Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I on the right Track - Revell Family - in layman's language

Hello

I completed both Family Trees Y-DNA 67 marker and 111 marker analysis as well as uploading my
    Ancestry autosomal DNA test results.

My last name is Revell, so I was very surprised that no Revells appeared as matches when the results
    from Family Tree DNA were published for both of the tests I had analysed.

The 3 names that appeared for the 67 marker tests were Laird, Ralph & Relph at 3, 4 & 7 genetic distance,
    no names were identified for the 111 marker test, the same 3 and a Busch for the 37 markers and of course
    38 pages for the 12 markers. None of the 67 or 37 marker individuals had a searchable tree, or it was set to
    private.

I then set about by looking at all matches with substantial family trees on this Family Tree site and after hours of
    searching trees, I found about half a dozen with a relationship to the Revell family from Derbyshire UK of whom
    several members had emigrated to the US in the early 1600s.

Anecdotally, could I assume my half a dozen finds of Revell, from the same Derbyshire family has some validity
    in terms of a patrilineal relationship with me?

The only name that came close to Revell overall was a Revels at 12 marker, at genetic distance 0 and although
    their tree was a little difficult to understand, the Revells from Derbyshire mentioned above did feature in his tree,
    albeit, again very early, around the 1600s and on the female side of the tree.

I then searched for Revells among the matches in Family Finder, where only one of the four people identified
    had a substantial family tree, again featuring the Derbyshire Revell family, and again Revell's first encounter with
    that particular tree was around the 1650s, having emigrated.

I live in Australia and my ancestor emigrated here in 1848, so I’m thinking any relationship with US Revells will have to
    be early as they first left Ireland and England for America in the early 1600s.

Does it sound as though I’m on the right track and anecdotally does it sound like I’m connected to the Derbyshire Revells?

There's a Revell surname project which you could join:

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/revell/dna-results

It would also be useful to join a project for your haplogroup.

I'd be curious about any Ralph connections and the Laird one. My understanding is that Australia has a lot of Ralph's. Did any of those Y-67 matches test at the Y-111 level? If any did and you no longer match, I'd write them off. If they only tested Y-67, you might encourage them to upgrade to Y-111.

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
      There's a Revell surname project which you could join:

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/revell/dna-results

It would also be useful to join a project for your haplogroup.

I'd be curious about any Ralph connections and the Laird one. My understanding is that Australia has a lot of Ralph's. Did any of those Y-67 matches test at the Y-111 level? If any did and you no longer match, I'd write them off. If they only tested Y-67, you might encourage them to upgrade to Y-111.
      Many thanks for your quick reply, appreciated.

I did become a member of that Project and perhaps I should persist, and maybe I should have asked my question there.

I have done my family tree to Gt Gt Grandparents and there are no Ralphs, or Relph or any of the others. I was
      guessing that maybe they had a Revell earlier in their trees. I hope it's not a case of illegitimacy early on, who knows.

I guess I should sit tight, do more research and wait. Any American cousins would be very distant and far removed.

Comment

Working...
      X