FMS Match but No FF Match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS Match but No FF Match

I have one FMS Match with a Genetic Distance of Zero. This person does not show up as a DNA match on Family Finder. Is this person's match too distant to show on FF or is there a hiccup somewhere?

Even third cousins only match us 90% of the time, and more distant cousins increasingly less. Certainly it's also true that your zero distance match may be too distant.

On the Maternal Lineage Page in the FTDNA Learning Center, it says
    Your mtDNA exact matches may be recent, but they may also be hundreds or thousands of years in the past.
    and
    The wide range in the test results does not prevent your results from being useful. You can use this clear maternal line to provide evidence to support a relationship. You first trace two or more female lineage descendants of a single woman utilizing traditional genealogy research. The descendants then test their mtDNA. If they are exact matches, it is evidence that supports the relationship. Not matching usually disproves the relationship.

Planned comparisons are the best choice. However, you can still find your common ancestor with a match. To do so, use your known maternal genealogy. For each match, look for common geographic locations on the direct maternal line. Work through each of your ancestors on this line as well as their daughters, their daughters’ daughters, and so forth.

Comparing genealogical records is vital when using mtDNA matching to help you in your research. You need to enter all that you know about your direct maternal line in your myFTDNA account.
    The chart on that page shows that with the mtDNA Full Sequence test, there is a 50% confidence interval that a match will be within about 5 generations (125 years), and a 95% confidence interval that a match will be within 22 generations (about 550 years). Those figures have been questioned in other posts in this forum, though.

Does this match have a tree? Do they seem to be from the same place as your maternal direct line ancestors? If there's no such information, perhaps you could contact the match to find out if there could be a connection.

My closest mtDNA match is at genetic distance 1, but has never replied in four years. He does not show as having taken the Family Finder test, so I can't compare him there. I think his maternal line ancestor is from the same place as mine, too, because I only have the one match at GD 1 (none at zero), and on the Ancestral Origins page, that is the country of origin shown for the maternal ancestor of the only GD 1 match on that page.

Comment

Originally posted by katporter View Post
      I have one FMS Match with a Genetic Distance of Zero. This person does not show up as a DNA match on Family Finder. Is this person's match too distant to show on FF or is there a hiccup somewhere?
      As suggested above - another possibility would simply be they have not taken the FamilyFinder Test -- so be sure to look and see does FTDNA show the person has taken the FamilyFinder Test?

Comment

I've done the FMS and FF test. The FMS test shows that I have 8 matches at 0 distance and 1 each at 1, 2, and 3 distance. Of the 11 matches only one hasn't taken the FF test. Of all the other 10 FMS matches none are close enough to register as a match to me on the FF test. I've been in contact with daughter of the one individual who is at a 0 match and hasn't done the FF test and we can't find any matching info, names or places etc. The FMS is good for confirming suspected possible kin, but for discovering matches it can be disappointing.

Comment

Working...
        X