X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POP-DNA

Hi everyone

I have a question that is a bit "out there" but I think its worth asking,

As I understand it cells include autosomal dna, x and Y chromosomes and mitochondrial dna, each of which can be tested.

autosomal dna = can be inherited from either parent
    Y-Dna - inherited from the father only
    X-DNA - only passed down from mother to child but not from father to child
    Mitochondrial dna - passed down from mother to daughter only

This makes me wonder whether there might be a form of dna that is passed down from father to child only but not from mother to chikl. It would effectively mirror the inheritance pattern of X-DNA. let's call this POP-dna for convenience.

Obviously POP-dna would be very handy for genealogical research. Has such a form of dna been found?

Thanks Peter

We all have 23 pairs of chromosomes, 46 Single chromosomes (23 chromosomes from mother, 23 chromosomes from father)

Autosomal DNA is termed DNA that is in the first 22 chromosome pairs (chromosomes 1 thru 22)

YDNA and XDNA are part of the 23rd Chromosome pair. The 23rd chromosome pair determines ones gender.

Men's chromosomes 23 pair consists of a Y Chromosome from father and an X chromosome from mother.
    Men are XY, have one X chromosome and one Y Chromosome

Female's chromosome 23 pair consists of an X chromosome from father and and X chromosome from mother.
    Females are XX, have two X chromosomes

Each chromosome pair randomly recombines with the other to form a unique single chromosome when DNA is passed on to child.
    Exception, Males 23rd pair does not recombine as Y and X are not the same.
    Fathers only pass Y Chromosome to sons and their X chromosome to daughters
    Mothers pass on a random recombination of their two X's to each child, both sons and daughters.

XDNA is passed on by both mothers and fathers, but there is no male to male transmission of XDNA,

mtDNA is non chromosomal DNA. It is a separate source of DNA within a cell.
    It is only passed on by mothers to both sons and daughters.
    mtDNA is what gives you your maternal haplogroup
    mtDNA, not XDNA is "Mom-DNA"

So POP-dna is yDNA which is only carried by males, it is inherited virtually unchanged generation to generation, father to son.
    It traces a males patrillineal line (fathers, fathers, father, ect) back in time.
    YDNA gives you your paternal haplogroup

Only males have a maternal and paternal haplogroup.
    Females have only a maternal haplogroup as they carry no yDNA
    Last edited by prairielad; 21st September 2019, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ffhound View Post
      Hi everyone

I have a question that is a bit "out there" but I think its worth asking,

As I understand it cells include autosomal dna, x and Y chromosomes and mitochondrial dna, each of which can be tested.

autosomal dna = can be inherited from either parent
      Y-Dna - inherited from the father only
      X-DNA - only passed down from mother to child but not from father to child
      Mitochondrial dna - passed down from mother to daughter only
      Trying to simplify:

correct (if incomplete)
      - autosomal dna = "can be inherited from either parent" ........... YES, 50% (1 half set of chromosomes) comes from each parent
      - Y-DNA - "inherited from the father only" ..................................YES, and passed on only to sons !

incorrect (and incomplete)
      - X-DNA - "only passed down from mother to child but not from father to child" ...NO, fathers give an X to daughters, mothers give an X to both sons and daughters
      - Mitochondrial DNA - "passed down from mother to daughter only".................. .NO, mothers pass mtDNA to both sons and daughters, because it's in the cytoplasm of the egg.

genetic males are XY (X from mom, Y from dad) + 22 autosomal chromosomes from each parent
      genetic females are XX (X from mom, X from dad) + 22 autosomal chromosomes from each parent
      Everyone has mitochondrial DNA which is passed on through the egg only.

All of this is in any high school biology book, as well as youtube. There are absolutely hundreds of youtube videos that will explain this, many created as student projects.
      Last edited by abuelita; 21st September 2019, 03:01 PM.

Comment

For those who are visually oriented and enjoy watching short videos, also good for understanding about the various types of DNA are the Basic Genetics videos at "Introduction to Molecular Genealogy," by Learn.Genetics (Genetic Science Learning Center).

prairielad and abuelita have described the different inheritance patterns for the four types of DNA well, but bear with me while I reiterate and elaborate:

Looking for a "form of dna that is passed down from father to child only but not from mother to child," is fruitless, as there is no unique type of DNA that is passed by a father to both his male AND female children, other than autosomal (but the mother also gives autosomal). As has been mentioned already, Y-DNA goes from father to son only, but not to daughters, and the father's X chromosome is given to his daughters, but not his sons. So there is no one type of "POP-DNA" that goes from a male to his children of either sex, in a similar way as mtDNA is passed by mothers to their children of either sex. The father does give a separate unique type of DNA to his sons (Y) and daughters (X).
        Last edited by KATM; 21st September 2019, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the correction regarding the inheritance pattern of X-DNA. And yes I am familiar with the various types of chromosomes and dna as they are understood now.

My question was wondering whether there might be (perhaps as yet undiscovered) a from of dna or chromosome that mirrors the inheritance pattern of x-dna but in reverse.

The idea for this comes from noting that the inheritance pattern of mitochondrial dna is symmetrical (opposite to) with the inheritance pattern of Y-DNA. Could there then be something that is symmetrical with the inheritance pattern of X-DNA?

Obviously from your replies nothing of this kind has yet been found but if it did exist it would be rather handy.

cheers Peter

Comment

I believe you are looking at it from a genealogist's perspective and not a biology perspective. The X and Y chromosomes from the father are the closest you will come. The father gives an X to his daughters and a Y to his son's (along with a copy the the other chromosomes). The real problem with X, is that women have two and it is difficult to tell which is originally from the father. Mitochondrial DNA is passed from the mother to off-spring of either sex (since mitochondrial DNA is not sex dependent - We only associate it with mothers, because it is guaranteed to come from the mother (Well, except possibly in the new "3-way" in vitro fertilization where it may come from the egg donor, someone with more expertise will need to step forward and comment). There is no biological "need" to transmit more DNA to an off-spring from a father, so I doubt we see any new DNA sources. Phasing would be a bigger leap forward.

Comment

This is a great and comprehensive discussion, worthy of a bookmark. Thanks!

And, in addition, although a son receives his mother's mtDna, he cannot pass it on. His children receive their mtDna from THEIR mother.

The X a father gives to his daughter, comes from HIS mother.

Comment

Working...
              X