Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rare DNA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rare DNA

    I just got back my 25 marker yDNA test. I had no matches.
    I was told I have a fairly rare "haplotype" yDNA signature.

    My ancient European ancestors most likely would be in Scandinavia. My haplogroup is "I" the "Viking DNA profile"
    My REO shows quite a number of 11/12 and 10/12 matches clustered in England, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and especially Iceland.

    The theory is that my unbroken male-to-male ancestry traces back to the Vikings who invaded the British Isles during the Middle Ages.

    Can anyone help me find a data base that I might find a match.

    Thanks
    JohnnyB

  • #2
    You might try Ybase. the address is http://www.ybase.org/default.asp
    I am also of the "I" haplogroup.

    Mike Mallett

    Comment


    • #3
      ybase

      Originally posted by Mike Mallett
      You might try Ybase. the address is http://www.ybase.org/default.asp
      I am also of the "I" haplogroup.

      Mike Mallett
      Hi Mike,

      I'm already in ybase and have found no matches yet

      John Brown

      Comment


      • #4
        Hey John,

        I was put in group I (that is Haplogroup 2 if I remember) as well by Oxford. I doubted my results a bit, so I asked & conjoled Oxford until they gave me more information as to how they exactly decide it. You can't go by 'matches' as if you're playing the lottery or a slot machine. Think of it more as poker where certain special hands are given special names. Here is how they told me they got their results:

        DYS392 - my value 14: A result at this marker of 12 or more directs us onto a certain path (I don't know this path).

        DYS388 - my value 13: We then looked at marker DYS388. Your result of 13 at this marker suggested that your most likely haplogroup is haplogroup 2. (i.e. Germanic in old history)

        Below are 2 tables Oxford sent to me on the accurancy of their results once they actually assign the person to a group (1st table) and the detection rate given a Y DNA sample of membership in a Haplogroup (table 2). As you can see, the results are pretty poor for Haplogroup 2.

        Placement Accuracy:
        Hg 1 - 97%
        Hg 2 - 67%
        Hg 3 - 86%
        Hg 21 - 61%
        Hg 2/9 -99%

        Detection Rate:
        Hg 1 - 96%
        Hg 2 - 21%
        Hg 3 - 86%
        Hg 21 - 86%
        Hg 2/9 -(2-76%)(9-94%)


        As far as the surprisely large number of matches with Iceland given its small population and remore location; that's what caused the high number of matches to begin. A high percentage of Icelanders have DNA samples in these databases because scientists (in particular, Western scientists) recognized the value of such a small isolated Western population that keeps detailed written genealogical records to genetics research. I remember reading several years ago that a consortium had plans to take a DNA sample from every Icelander (I doubt they got that far though).

        Best Regards,
        John

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by B52
          Hey John,

          I was put in group I (that is Haplogroup 2 if I remember) as well by Oxford. I doubted my results a bit, so I asked & conjoled Oxford until they gave me more information as to how they exactly decide it. You can't go by 'matches' as if you're playing the lottery or a slot machine. Think of it more as poker where certain special hands are given special names. Here is how they told me they got their results:

          DYS392 - my value 14: A result at this marker of 12 or more directs us onto a certain path (I don't know this path).

          DYS388 - my value 13: We then looked at marker DYS388. Your result of 13 at this marker suggested that your most likely haplogroup is haplogroup 2. (i.e. Germanic in old history)

          Below are 2 tables Oxford sent to me on the accurancy of their results once they actually assign the person to a group (1st table) and the detection rate given a Y DNA sample of membership in a Haplogroup (table 2). As you can see, the results are pretty poor for Haplogroup 2.

          Placement Accuracy:
          Hg 1 - 97%
          Hg 2 - 67%
          Hg 3 - 86%
          Hg 21 - 61%
          Hg 2/9 -99%

          Detection Rate:
          Hg 1 - 96%
          Hg 2 - 21%
          Hg 3 - 86%
          Hg 21 - 86%
          Hg 2/9 -(2-76%)(9-94%)


          As far as the surprisely large number of matches with Iceland given its small population and remore location; that's what caused the high number of matches to begin. A high percentage of Icelanders have DNA samples in these databases because scientists (in particular, Western scientists) recognized the value of such a small isolated Western population that keeps detailed written genealogical records to genetics research. I remember reading several years ago that a consortium had plans to take a DNA sample from every Icelander (I doubt they got that far though).

          Best Regards,
          John
          Hey B52,

          Thanks for the info. Is that Oxford University, England? They now have my DNA profile and will check their data base for matches.
          I'm also waiting to hear from University College of London, hoping they will do the same.

