Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American 0r Canadian?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • American 0r Canadian?

    Thinking of a DNA test and would like know if this would tell me if my father came from America or Canada. My father was a solder in WW2 and stationed in the UK. My mother died in childbirth with me and I was adopted, so never knew where my father came from. I would be grateful for any help in pointing me in the right direction. Chris.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Castledene
    Thinking of a DNA test and would like know if this would tell me if my father came from America or Canada. My father was a solder in WW2 and stationed in the UK. My mother died in childbirth with me and I was adopted, so never knew where my father came from. I would be grateful for any help in pointing me in the right direction. Chris.
    The DNATribes autosomal test may have some Canadian reference populations in their database. And there is a Canadian forensics site that accepts the same markers. BTW why do you suppose your father may have been Canadian? Do you know his name?

    Here's the link - www.dnatribes.com

    Tom

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Tom

      All I know is his name was Charles, no surname, more than likely Canadian but could be American.

      Chris

      Comment


      • #4
        You could take a y-DNA test and possibly hook-up with a surname that way. Test as many markers as you can possibly afford and upload to Ysearch and other y-db's. Hope for a rare haplotype and see to whom you match.

        Tom

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks, Tom.

          Chris

          Comment


          • #6
            Npe-ww2

            Originally posted by Castledene
            Thinking of a DNA test and would like know if this would tell me if my father came from America or Canada. My father was a solder in WW2 and stationed in the UK. My mother died in childbirth with me and I was adopted, so never knew where my father came from. I would be grateful for any help in pointing me in the right direction. Chris.
            Dear Castledene,
            I'm also one of the thousands,like you,born between 1943 and 1946(I'm from 1945).
            Sorry,for asking...but are you a male...than try and go directly for the 37 markers-test with Ftdna.
            I was lucky...for my guy had Irish roots...and came from the off-spring of Niall of the 9 hostages .
            I was born in Belgium(1945) and adopted also.
            Please stay with us!
            Nas NPE WW2.
            (They just did their duty...so young...and never had a normal life).

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi Nas

              Yes, male. I am now thinking of going ahead with y-DNA37 test with FTDNA and will try and add my marker to as many data base's as I can. Do you know any good ones?
              I don't blame the boy's during the war, as you say they were a long way from home and most people lived day by day as they did'nt know if it was going to be there last. I understand my mother went out with him for a long time, but he was sent home before I was born in April 1946.

              It would just be nice to know my roots!

              Chris

              Comment


              • #8
                Castledene

                Originally posted by Castledene
                Hi Nas

                Yes, male. I am now thinking of going ahead with y-DNA37 test with FTDNA and will try and add my marker to as many data base's as I can. Do you know any good ones?
                I don't blame the boy's during the war, as you say they were a long way from home and most people lived day by day as they did'nt know if it was going to be there last. I understand my mother went out with him for a long time, but he was sent home before I was born in April 1946.

                It would just be nice to know my roots!

                Chris
                Hello,
                Tomcat is the specialist in DNA-questions.I'm sure he will guide you.
                Good luck!
                Nas.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You ought to be able to save a little money by signing-on to a surname project under your adoptive surname. Or you could get a test free from Sorensen but you might have to await results for the better part of a year.

                  Ysearch is FTDNA's y-db. There is another, Yhrd. You may be able to post results to Sorensen, you can certainly search their db. Others would know better than I. You might start a thread on this topic/your search on the y-DNA forum.

                  Also, FTDNA offers combined tests - y- and mt-DNA together.

                  Tom

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tomcat
                    You ought to be able to save a little money by signing-on to a surname project under your adoptive surname. Or you could get a test free from Sorensen but you might have to await results for the better part of a year.
                    There's also an Adoptees project:
                    http://www.ftdna.com/surname_join.as...&projecttype=S

                    Sorensen requires a pedigree chart, plus they don't directly provide your results -- you need to "find" your results in their database and can't simply search by name -- so that's not a good option here.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi Castledene,
                      I am also a descendant of a US/Canadian serviceman. Are you interested in trying to find him? I have some good contacts if you (or anyone else) is...just PM me!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Castledene
                        Hi Tom

                        All I know is his name was Charles, no surname, more than likely Canadian but could be American.

                        Chris
                        If you have not already, you might look-into whether the state in which you were adopted allows disclosure of information to adoptees. Some do, some don't.

                        Tom

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I can't believe no one said this before, but there is no way that a DNA test can tell you whether a person was born in the U.S. or Canada. It just cannot specify that info.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Canadian or American

                            Originally posted by Jason
                            I can't believe no one said this before, but there is no way that a DNA test can tell you whether a person was born in the U.S. or Canada. It just cannot specify that info.
                            Hello,
                            Of course it can't.
                            But remember,we are talking about WW2-cases here.
                            With some paper-research in military records and
                            other information it just might be possible to get the
                            exact confirmation.Of course you have to do paper-re
                            search.
                            It's all a question of putting it all together .
                            Nas

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Paper trail would be easy in USA military records and freedom of information act etc but in Canada no such luck records are closed. All I'm looking for is to see if I have any North Amercain Roots and hope for a DNA match if not for me my children in the future as batabase's get bigger. No much to go on when you only have your fathers first name Charles and your mother died in childbirth with you. Birth Cert shows father as "Blank" adoption records have no record of father, so where do I go!!!.
                              Chris

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X