Matches have gone!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matches have gone!!

I can still access my FF matches...but when I click on my matches...there is only one person. Yet when I click on my matches map...there are quite a few red balloons scattered about...saying they are direct matches...whatever that means. Also the solitary match I have on my matches page says genetic distance of 2. What does that mean please???? and where have all my other matches gone?

I think you are talking about mtDNA matches. You mentioned Family Finder matches, but then go on to say "genetic distance." Family Finder matches do not have "genetic distance," but mtDNA matches do.

It sounds to me that you have tested at the mtDNA Full Sequence level (vs. the mtDNA Plus test), and so far only have one match at the Full Sequence level, at a genetic distance of 2. It seems that the default setting on the mtDNA Matches Maps page is for HVR1 matches, so you will see only the balloons for matches at that level. Most people have a lot more mtDNA matches at the HVR1 and HVR2 levels than at the Full Sequence level. FTDNA only shows HVR1 and HVR2 matches that are at a zero genetic distance ("Exact"). That is why you are seeing so many red balloons. To see a map that only shows your Full Sequence match(es), go to your match page, and select "mtDNA Full Sequence" from the drop-down list at the top left of the map.

See the mtDNA Matches Page in the FTDNA Learning Center, where for one question it says:
    On the mtDNA - Matches page, are only exact matches shown?

There are currently two sets of rules for mtDNA matching.
    • For those who have tested HVR1 (mtDNA) or HVR1 and HVR2 (mtDNAPlus), only exact matches are shown. SmartMatching is also used to prevent a match between different haplogroups.
    • For those who have tested the mtDNA Full Sequence (mtFullSequence), three differences are allowed. These differences include cases of heteroplasmy. Two high frequency insertion/deletion locations are completely excluded from difference counts. These are mutations at positions 309 and 315.
    On the mtDNA Matches Page, you can select which list you see by choosing one from the "Regions" list at the top of the page. The choices are: HVR1, HVR2, or (for Full Sequence) the HVR1, HVR2, Coding Regions. The Full Sequence test includes the HVR1 and HVR2 regions. The "HVR1, HVR2, Coding Regions" list of matches means that those matches match you on all three levels.

Comment

Correction: in the last sentence of the second paragraph of my previous post, I said "go to your match page," when I meant "go to your mtDNA Matches Maps page." The latter page is where you'll see the drop-menu with the list including "mtDNA Full Sequence."

Comment

Working...
      X