Should I do the M343 SNP test?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I do the M343 SNP test?

Here's a beginner question. On Family Tree DNA (I did the mtDNA, Y-111, & Family Finder tests) they say my Y Haplogroup is M-R269, which is expected as my heritage is Scots. On my FTDNA home page is an offer to "Get 154 SNPs related to M343". How would that help me?

If I understand this correctly, and, please correct me if I'm wrong), the Y Haplogroup is an STR test? So would this give me more SNP data as opposed to STR data?

Thanks for any help!

Originally posted by BruceC View Post
    Here's a beginner question. On Family Tree DNA (I did the mtDNA, Y-111, & Family Finder tests) they say my Y Haplogroup is M-R269, which is expected as my heritage is Scots. On my FTDNA home page is an offer to "Get 154 SNPs related to M343". How would that help me?

If I understand this correctly, and, please correct me if I'm wrong), the Y Haplogroup is an STR test? So would this give me more SNP data as opposed to STR data?

Thanks for any help!
    Haplogroups are predicted from Y STR results. The only way to determine a Haplogroup is by SNP testing. The suggested SNP pack will determine a down stream Haplogroup. It will not determine your most down stream known Haplogroup. If you really care about getting the most down stream Haplogroup you should order Big Y 500. If you are going to order it I'd wait for a good sale - maybe the year end sale. Another, much cheaper option would be to join the "R R1b ALL Subclades" project, see which group they place you in and then look for a close STR match in that project who has already ordered Big Y 500 and test for their down stream SNP.

Comment

Thanks Jim. I will go and find that project!

Comment

I say no. R1b is sooooo big that it takes two SNP Packs. The R-M343 will get you down many levels. But there are a lot more to go. So the M343 will point you to the next SNP Pack

I think the prices are $89 + $119. About $210. Occasionally on sale. Not often

The better thing to do is just buy the BigY500 upgrade... During the last years, there were big sales in Dec plus Coupons and you CAN combine them. So Sales + Coupon + Discount for 111 and the price will probably be in the $300s. Why spend $210 for two appetizers when you can get the entire dinner for $300 something.

You can also try looking at your matches at 67 and 111 and see where they ended up. You could make an intelligent gamble to pick the second SNP Pack only. Similar to what Jim said above about scanning or joining the R1b group, which is a good idea in itself.

Comment

Working...
        X