Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dna
    replied
    @Rheiner, I have no idea how things are working behind the scene, but I recommend the following two articles from the Family Tree DNA Learning Center to the readers of this threadSummary: FTDNA is displaying 12 STRs, but it is using 2 more STRs in order to predict the haplogroup. If their proprietary predictor does not give a good result, then the SNP test is used to unequivocally determine the haplogroup.

Due to its low resolution, Y-DNA12 cannot be used anymore for anything but large population studies. Convergence is readily apparent.

I was not able to find the original FTDNA announcement about displaying only matches that are within one's major haplogroup (as predicted or determined by SNP testing). Maybe someone has archived it and could post the actual wording.

Mr. W.

Leave a comment:

• Rheiner
    replied
    Well, then, the algorithm you've mentioned is either inaccurate or you're mistaken.
    Originally posted by dna View Post
    At 12 markers I would prefer to say low resolution. You might not be aware, but FTDNA had to add a special algorithm that with 12 markers displays to you only matches from your major haplogroup.

My uncle has dozens of matches at 67 markers with TMRCA estimated to be around 1800 years ago - convergence.

TMRCA to some of his exact matches at 12 marker is estimated to be around 2200 years ago.

Mr. W.

Leave a comment:

• bartarl260
    replied
    I have GD0 matches @12 markers who have a MRCA estimated in the 5,000+ years ago range. 12 marker Convergence matches are definitely a thing.

Leave a comment:

• dna
    replied
    At 12 markers I would prefer to say low resolution. You might not be aware, but FTDNA had to add a special algorithm that with 12 markers displays to you only matches from your major haplogroup.

My uncle has dozens of matches at 67 markers with TMRCA estimated to be around 1800 years ago - convergence.

TMRCA to some of his exact matches at 12 marker is estimated to be around 2200 years ago.

Mr. W.

Leave a comment:

• Rheiner
    started a topic Haplogroup mismatch but markers match

Haplogroup mismatch but markers match

How do I reconcile the list of "matches" with the fact that many of my matches aren't in the same haplogroup? I'm downstream of R-U152, but lots of guys downstream of R-L21 match me 12 for 12. Why is this? Is it convergence? Thanks!
Working...
X