Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KATM
    replied
    In the .pdf linked by Jim Barrett, at the top of page 19, it explains (my bolding)
    A value of 9-10 confirms Native admixture, but a value of anything else does NOT disprove Native admixture.
    Thus your 12-16 result on D9S919 may, or may not, indicate Native admixture. A 12-16 result means it's not definite that it is Native American, so doesn't provide the proof you're seeking of NA ancestry. You should heed the other posts in this thread, #3 by jimbirk, and #5 by abuelita. In your case you need to depend on your paper trail for your Native American ancestor. There does not seem to be enough in your DNA alone to prove it that way.

Are you a direct matrilineal descendant of the Abenaki wife of your French Canadian ancestor (through your mother)? If so, you would have a Native American mtDNA haplogroup, if you've done mtDNA testing. That's about the only possibility left with DNA. If you are not, perhaps you know of, or can find, such a person related to you on that line to do mtDNA testing.

There is a page that includes the Abenaki in the Native Heritage Project website, that you might read. The Abenaki tribe is included in the Ne-Do-Ba-Gwilodwogan (Wabanaki People). As described on that project's page, maybe you can find records to confirm your relationship to the Abenaki ancestor.
    Last edited by KATM; 12th October 2019, 11:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cokie
    replied
    I read that Jim, thanks, but it doesn't explain what 12-16 means for the D9S919 marker test.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    Have you read this? https://www.dna-testing-adviser.com/...estespaper.pdf

Leave a comment:

• cokie
    replied
    So I had the D9S919 marker test done and my results were 12-16. What does that mean?

Leave a comment:

• abuelita
    replied
    Originally posted by cokie View Post
    FTDNA didn't pick up any Native American. I get some Siberian on various Gedmatch admixtures. I think this is from my Ukrainian ancestry.
    I think you should read this (sorry, I'd missed it previously)
    https://dna-explained.com/2019/08/29...city-segments/

key points re your query:

"Native American ethnicity shows distinctly differently from African and European. Sometimes some segments of DNA that we inherit from Native American ancestors are reported as Asian, specifically Siberian, Northern or Eastern Asian."

"All small amounts of ethnicity, even at the continental level, under 2-5%, can be noise and might be incorrect. That’s particularly true of trace amounts, 1% or less. However, that’s not always the case – which is why companies provide those small percentages. When hunting ancestors in the distant past, that small amount of ethnicity may be the only clue we have as to where they reside at detectable levels in our genome."

Leave a comment:

• cokie
    replied
    FTDNA didn't pick up any Native American. I get some Siberian on various Gedmatch admixtures. I think this is from my Ukrainian ancestry.

Leave a comment:

• jimbirk
    replied
    cokie, 8 generations back you had 256 ancestors. On a mathematical basis each one contributed 0.39 percent of your DNA. On a real world DNA basis you have zero DNA from some of those 256 ancestors and more than 0.39 percent from others.

You can't prove anything from such small amounts of DNA. If you can work out the paper trail then you at least you have the paper trail.

Leave a comment:

• abuelita
    replied
    Originally posted by cokie View Post
    There's supposed to be Native American in my ancestry. It shows up in percentages under 2% on various admixtures on Gedmatch. I'm told this is noise but it shoes up in several tests and if it's noise why is it always NA noise? I did have a French Canadian ancestor who did have an Abenaki wife and subsequently a French one who is sometimes confused with the Native American wife and sometimes they are given as the same person. This was 8 generations back so the % of Native American would be under 2%.
    How can I verify any of this.
    And did FTDNA also pick up some? Anything show up as Siberian? I suspect that if it is showing up using various estimators there is something there. You might want to check https://dna-explained.com/2012/12/18...try-using-dna/

There is also an American Indian project here at FTDNA. https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background In looking up links for you I've just found that someone who is in my tree was supposedly Accomack. !! Well, nothing of that is left in my DNA. (I'm the token Euro in a mostly indigenous family)

Leave a comment:

• cokie
    started a topic Native American dna.

Native American dna.

There's supposed to be Native American in my ancestry. It shows up in percentages under 2% on various admixtures on Gedmatch. I'm told this is noise but it shoes up in several tests and if it's noise why is it always NA noise? I did have a French Canadian ancestor who did have an Abenaki wife and subsequently a French one who is sometimes confused with the Native American wife and sometimes they are given as the same person. This was 8 generations back so the % of Native American would be under 2%.
    How can I verify any of this.
Working...
X