs for just your paternal lineage as well as identify ancient SNPs that you may share with many, many other people. Big Y has the ability to discover SNPs that are pertinent to the genealogical timeframe, the last couple of hundred years. The Big Y learning web site has more details. www.familytreedna.com/learn/y-dna-testing/big-y/. Please read the Lewis and Clark Expedition analogy for Big Y exploration on the FAQ page. www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1b/faq/
          For Q&A on Big Y specifically go to www.facebook.com/groups/R1b.YDNA/

6B. The R1b-M343 & M269 Backbone SNP Pack is a cost effective option that gives you coverage of the large branches of R1b. It can place you in the appropriate major subclades of R1b. You can order it from your FTDNA account. If you don't see the option, please check the blue UPGRADES button, then the BUY NOW button in the ADVANCED TESTS box, and pick SNP PACK in the SELECT A PRODUCT box.
          Good advice.
          Last edited by Stevo; 8 May 2021, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I agree with the advice from Stevo and the R_R1b ALL Subclades Project. I have had testing done for two Y-DNA lines on kits I manage; one was able to complete the Big Y-700, and he had done a SNP test plus a SNP pack test before doing the original Big Y (in addition to upgrading to Y-111). Just from an economic viewpoint, I would think in most cases nowadays it is best to save up funds to "cut to the chase" and do the Big Y-700, vs. other Y tests, or if anything else, do the recommended test in 6B above. If history is any indication, FTDNA will most likely have a sale on Y-DNA tests for Father's Day, including Big Y.

For any others reading this who have done lower STR tests (Y-67 or lower) and are thinking of upgrading, keep in mind also that the Big Y-700 includes the Y-111 markers.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
              I agree with the advice from Stevo and the R_R1b ALL Subclades Project. I have had testing done for two Y-DNA lines on kits I manage; one was able to complete the Big Y-700, and he had done a SNP test plus a SNP pack test before doing the original Big Y (in addition to upgrading to Y-111). Just from an economic viewpoint, I would think in most cases nowadays it is best to save up funds to "cut to the chase" and do the Big Y-700, vs. other Y tests, or if anything else, do the recommended test in 6B above. If history is any indication, FTDNA will most likely have a sale on Y-DNA tests for Father's Day, including Big Y.

For any others reading this who have done lower STR tests (Y-67 or lower) and are thinking of upgrading, keep in mind also that the Big Y-700 includes the Y-111 markers.
              Good post. I wish the "Like" function worked here. Then I could have just given your post a "Like".

Comment

I think it would be a good addition, as I've wanted to "like" posts, too!

Comment

Wish there was a like icon but. I am pleased to read this as I am waiting for my Y-700 DNA kit. Can’t wait to see what comes out of it!
                  8 May 2021, 09:06 AM

Comment

Hi Steve,
                    Really appreciate your post here under.. I can’t wait to get my Y-700 DNA kit and I’m also doing the mt-DNA full sequence. It is imperative I get the full report of both.

6A. Big Y-700 is the preferred test. It is probably the most important test you can take. It is a Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) test that discovers new SNPs by scanning over 14.5 million locations on the Y chromosome. A tremendous benefit is you will discover SNPs for just your paternal lineage as well as identify ancient SNPs that you may share with many, many other people. Big Y has the ability to discover SNPs that are pertinent to the genealogical timeframe, the last couple of hundred years. The Big Y learning web site has more details. www.familytreedna.com/learn/y-dna-testing/big-y/. Please read the Lewis and Clark Expedition analogy for Big Y exploration on the FAQ page. www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1b/faq/
                    For Q&A on Big Y specifically go to www.facebook.com/groups/R1b.YDNA/

Comment

Hi KA 13, of what I’ve heard, go forward the big Y-700 DNA test.. It’s worth it..

You quoted:

I just got my results for the Y-DNA haplogroup and my predicted haplogroup is R-M269. I want to know which branch of R-M269 it is: should I order the Big Y-700 or is it enough if I order the Y-DNA SNPs test for marker M269?

Thank you. I really need your advice here.

Comment

Big Y & Family Finder are the two most interesting and important tests you can take. Both keep on giving.

Comment

SNP tests are waste of money. You'll get thousands of years old haplogroup which can be calculated from your markers anyway.

What to do if you want a more accurate haplogroup than R-M269 or similar and don't want to upgrade to Big Y yet?
                          1. If you have Y-37: Upgrade to Y-111. Y-37 isn't good for matching anyway. After upgrade your haplogroup won't change, but check #2.
                          2. If you have Y-111: Check if you have 67 or 111 marker matches who have taken Big Y. If you do, your haplogroup is probably very near to them. If you took Big Y, you could possibly form a new haplogroup with one of them.
                          3. If you don't have high level matches with Big Y, use Nevgen: https://www.nevgen.org/
                            It will give you an estimate of your haplogroup (remember to select your haplogroup from menu!). If your branch is very rare, it is possible that you won't get a good estimate. In that case I think it is a good idea to get Big Y anyway.
                          I think that Big Y-700 is definitely worth the money though.

Comment

Since one picture is worth a thousand words, I want to post a graphic I made a while back that illustrates the kind of branching one can get from having himself Big Y tested and from talking some of his matches into getting the Big Y test. Some of the folks depicted in the graphic below have had only the old Big Y-500. Some of us have had the Big Y-700. If we could get everyone upgraded to the Big Y-700, we might discover a few more branches.

Everyone under BY166, except Selfe (on the right), is an 111-marker match for me, and Selfe is only just beyond FTDNA's 111-marker match reporting range, at ten or eleven off me at 111 markers. The guys under FT61490 are not 111-marker matches for those of us under BY166, but we are all derived for BY168 and so share that common BY168 ancestor around 550 BC.

The point of all this is that Big Y testing is essential if you really want to know what is going on. Often fairly close 111-marker matches are on different branches, although all your 111-marker matches coalesce with you at some point in the past in the loins of a common Y-DNA ancestor.

All of my 111-marker matches coalesce at FT83585, around 1500 AD, with the exception of the Webbs, who are under BY38518 and coalesce with those of us under FT83585 at BY166.

R1b-BY168 subclades.jpg
                            Last edited by Stevo; 23 May 2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

It makes you stronger.

Popeye_Big Y-700.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X