Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Important are SNPs? Gedmatch

Hi,

I have quite a few DNA matches with descendants of the same travelling family but have been unable to make a connection so far. I have about 20 matches at 7cm-11cm but they all have quite low SNPs (200-300 usually). On normal Gedmatch these wouldn't count as matches but they do on Gedmatch Genesis.

I'm not sure what to make of this - is Genesis more accurate than Gedmatch or do you think these could just be false matches?

Any advice appreciated, I'm a bit confused!

Thanks

Originally posted by Lana2017 View Post
    Hi,

I have quite a few DNA matches with descendants of the same travelling family but have been unable to make a connection so far. I have about 20 matches at 7cm-11cm but they all have quite low SNPs (200-300 usually). On normal Gedmatch these wouldn't count as matches but they do on Gedmatch Genesis.

I'm not sure what to make of this - is Genesis more accurate than Gedmatch or do you think these could just be false matches?

Any advice appreciated, I'm a bit confused!

Thanks
    A fair percentage of matches at 7-11 cM will be false matches, even with more SNPs, but the problem is exacerbated when the SNP overlap is low. My own rule of thumb is to look only at matches where the longest segment is at least 15 cM, preferably 20 cM. These will also show up as matches in my phased data (which sorts out paternal and maternal sides).

Comment

Working...
    X