Y DNA Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y DNA Help

Hello and thank you for adding me to your brilliant forums I am new to Y DNA and was wondering if some kind person could point me in the right direction of a beginners guide to what I can do with my results when I get them. Any help would be of great use.

Kind Regards
    Tom

Without knowing which Y-DNA testing you've done, I'll assume you started with a Y-DNA 37 marker test.

You could always start with the FTDNA Learning Center pages on Y-DNA:Additionally, these pages may help you:

Comment

Thank You KATM for all your help

Comment

There are many possible outcomes from a Y DNA test. Sometimes you end up with a conclusive result, sometimes there are no significant matches at all. Whether the result, whatever it turns out to be, is helpful, depends on your reasons for taking the test and the specific genealogical problems you have encountered. Fortunately, there will be many people here who will be able to advise you from their personal experience when you reach that point.

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
          There are many possible outcomes from a Y DNA test. Sometimes you end up with a conclusive result, sometimes there are no significant matches at all. Whether the result, whatever it turns out to be, is helpful, depends on your reasons for taking the test and the specific genealogical problems you have encountered. Fortunately, there will be many people here who will be able to advise you from their personal experience when you reach that point.
          Thanks for your help

Kind Regards,
          Tom

Comment

A Y chromosome DNA test (Y-DNA test) is a genealogical DNA test which is used to explore a man's patrilineal or direct father's-line ancestry. The two matched persons may find a common ancestor or MRCA, as well as whatever information the other already has about their joint patriline or father's line prior to the MRCA.

Comment

Working...
            X