Famous Relatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GvdM
    It just means your line mutated off the modal. You could be the last of a line, or nobody close to you has been tested. Could be a lot of reasons. There are families that have only, for example, one male left from a long line that stretches back to the 12th century. It would be odd to see matches for that person. I have no 12 marker matches. Not even with my cousin. But we match 66/67 when out to 67 markers. A person that is close to the modal for their haplogroup would naturaly have more matches than someone farther from it. Then again, someone can have a 12/12 match but at 37 markers be a 25/37 so no relation what-so-ever.

Hope that helped.
    Thanks GvdM for the explanation of possibilities. I recently put the 25 markers of my 12/12 match into ySearch and his were a few 21/25, a couple 19/25 and then things fell into the 10/12 range (except for my 12/12). One hope is that when my 25 comes in, we may be out "there" together. At least that would be more helpful in tracking down my general ethnicity.

When it comes to fame, there are familiar last names in searches from various places, but I can't tell if they are the real McCoy. I have Hancock (several Johns), Carter (no Billy or Jimmy, though), Van Winkle (but no one named "Rip" shows himself), and Jones (sans Tom, Brian or Grace).

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M
      Thanks GvdM for the explanation of possibilities. I recently put the 25 markers of my 12/12 match into ySearch and his were a few 21/25, a couple 19/25 and then things fell into the 10/12 range (except for my 12/12). One hope is that when my 25 comes in, we may be out "there" together. At least that would be more helpful in tracking down my general ethnicity.

When it comes to fame, there are familiar last names in searches from various places, but I can't tell if they are the real McCoy. I have Hancock (several Johns), Carter (no Billy or Jimmy, though), Van Winkle (but no one named "Rip" shows himself), and Jones (sans Tom, Brian or Grace).
      Robert E Lee's mother was Anne Hill Carter, but I don't know if she decended from the same Carters as Jimmy and Billy. However, those Carters seem to have been also of Y-Hg I :

http://www.joepayne.org/lee.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rauch
        I have 28 matches with different surnames on 12 marker level. No matches on 25, 37 & 67 markers. Depending on my haplotype, does that mean that Mr. Hlinko and I are distantly related more than 1,000 years ago?
        You may have no relation to him ever, a thousand years is only about 4 or 5 mutations at 37 markers. When you say no matches at 25, 37 & 67 do you mean? no exact matches or no close matches. It is quite possible no one you are related to has had their DNA tested.

Comment

Working...
        X