In need of help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of help

I have a strong paper genealogy of males in my birth family, and I had a nephew YDNA test at 37 and then at 67 markers to validate (father and brother would not test, nephew is son of the brother). Turns out, there were only 2 birth-family-name matches at 25 genetic distance of 2, none at 37 markers, two at 67 markers at a genetic distance of 7, and one of the two at 67 markers haplogroups do not match. There are, as far as I know, no other males who have tested from this particular male line of this rather common surname. There are 2 other surnames that keep showing up throughout the testing at 12, 25, 37, and 67, and the TIP report percentages increase...My question: Is there a way to tell, based on the genetic distances, etc., how far back an NPE took place? There is one generation in particular, 7 generations back, where a surname that keeps turning up at 12, 25, 37, and 67 was a neighbor to the birth-family surname, but I cannot prove it further than that, unless there is something in the markers and genetic distances that can help me narrow it down. Any help please? Thank you!

Originally posted by Newnana View Post
    I have a strong paper genealogy of males in my birth family, and I had a nephew YDNA test at 37 and then at 67 markers to validate (father and brother would not test, nephew is son of the brother). Turns out, there were only 2 birth-family-name matches at 25 genetic distance of 2, none at 37 markers, two at 67 markers at a genetic distance of 7, and one of the two at 67 markers haplogroups do not match. There are, as far as I know, no other males who have tested from this particular male line of this rather common surname. There are 2 other surnames that keep showing up throughout the testing at 12, 25, 37, and 67, and the TIP report percentages increase...My question: Is there a way to tell, based on the genetic distances, etc., how far back an NPE took place? There is one generation in particular, 7 generations back, where a surname that keeps turning up at 12, 25, 37, and 67 was a neighbor to the birth-family surname, but I cannot prove it further than that, unless there is something in the markers and genetic distances that can help me narrow it down. Any help please? Thank you!
    Have the same-surname matches tested beyond 25 markers?

NPE's can be tricky business, but considering that you have determined that a particular match appeared as a neighbour the odds for there being something to it are probably pretty good. Genetic distance can't necessarily indicate much, mutations happen, for some lineages the rates are different. Have you contacted this match to see if they might know of something? It could be worth investigating.

Comment

Thank you for responding, spruithean. Since the birth-family-surname group has hundreds of members, I would have to guess that yes at least a good percentage has tested beyond 25 markers, but that is a very good point and one I will follow up on definitely.

Regarding contacting the surname match the same as the "neighbors": Yes, but the surname match's ancestor, it seems, lived in a different part of the country and the age does not match up, and nothing is known of any siblings.

I agree that it would be quite the coincidence if the "neighbor" family wasn't involved somehow.

Have you or anyone else had any luck with triangulation? DNA painter?

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Newnana View Post

, and one of the two at 67 markers haplogroups do not match.

YDNA STR testing only predicts basic haplogroup (Partial Haplogroup, old parent branch, ie R-M269), if others on match list have different haplogroup listed, it is likely they have done addition YDNA SNP testing to get a deeper subclade branch of their predicted basic haplogroup.

Haplogroups of matches are not "different", just one is tested deeper then the other.
        If you looked up both in the yDNA tree, one is likely to be the parent subclade of the other.

It is not very likely that a match on the 67 or 111 marker level will have a different final subclade, if both yDNA SNP tested to their final subclade branch.

Last edited by prairielad; 23rd February 2020, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X