          My DYS392 is 11, DYS388 is 14 and DYS391 is 10. I understand to be considered in the Viking group 391 must read 10.

          Anyway hope to find a match someday.

          Regards back at you,
          John

          Comment


          • #6
            You could try the "Y-Base" database at:
            www.ybase.org
            Good luck.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by camcca
              You could try the "Y-Base" database at:
              www.ybase.org
              Good luck.
              Hi,

              Looked there as well, still no matches.

              Thanks,

              John

              Comment


              • #8
                Oxford

                Hey John,

                Yes Oxford, but Oxford Ancestors. Its a spin off by a professor there (Sykes) much in the same way MIT & Stanford researchers are always spinning off companies (I chose the wrong career :-(

                I'm not sure what they test for Norse Viking, which would only be a subset of all Norse Vikings anyway. Its a good selling point though, Oxford Ancestors in England have their Vikings and FTdna in America have their Indians. If you're not interested in the history of it why bother?

                Eventually you'll get a match when enough people have tested. I actually have a 25 out of 25 match, but the match is in an anonymous dB of all the luck.

                Best Regards,
                John

                Originally posted by JohnnyB
                Hey B52,

                Thanks for the info. Is that Oxford University, England? They now have my DNA profile and will check their data base for matches.
                I'm also waiting to hear from University College of London, hoping they will do the same.

                My DYS392 is 11, DYS388 is 14 and DYS391 is 10. I understand to be considered in the Viking group 391 must read 10.

                Anyway hope to find a match someday.

                Regards back at you,
                John

                Comment


                • #9
                  Rare DNA

                  John,

                  I also have DYS392 = 11, DYS388 = 14 and DYS391 = 10. Are your results in the public part of FTDNA? Thanks.

                  Phil

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    No matches

                    JohnnyB,

                    Just thought I would mention a thought I had when I read your posting about your having no matches. Do you have your public/private block unchecked in your FTDNA account personal data section? If it is checked, uncheck it and then look again for matches in the FTDNA system. If you have it unchecked and you still have no matches, even at 12 markers, then indeed you must have a rare haplotype. That is both good and bad, depending on your personal situation and objectives for taking the Y-DNA test.

                    Best wishes,

                    Charles Kerchner
                    http://www.kerchner.com/dna-info.htm

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I Haplotype

                      Johnny B,

                      My haplotype is also an I with a 10 at 391, 14 at 388 and 11 at 392. Does anyone know what nationality or section of Northern Europe this grouping is from? Is it Scandanavian?

                      My results are posted on the public section.

                      Jim L

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pgo1963
                        John,

                        I also have DYS392 = 11, DYS388 = 14 and DYS391 = 10. Are your results in the public part of FTDNA? Thanks.

                        Phil
                        Hey Phil,

                        Its on the YDNA.org or whatever its called. Search for Grogan. Oxford's mistake was their algorithm was weak and guessed wrong that my paternal line was derived from the Anglo-Saxon migrations. I knew all along that it had to be Irish going back at least 700-800 years just from stereotypes alone. That is why such saying do wind up being stereotypes afterall :-)

                        Oxford's hook is based & biased on what the English doing this as a hobby want to hear.

                        Still it was very interesting to see how everything eventually fit together how I always expected it too.

                        Best Regards,
                        John

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Charles,

                          Appearantly, I also have a rare haplotype since I have no 12/12 matches in Ysearch, Ybase, YHRD or Sorensen. With one exception, the mismatch has always been DYS19/394= 14 with DYS393= 15. The one DYS19=14 that I have found has a mismatch at DYS439. My results are in 67YCR at Ysearch and H4FTY in Ybase. I am a member of the Johnson/Johnston/Johnstone surname project and my data is also in the Border Reivers project.

                          My paper trail goes cold in North Carolina in the early 1700's and my closest matches in the surname project have dead ends in that area also. One of the one step mismatches in SMGF is a Johnson with direct connections back to Denmark and Saxony.

                          FTDNA has predicted my haplogroup as I and I am availing myself of their offer of the $50 SNP test. The results should be back mid-December.

                          Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

                          Tony Johnson

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Open question for R1b matches

                            I'm not sure how to interpret my FTDNA results.

                            The results for 12 Marker Y-DNA (125), list several 12/25 matches with persons sharing my surname. Therefore we are related within genealogic time.

                            The results for 25 Marker Matches (17), Genetic Distance - 1, list three 24/25 matches and none share my surname. Therefore, we are not related within genealogic time.

                            Are these the correct interpretations of the data?

                            Each of my surname matches have tested 25 or more y-markers, why don't I have any 24/25 or 25/25 matches within my surname? If we are related, shouldn't I have more than only twelve matches?

                            Thanks

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X