Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions

I was going to have my brother take a combined 37 marker test to trace my father's family to Canada and beyond and my mother's family to Lithuania.

I read somewhere that it is better to have my mother tested to look for her ancestry than my brother as it will go back another gerneration. This will of course cost more and price is an issue. I also want the results to go to the Genographic project. How do I make this happen, is ther a cost involved ? I am going to pay for the test will I be able to play with the results on my brother's DNA? He is not into figure out halogroups etc. Any advice?

Originally posted by Parsley
    I was going to have my brother take a combined 37 marker test to trace my father's family to Canada and beyond and my mother's family to Lithuania.

I read somewhere that it is better to have my mother tested to look for her ancestry than my brother as it will go back another gerneration. This will of course cost more and price is an issue. I also want the results to go to the Genographic project. How do I make this happen, is ther a cost involved ? I am going to pay for the test will I be able to play with the results on my brother's DNA? He is not into figure out halogroups etc. Any advice?
    If you test through the Genographic Project it will cost about $200US to get a basic 12 marker y-DNA test and a basic HVR 1 mt-DNA. The cost to do the same through FTDNA is comparable but you will be asked to donate $15US per result to get posted on the Genographic Project. But if you order through the Genographic Project you can transfer your results to FTDNA.

You could run both tests off your brother's DNA sample, - he has your father's y-DNA and you both share the same mt-DNA that is, most likely, identical in every detail to that of your mother.

If you feel you need a 37 marker y-DNA test for genealogical purposes you could elect to get an mt-DNA Plus at the same time (again only your brother's sample is needed). Consult FTDNA home page for price of combined test (again posting the basic results to Genographic will cost $15US per basic result).

Hope his helps.

Comment

Working...
    X