9% Jewish result for a Bulgarian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
    The opposite situation sometimes happens with Ashkenazic Jews who score several points in the "Southeast Europe" category in MyOrigins 2.0 even though they don't have recent convert ancestors from peoples like Italians, Balkan Slavs, or Greeks. That really is picking up signals of ancestry from ancient and early-medieval times.

Family Tree DNA did select correct representatives of the Ashkenazic and Sephardic communities to form their reference samples, and the results are often good, but this doesn't prevent MyOrigins from making mistakes on occasion.

The Christian populations of Europe that actually do sometimes have distant Jewish ancestors, without knowing it before getting genetically tested, include: Sicilians, Spaniards, Basques, Portuguese, Germans, Poles, Ukrainians, Rusyns. For them, they have Jewish ancestors about 250-600 years back.

There are many Bulgarians in GEDmatch and they never match Jews on valid autosomal segments so your Bulgarian father-in-law's absence of Jewish matches is exactly as I would expect. There is nothing more I have to discuss about this theme.
    Khazaria, do you think the Sephardic category from MyOrigins 2 is accurate? I have my mother and my maternal aunt tested, and both of them show some % of it. I also had my grandmother tested, and she has none of it (she is of Italian heritage), so I guess it has to come from my grandfather, who was 100% Portuguese as far as I know. I'm posting their results. How can I know if it's real?

comp.PNG

Comment

Dear EMC, as we've discussed before, there would have to be Jewish cousin matches. That is the most important thing to look for in your mother's and maternal aunt's Family Finder match lists. You previously told us in March 2017 that you "found only one match [to your own DNA] that is Jewish for sure, a woman with family from Russia and Belarus." But it is possible, even likely, that your mother and aunt have more Jewish matches than you.

Send me your mother's and aunt's complete Family Finder match lists as a spreadsheet and I will tell you if I spot Ashkenazic and/or Sephardic Jews (I can't help with identifying Italki Jews) and give you their names. The format of this file's name is ######_Family_Finder_Matches_2019####.csv
      Last edited by khazaria; 11th March 2019, 05:28 PM.

Comment

EMC, I found 3 people of Ashkenazic Jewish heritage in the Family Finder match lists of your mother and aunt. 2 of those people appear simultaneously in both lists. I think they are real matches and this would confirm the presence of the Sephardic element in their MyOrigins estimates, although MyOrigins greatly exaggerates the percentages they inherited. This morning, I sent you a private message listing the people, so be sure to read that.

Comment

I got back the Y67 results yesterday. They "predict" Haplogroup J-M172. Obviously, it is a rather different matter from autosomnal DNA but the last thing they say about that is 'as with other populations with Mediterranean ancestry, this lineage is found at substantial frequencies within Jewish populations'. I had a look at the wikipedia entry for this group. Many populations in the middle east and caucasus seem to have significant parts of their population carrying it. Interestingly Bulgaria is not one of them but 15% of the Sephardi Jews apparently test with this haplogroup as do 24% of Turks and 10% and 48% Greeks, depending on the region.

Khazaria, can you tell me if there is any research published on the genetics of the Jewish population of Solon (Thessalonikki)?
          Last edited by mde; 17th March 2019, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
            EMC, I found 3 people of Ashkenazic Jewish heritage in the Family Finder match lists of your mother and aunt. 2 of those people appear simultaneously in both lists. I think they are real matches and this would confirm the presence of the Sephardic element in their MyOrigins estimates, although MyOrigins greatly exaggerates the percentages they inherited. This morning, I sent you a private message listing the people, so be sure to read that.
            Thanks a lot for your help, Khazaria!

Comment

Working...
            X