Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA Ancestral Origins

Regarding the Y-DNA Ancestral Origins

Where you have your matches it says how many people you match to also the country and how many in that country have tested but where do i go to find those people I have tried clicking on it but nothing happens is there a way of finding these people.

Dominican Republic 2 42 4.8%

How do I find out who those 2 people are?

Also there is a section with comments in what do they all mean

England 262 44011 0.6% Unknown Origin (1)

Czech Republic 8 1501 0.5% Bohemia (1)

El Salvador 2 59 3.4% MDKO: El Salvador (1)

Italy 19 6498 0.3% Sicily (3)

Jamaica 1 136 0.7% MDKO: Jamaica (1)

Scotland 152 20875 0.7% MDKO: New Zealand (1), MDKO: United States (1)

Any help would be of great use.

Kind Regards,
    Tom

Originally posted by PoTTerTea View Post
    Regarding the Y-DNA Ancestral Origins

Where you have your matches it says how many people you match to also the country and how many in that country have tested but where do i go to find those people I have tried clicking on it but nothing happens is there a way of finding these people.

Dominican Republic 2 42 4.8%

How do I find out who those 2 people are?

Also there is a section with comments in what do they all mean
    The Y-DNA Ancestral Origins page in the FTDNA Learning Center answers one of your questions (what do the comments mean):
    • Country – This is the paternal country of origin as reported by the individual customer.
    • Match Total – This is the total number of matches for a specific country.
    • Country Total – This is the total number of people with Y-Chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) results from the country of origin in the Family Tree DNA Y-DNA database.
    • Percentage – This is the percentage from the country of origin compared to the total number from that country in the database, i.e., the Match Total column divided by the Country Total column.
    • Comment – This is additional information reported by the customer such as a social, religious, or ethnic group. Where more than one match from a country has provided the same comment, the number of matches is shown beside the comment. For example, someone with matches in Germany might have Baden-Württemberg (2) and Schleswig-Holstein (7).
    You may want to review the "Ancestral Origins Page Questions" at the link above. The Ancestral Origins page is not intended to link to your matches, unfortunately. To find out who the two people with Dominican Republic ancestry are, I would note at what level of Y-DNA test they are shown in on the Ancestral Origins page (such as 37, etc.), AND the genetic distance (such as 0, -2, -7, depending upon level of STR), and then check that level in your Y-DNA matches for people with that genetic distance. While your matches may not always put a location for their Most Distant Known Ancestor (MDKA), you may be able to determine them based on the surname of the MDKA, if the country is relatively unique for such a surname.

I would not put a lot of faith in finding the connection if those two matches are at the lower levels (12 or 25, maybe even 37), or if combined with a more distant genetic distance (see questions for Genetic Distance in the Learning Center). The reason being that if they do not match you at a higher level, or have a great genetic distance, your connection may be too far back in time to be determined.

If you share a surname with a Y-DNA STR match, you can find charts explaining the probabilities of being related at a given STR level at the following pages:

Comment

Thanks for all your help KATM its much appreciated

Comment

Yes, thank you. This is helpful

Comment

Working...
        X